Thread: Wild Thing

Question Wild Thing

I posted about a month ago for my scratch built Wild Thing Boat (Model Boat Oct 2000). I have a Graupner Speed 700BB 9,6 volt motor. I finished painting and readied the boat for the maiden voyage.
    2 3000 NiMh batteries in series. Disappointed in performance. It left the shore like I expected it WOW!, then less than a minute, the speed dropped and I brought it back to shore.
    The boat with the electronics weigh in at approx. 5 pounds. With the motor and 2 NiCad batteries it weighed 8 pounds. That's a lot of weigh to overcome.
    I am now looking into changing over to a brushless motor. It will be a lot lighter.

On Amazon, a motor/ESC combo 3660 3800KV with 80A brushless ESC is listed.
    Can get it with Programming card or Motor Heat Sink. Which is best?
    Is this a good combo for this boat? It has a 5mm shaft so I figure it has to be a fairly potent motor.

Boat is 32" built with 1/8" light weight plywood.

Boben

Cool

Don?t get that combo! The motor Kv is way too high for anything over 2S (7.4 volts). Now assuming it is the 32? version, a good sport setup would be a 3660 motor with a Kv between 1800-2000 on 4S. An 80 amp ESC would be a safe minimum. Pics of your setup and transom would be helpful.

OTOH what prop were you using with the 700 motor? If the speed dropped off dramatically then either the batteries are weak/not fully charged or the motor or ESC overheated.

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

I am using a 440 Octura prop, 3 blade.
    Marine 50A ESC for brushed motor.
    2 - 3000 NiMH SC, 7.2V, ONYXP5311, new batteries August 2020.

Not so sure my battery charger is working. Got it from Radio Shack years ago.
    Just bought a new charger.