Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1/8 Qatar ML Boatworks 172 Extreme Kit Build

Default Starting to look like a hydro...

Here is a teaser. Need to paint a windshield, fins need another coat, more fine sanding, then clear coat. Then I can start final assembly.

20221216_215959.jpg
    Last edited by WhiteH2O; 12-18-2022 at 08:03 PM.

I'm hoping there are painting experts on here that can help me out with the clear coat. I'm having bad crazing problems. I've tried all the solutions that normally work- waiting 3 days for clear coat, making sure temperature is good, not putting on a thick coat, and nothing is solving the issue. I've been using rustoleum paint (my least favorite, but what I have locally).

I'm tempted to ditch the rustoleum and try the 2 part SprayMax 2k clear. I've heard that give great results, but I also don't want to spend $25 on a can of paint to have it not solve the problem. Any thoughts?

What paint are you using? If it's enamel paint you can't use a lacquer clear. What exactly is the issue is the paint peeling like a piece of crinkled paper so to speak. Any pictures?

I'm not a painter. I used grey primer/ filler, sand 90% off then another light lite coat, fills in the wood grain, then krylon fusion red pepper , then 2K clear . Turned out great no wet sanding. Got a few dust specs, cause its dusty in the garage. Don't worry about the cost of the 2K, you will need to spend a good hundred on a respirator , the 2k is potent even in an open space.
    J.

I'm using Rustoleum 2x, which I understand to be an acrylic enamel. I was having issues with the crazing even on subsequent coats of the same color (dark blue was the worst, but a little issues with white as well, but sand paper fixed those). The issues were worst with the 2x clear, but I also tried Krylon Colormaxx (acrylic?) and had a few spots that tried to craze, but much better than the Rustoleum.

I don't have a picture of mine, but it looks like this stolen picture off the interwebs: Attachment 176141

Luckily, I have a good respirator since I do a lot of other work with polyesters and epoxies as well as other stuff that would try to kill me.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12