Thread: Advice on getting OSE felt shaft to fit my stock coupler

Default Advice on getting OSE felt shaft to fit my stock coupler

I just purchased the OSE modified flexshaft and strut for my BJ 24. I have gotten the strut installed and the shaft goes fine into my tubing.

However I cannot seem to get the flex. shaft to find into the stock BJ 24 coupler. It seems to say online that it should fit.

Questions:

1. Should I try to file down the end of the flex shaft so it. will fit into coupler?

2. Is. there another method?

3. Does coupler just not fit? If so what do I need? I do not understand all the measurement. info and what size my boat. has stock etc. I am using the stock coupler for the BJ 24. and have a leopard. motor. I bought. from OSE that fits the stock coupler.

Any advice appreciated. I just do not want to break something.

George

Couplers (collets) have two size specs on them. One is for the motor shaft diameter and the other is for the flex cable diameter. Most of the brushless motors are a 5mm shaft. Flex cables vary in size for the intended application, usually dictated by the amount of power and torque you are going to throw at the cable.

Flex cables are usually sized here in the states in inches, either as a fraction or decimal. 3/16 or 0.187 for example. I believe the upgraded strut and and cable setup for the BJ24 is a 0.150" (3.8mm) flex cable and a 3/16" prop shaft (the part the prop slides on). That "should" be the same size flex as stock. I would not sand down the tip of the flex cable to fit, rather get another 5mm/3.8mm motor collet. It needs to be a very short collet to fit between the motor and end of the stuffing tube, many will be too long.
    Last edited by fweasel; 09-18-2020 at 05:02 PM.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

I purchased two coupler/collets but both are too long. One even said "short". But it measures at an inch long. Any suggestions on places to find the shorter couplers that may work?

This is the one I used to use on those style boats: https://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pr...od=ose-81502-s
    I was also using a modified motor mount that moved the motor back to allow for more room. You might be able to slot the mounting holes on the bottom of the mount to get some additional space by sliding it towards the bow, you can also cut the end of the stuffing tube with a dremel cutoff wheel while the flex cable is removed.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)