Thread: 36'' Catamaran new build

Default 36'' Catamaran new build

Hi guys. Got an un assembled boat in a trade.
    Hull...36'' cat maker unknown sorta looks like a TFL genesis ?
    Motors..Leopard 4092 1730Kv
    Esc's....Seaking 180's
    Props...Pro Boat 1.7x 1.6 both left cw and ccw
    Has all hardware.. Stingers,Ruder.Flex Shafts,Motor mounts etc. Everthing is brand new.
    Question is would this be a boat worth putting together with these parts or would there need to be replacement parts? I am new to boats. My rc stuff is helicopters. So building doesn't look to be a problem.Thanks

Sounds reasonable, not sure about those specific props though. Post up pictures of the hull and all the running hardware
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Silver Fox maybe?

A pair of 4092s is a lot more motor than I would put in a 36" cat, especially one that is narrow like a Genesis, but each to their own. I am sure it will work OK.
    Paul Upton-Taylor, Greased Weasel Racing.

Hi all. Did a little more research and yes it is a Silver Fox. Not sure if that is a good hull or not. Looks a little thin may need a inlay of carbon for strength. Can't post pics right now, phone is on the fritz. Props are for the Pro boat 36'' Miss GEICO. The stingers are 110mm in length rudder is 115mm long. On the size of motors, what would you all recommend? Would like to run on 6s because I have a ton of those from my helis.

It is a knock of of a Delta Force Explorer Cat. The canopy and quality are the differences. That said, a very capable hull. More for fun runs and SAW because it's too narrow for oval racing. They come from "TheBuild Rc" They shut their web site down but sell them on Ebay.
    Nortavlag Bulc

Personally a pair of 3650 - 3660 would suit me, my driving style and what I would want from it, but each to their own, if you havea big lake and want to run straight lines and extended runtimes with big batteries then maybe your motors are more suitable for you than what I would choose for me.

Hi Weasel, what Kv would you recommend for the 36 size motors? Would like to run on 6s because I have a bunch of them.My backyard is a 30 acre lake.

1600-2000kv

Thinking of going with a pair of SSS 3682 1650kv and OSE Raider 150 amp esc's instead of the 4092's and Seaking 180's. Does this sound like a better fit for this hull. Still would like to use 6's batteries.

It sounds better, but still too big for me. I don't know what you want from the boat in terms of speed, runtime, handling, sea keeping or budget. What suits me the best may well not be what suits you the best.

For example I have a fairly small 90mx80m lake and would want mid 50s from a 36" cat with about 5 mins of runtime, I would build light to optimise speed, handling and acceleration at my budget with the cost of sea keeping ability, as my small lake rarely builds up breakers and doesn't have swell.

If you run in the sea or a massive lake massive lake, maybe you wont be turning so much and will have much rougher water. In that case you might want to sacrifice budget and handling to get more top speed and better sea keeping by installing a much heavier and more powerful setup.

Maybe you want to run SAWs and you may be willing to sacrifice reliability and runtime for extreme speed and acceleration.

Everything in boating is a compromise, to excel at one thing you have to sacrifice everything else. I can genuinely see the benefit to installing everything from a single 2850 to a pair of 4082s, but I personally wouldn't want either. Fun boating to me it is best enjoyed in the grey area, giving up a little of some things to be a chunk better at others, without fully sacrificing anything.

If you can give us more info, we can then give suggestions for setups that might suit you, rather than just what would suit us.

Well I am not new to boats. I have 2 Super vee 27's and a Proboat recoil. The lake I live on is a 30 acre lake a bit narrow and long. The boats I have now are fun, but looking for something faster and bigger. Not going to race but would like some speed. Run time is not a factor if it's a fast setup then shorter run times are expected. As far as budget goes there is nothing cheap in hobbies so I can handle the expense. I have never built a boat before from scratch so that's why I am here looking for advise. Thanks all.

I am not familiar with the recoil, but I have seen a few SV27s, they looked like they are in the high 30s, maybe low 40s at a pinch. The setup I suggested would be good for 60+ if you are not worried about runtimes.

If you want faster than that I would reinforce the boat, then go up in motor size and KV, you are out of my comfort zone there, so I would suggest having a look at Genisis threads, there are enough people reinforcing them and pushing them to 80+ that you should be able to get a handle on what it takes. A good 3660 is capable of sucking up more than 200A if you aren't worried about runtimes and go too big on the prop, so buy the most capable ESC you can afford and fit.

Please don't call fitting out a purchased glass hull building from scratch, it's kinda offensive to those that are putting the hours into actually building boats from the first scratch.

Didn't mean to offend anyone. Guess I should say a Build up. Anyways shooting for 100 Mph boat. We will see.

What type of foam should be used for flotation in the bow?

The Build is still out there. I’ve talked to George over there a few times not that long ago. It’s now called https://www.littohot.com/
    Too Many Boats........So My Wife Says Anyway.