Thread: Fail safe failing

Default Fail safe failing

I have a 4s TFL Arrow Rigger it runs a 3300 KV typhoon 2960 motor a 45 c 3300 mah gens ace lipo a 150 amp Flycolor esc and either a gt2 flysky radio or a crv2 ch radio 15 kg savox steering servo weighs 1530 g runs a 38x1.6 cnc 2 blade alloy prop at 65.5 mph or 105.5 kmh the issue is if O flip it upside down in choppy water or cornering to fast or to tight the fail safe shuts it down Instantly and it won?t rev or steer while upside down which would be great if it stayed that way but about 40 seconds later it starts revving flat out and with the prop making contact with the water it takes off in a circle until I catch it in my canoe or it smashes into something or the motor burns out.
    I have tried all I know like different receivers and transmitters nothing helps I set and check the fail safe each time I power up.ince it?s revving there is no radio control it?s unresponsive and out of control.
    Has anyone had this issue. ???
    I run in salt water it?s like the receiver antenna sitting in the salt water once it upside down is not receiving hence no control and the fail safe kicking in but why it only last 40 seconds then takes off I have no clue. Both Flycolor esc I have do the same thing both radios do the same thing. It?s costly and heart attack material.

in my experience with similar situations, it ends up being water shorting the signal and power wires on the receiver, causing the esc to think that it should be going full throttle. only way round this is make sure your reciever is in a completely waterproof enclosure. i have yet to not have issues with it in my gas boat...LOL but i did just get a Killer Bee for it so hopefully it will kill it if that happens.

Does a killer bee type cut out switch exist for retrofitting to brushless system
    Last edited by RC boat addict; 09-15-2020 at 07:47 PM. Reason: Spelt bee wrong

Not that i am aware of... i have yet to get mine set up either for the gas boat...

Salt water, even a small bit in the hull from the shaft or anywhere will kill electronics. Look very, very closely at the ESC connectors to see if there is any corrosion on there.

Maybe try a different esc??

Not sure. Eventually someone will help you figure it out.
    Nortavlag Bulc

OK this is what I am going to try.
    I think when I crash (flip) my rigger it momentarily puts a huge load on the steering servo and the bec in the flycolor is 5 amp, the servo amp spike might be exceeding 5 amp and this spike I think might be causing a brown out, these brown out can cause all sorts of issues from what I have read like, receiver fail safe or bind issues.
    This is probably impossible simulate (to make happen on the bench).I am pretty scared to test it by running it and flipping it,I will have to think of a way to reduce the risk of spending more money on the failures though.
    The cure seams to be whats called a glitch buster its basically a capacitor connected into any open port on the receiver.
    I am thinking 16 volt as I am running 4s and from 2200 uf to 4700 uf.
    I will come back with the results, it may be a while I have to buy and fit the replacement motor that was burnt out.

If you are using the GT2 have you actually set the failsafe on the reciever? It is unlikely to be the servo causing the problem. I suggest you test the failsafe on the bench by running the motor up, low revs, and switching off the transmitter. The motor should cut out within a second or so and reset when you turn the transmitter back on.
    NZMPBA 2013, 2016 Open Electric Champion. NZMPBA 2016 P Offshore Champion.
    2016 SUHA Q Sport Hydro Hi Points Champion.
    BOPMPBC Open Mono, Open Electric Champion.

This is a good point... found out mine was defaulted to 50-50 throttle setpoint neutral, not 70/30 like my transmitter was set up, so when it went to failsafe, it was at 20% throttle... after resetting it now will stay at neutral.

Default Fail Safe Failing

Quote Originally Posted by bogieboy View Post
    This is a good point... found out mine was defaulted to 50-50 throttle setpoint neutral, not 70/30 like my transmitter was set up, so when it went to failsafe, it was at 20% throttle... after resetting it now will stay at neutral.
    OK I have just tried the Glitch buster and it done nothing.
    I also tried a new ESC a Hobbywing Seaking 160 pro, it done nothing.
    And yes I am setting the failsafe on the receiver and yes I am testing on the bench.
    I am not sure what you mean by set the fail safe up in the transmitter,I turn the transmitter and the boat on and set the throtle as I turn it on, as per usual then I test the revs and then while its sitting there with no throtle, I press the fail safe button until the receiver stops flashing then I let it go.
    I then rev the motor and shut off the transmitter while its revving and within a second the revs drop to nothing just like your boat.
    Then whilst i am looking at the receiver flashing, because it has lost its signal, I count the flashes and on the 40th flash (40 seconds)the motor starts revving at full rpm. I turn the remote transmitter on and its stops revving. The only difference is when the boat flips in the water and it sitting upside down, it wont rev or turn the steering, (as best as I can tell because its usually not close enough to see the rudder).40 seconds later it starts revving flat out but now the prop is in the water enough for it to run wild until it burns out the motor from no cooling because the rudder scoop is out of the water or it smashes into some object like a jetty or a moored boat or the shore.
    My transmitter is a Flysky Hobby King copy or re-badge.
    I also have tried my other transmitter it is an Absima CR2S.V2 both do the exact same thing.
    I have tried a HK GT2 RECEIVER and a FLYSKY FS-GR3E Receiver both do the same dam thing.
    So I am interested in what you mean about setting the transmitter?
    or If anyone has any other idea?

Quote Originally Posted by RC boat addict View Post
    OK I have just tried the Glitch buster and it done nothing.
    I also tried a new ESC a Hobbywing Seaking 160 pro, it done nothing.
    And yes I am setting the failsafe on the receiver and yes I am testing on the bench.
    I am not sure what you mean by set the fail safe up in the transmitter,I turn the transmitter and the boat on and set the throtle as I turn it on, as per usual then I test the revs and then while its sitting there with no throtle, I press the fail safe button until the receiver stops flashing then I let it go.
    I then rev the motor and shut off the transmitter while its revving and within a second the revs drop to nothing just like your boat.
    Then whilst i am looking at the receiver flashing, because it has lost its signal, I count the flashes and on the 40th flash (40 seconds)the motor starts revving at full rpm. I turn the remote transmitter on and its stops revving. The only difference is when the boat flips in the water and it sitting upside down, it wont rev or turn the steering, (as best as I can tell because its usually not close enough to see the rudder).40 seconds later it starts revving flat out but now the prop is in the water enough for it to run wild until it burns out the motor from no cooling because the rudder scoop is out of the water or it smashes into some object like a jetty or a moored boat or the shore.
    My transmitter is a Flysky Hobby King copy or re-badge.
    I also have tried my other transmitter it is an Absima CR2S.V2 both do the exact same thing.
    I have tried a HK GT2 RECEIVER and a FLYSKY FS-GR3E Receiver both do the same dam thing.
    So I am interested in what you mean about setting the transmitter?
    or If anyone has any other idea?
    Ok I just bought a Spektrum STX3 and a waterproof MRX200 receiver to use with it as they are waterproof. So far the problem has gone at least on a bench test.
    I have just wrote to Horizon hobbies to see if the ACC port (Looks like a third channel port on the receiver)can be programmed to run the turbo feature on the 160 Amp Seaking Pro
    I still have no idea what has gone wrong with the other 2 radios,its driving me batty and also I am surprised no one has had it happen.
    Last edited by RC boat addict; 09-25-2020 at 11:57 PM. Reason: wanted to add more words