Thread: This wiring is messsssed up. Please teach me how to fix it!

Default This wiring is messsssed up. Please teach me how to fix it!

so I?m not scared of electric stuff but I don?t know how to diagnose this. I just bought this boat used from a guy who seemed a bit sketchy. No servo, radio or rx. It does have a second water pickup so it would seem that someone knew something about these things.

I got the parts And went to try it all out and connecting the second battery resulted in a quickly fried connector. Argh

I had no reason to think the wiring wasn?t stock but something isn?t right. What is going on??? Can someone tell me what the problem is, what they tried to do and how I should rewire it??

12483DDD-3605-4EB3-BDDF-3047CAE48870.jpg
    863212A5-2590-43A1-A080-68AF17FF5B2D.jpg
    6CDFCF5B-EF4D-4355-A274-A5DCC1A67A76.jpg

Start over.
    If you want to run 2 packs in parallel, take each pos/neg from esc and split to the two packs.
    If you want to run in series, connect packs in series then to the esc.
    Keep it simple & safe
    "Look good doin' it"
    See the fleet

Well, I am embarrassed about my lack of knowledge and not really looking at the wiring beforehand. There is a harness between the esc and the battery plugs that, now that I actually look at it, obviously won’t work. It connects the +&- of each battery. I removed the harness and am left with what I think is the stock setup. I believe it is two short leads and plugs in series.

is that harness supposed to take a parallel setup and make it series??

Your ESC is wired with two connectors for a series connection. Plug in two identical 3S packs, and you'll get 6S voltage to the ESC, a common setup in Proboat models using that model ESC. Plug in two 2S packs, and you'll get 4S to the ESC, etc.

The harness you have is a series-parallel harness. It's not needed in this case. It's intended purpose is to take two batteries and combine them together in series to double the voltage (3S+3S>6S), then split the voltage between two plugs for two separate ESC's in a twin motor setup. Proboat sold this harness for the Zelos36 Twin for new owners that only had two 3S packs instead of the recommended four 3S packs the boat was designed to run on.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Ahhh! That makes a lot of sense. Thanks for explaining it to me. Now I can see how that’s what the separate harness does. And the fact that he had a Zelos twin completes the picture.

ive ordered some replacement xt60 plugs to repair the fried one on the battery and I’ll make an adapter using two of the plugs from the adapter.

appreciate the info - I love learning about this stuff.