Thread: New to fast electrics

Default New to fast electrics

Hi everybody, I'm Bill and I'm brand new to the forum. I've been building model boats for years, but never an FE. I have an ancient Dumas SKDaddle 36 that I'd like to convert. I read ranger18's posts and they're really helpful, but I don't want something that fast, 30 to 35 mph is fine. I'm looking for suggestions on what to power it with for that level of performance. I'm going to use the Dumas solid shaft drive because, well, that's what's in it. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Cool

Welcome Bill! If it were me, I?d run 6S, a Raider 150 ESC and a Leopard 4082/1000 Kv motor spinning an x445 to start. This should give speeds in the 30s, which is what this hull was designed for in the 1970s. You?ll have room to move up to an x545 or x645 if he wants more speed, or down to an x442 if he wants slower. Minimum 40c 5000 mAh packs, if he parallels them you’ll have good run time.

You should remember that running part-throttle for extended times is very hard on the ESC, it is better to use less prop if lower speeds are desired. You should also remember that all the electrics should be under a waterproof hatch that doesn?t leak. Most fuel guys don?t understand this and are doomed to failure and frustration if they ignore it with an FE boat.

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

Hi Fluid. Thanks for the reply. I don't know much about brushless systems, but I'll learn. At least now, I'll have somewhere to start. Thanks for the suggestions.