Thread: Radio systems with built in GPS for speed on TX??

Default Radio systems with built in GPS for speed on TX??

Ok so I guess I have been out of the RC loop for a couple years. Saw someone pust a video of their boat running and his radio showed the boat speed both current and max MPH. This was the Hitec Lynx 4s. What are the best radios now? I use the Spektrum DX3S on all my models. This is a good radio but clearly out dated. LOL. I could just put the little GPS in the boat which I do, but I really like having ths speed right in front of me.

Any other gadgets that can do that? Maybe a GPS in the boat and a small display attached to the TX...?

Futaba can do GPS speed directly on the Tx screen. Otherwise, you can use a separt data logger with transmisstion to a Bluetooth receiver like the RCM system from OSE
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Thanks for the reply. Yeah I was looking at that on OSE but I don't want to have to install all that in every model. I may just get a radio system with GPS speed on the TX for my most used boat then slowly get more RX's for the other boats and cars. I don't know....it is so much easier and cheaper to put a small GPS in the boat and view the data after the run but I like the "bells and whistles" and having current and max speed displayed right on the TX certainly qualifies.

Futaba 7PX

The new version of the SKYRC GPS unit has datalogging that can be downloaded after the fact like the RCM, it is not just a max speed on the display like the old one, and it is still a single box standalone unit that doesn't need plugging in to anything within the boat.

Of course with nothing plugging into it you don't get temp or voltage data like you do with the RCM, but that is the price you pay for convenience.
    Paul Upton-Taylor, Greased Weasel Racing.

I have the Hitec Lynx and it is a nice tool but out of 5 receivers with GPS only one still works and they have discontinued them (maybe cause they were crap). When it worked it was a great way to find top speed on props.
    I now have gone with the SkyRc GSM-015 (under $60) and get more than top speed. Downloading you get speeds at any point in the tracking which you see corner entrance, apex and exit speeds. You will also notice max speed is always a couple higher than your real straightaway speeds. Bonus is it logs your total distance run. For heat racing I want to make sure I can go 1.4 miles to cover mill and wide turns and know my battery use and temps. A great inexpensive tool.
    72 mph 1817 38.jpg

Mic Halbrehder
    IMPBA 8656
    NAMBA 1414

Just started doing my research on doing the same thing. Just purchased the Futaba 4PM transmitter. The 4PM supports real-time telemetry, logs data to the tx, and can be exported then converted to google earth format with this tool (http://www.developitbest.com/telelogs/). The Futaba GPS is ~$100, I opted to buy an s.bus2 GPS-UART Converter for $18 (https://shop.tje.dk/catalog/product_...ucts_id=45)and will use a standard serial micro GPS outside the hull (waterproofed). For voltage/RPM/etc, I will use the Castle telemetry link (https://www.castlecreations.com/en/t...us-010-0148-00)

I just ordered all this so hopefully they will all work as planned. I'll update when I set it all up.

RCM is out of business.

Personally while less convenient I find a datalogger much more useful than a radio that has a speed readout, and I'm not a great fan of cheap chinese radios in expensive fast boats.

Having said that I would find a GPS readout useful to some extent, and probably more so if it has a vocal readout than if it is displayed on screen, but if i was interested in the Oxidean Marine Quazar 9 would probably forgoe the gold paint and get the X9 directly from Wfly to save about $300, then at least your not paying a lot of money for a cheap Chinese radio.

Quote Originally Posted by NativePaul View Post
    Personally while less convenient I find a datalogger much more useful than a radio that has a speed readout, and I'm not a great fan of cheap chinese radios in expensive fast boats.

Having said that I would find a GPS readout useful to some extent, and probably more so if it has a vocal readout than if it is displayed on screen, but if i was interested in the Oxidean Marine Quazar 9 would probably forgoe the gold paint and get the X9 directly from Wfly to save about $300, then at least your not paying a lot of money for a cheap Chinese radio.
    you're not looking at your screen while going 70mph????

Exactly, your not going to be looking at it while running, so most of the on screen GPS utility is a gimmick with only the recorded peak being useful (unless you have someone else drive your boat while you look over their shoulder), i believe you can set the X9 / Quazar to tell you the speed periodically as well as recorded peak which with enough laps done will give you an idea of corner speeds solo, but both pale in comparison to datalogging every tenth of a second and overlaying that on a map.