Thread: Rescue Boat ideas..

Default Rescue Boat ideas..

The only way my wife will allow another RC boat in our home is if it?s a rescue boat lol. What are some designs that work for you? Pics would be awesome.

Thanks doodes!

This is your one time opportunity. Buy the biggest, baddest, most expensive boat you've had your eye on. When it arrives, build a PVC pipe and pool noodle raft for it. You now have a rescue boat. You're welcome.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Quote Originally Posted by fweasel View Post
    This is your one time opportunity. Buy the biggest, baddest, most expensive boat you've had your eye on. When it arrives, build a PVC pipe and pool noodle raft for it. You now have a rescue boat. You're welcome.
    I like your idea. Unfortunately, when he goes to use it as a rescue boat (which, you KNOW, his wife IS going to make him do, to "prove" it's a 'rescue' boat...or, should I say, to prove it's NOT), the boat will be forced into moving so slowly (due to the rescue platform), that the motor & ESC will overheat to the point of being 'killed'. Then, it's "bye-bye" 'rescue' boat.

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place

Watch me rescue a Proboat Jetjam with an HPR150...
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Quote Originally Posted by fweasel View Post
    Already tried that. lol

I'm using a ProBoat ShockWave as my rescue boat...with several modifications, so as to make her a better "rescue boat".

First, since this boat is designed to go fast, and knowing that pushing a rescue platform will cause her to go slow...pushing the platform, plus a rescued boat, will make her go even showed...this would cause the stock electronics to overheat, especially since little-to-no water would be going through the water lines. My solution for this was to replace the stock ESC with a HW Seaking 120A ESC, and replace the Dynamite 2000kV motor with a Leopard 3650 1350kV motor. While greatly slowing down the boat (you don't need "fast" when trying to 'capture' a bit being rescued), it allows the electronics to stay cool, even without water (although, I did improve the cooling, which I'll get to shortly).
    The next problem needing resolving was the steering. Under (normal) full-speed, she turned left almost as well as turning right. However, going considerably slower worsened hey left-torn ability, pushing the rescue platform made left turns near-impossible, and pushing the platform with a 'rescued' boat made left turns completely impossible. Obviously, this was due to the offset rudder, which was to the right of the prop. My "solution" was to install a second rudder, to the left of the prop, perfectly spaced to be equal distance from the prop. Using a couple of spare plastic pieces from a TLR 22T 4.0, plus a steering turnbuckle from a Traxxas Bandit, I was able to link the two rudders together, in perfect alignment with each other. She's now able to turn left as easily as she turns right, even under "full rescue load".
    Getting back to the cooling mod, if you look at the above photo, you'll notice that each rudder has a water line. I drilled a hole on the left side, just below the deck, for running that second water line. I also drilled a new exit hole along the starboard side of the hull (the stock exit is on the port side), and installed a new water outlet. The original pickup supplies cooling water to the ESC, exiting the starboard side, while the new (ie, left, aka port-side) rudder supplies cooling water to the motor, exiting the port side.

Lastly, I installed an FPV camera to the top of the canopy, as well as a viewing monitor to the transmitter, so that, as I come up behind the boat being rescued, I have the best view possible for "scooping up" the boat being rescued. And, I if the owner of the boat being rescued is interested in video a the viewing monitor even has a microSD slot for recording the video to.

I'm still testing different props, to see what works best. The idea is to increase speed, while still keeping everything cool when running under full-load (ie. platform & rescued boat).

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place

Nice! Looks like a fun project.

Whatever you get, make it yours, and make it unique.