Thread: Sheeting materials for a Whp 20?

Default Sheeting materials for a Whp 20?

I have a WHip 20 to build and I was considering using alternate materials for sheeting than the 1/16" wood. I think to deck would still be best in wood as it's easier to manipulate than composites.

What are some alternatives? G10, how thick? Where to buy? Carbon fiber, same questions.

I could stick with wood and build it light with epoxy as I've seen from M5 Performance Hydroplanes - Scott Meyers.

TIA
    Nortavlag Bulc

Nobody? Man Ray, I'd stick with wood. I've seen some fiberglass done successfully, but adhesion is always questionable. Nothing wrong with good old fashioned wood IMO. 😁

I did Ty's Pearl with with wood frames and G10 tops and bottoms. You don't get the matrix like you do with straight wood and glass cloth. Ty de-laminated in Florida in what could be described as ocean racing but it may not have been THAT race. More likely it was the 27000 laps before that.

That said you can get crazy wicked sharp edges with G10. Last couple mini Pearls I did, I went with G10 ride pads and that's it. I think it's .032" The rest is wood with little glass strips at the joints. The scuff is critical on the G10 because you're trying to use epoxy as an adhesive which isn't really it's intended purpose. So you need like 80 grit scuffing on the G10 to get it to hold on. Even then there's no guarantee.

The best advice I can give anybody is to find places to add structure that isn't just weight. Many love their inlays but it's not ideal. Dropping layer upon layer of fiber all willy nilly with a lake of epoxy might help with what I would call a piercing impact. Maybe. The constant flex flex flex of a boat going in and out of turns or the weight of the cells bouncing up and down at speed eventually weakens every joint until something gives. It's worse the faster you go too. If it's a belly skin the boat may be toast. Seen it. Structure that makes the boat a brick poop house is where it's at. Think about a bridge over a span of water...............they don't just build a roadway 14' thick and hope for the best. That's what all these inlay without structure remind me of. Car design is the same. They don't just make the bumper and door skins a foot thick.

Just sharing thoughts. Sorry to preach on yer thread Ray.
    Noisy person

NIce advice sir, thank you. I will stick with the wood for now.
    Nortavlag Bulc