Thread: Help Needed on ESC/Prop Setup Exceed Eagle Deep V

Default Help Needed on ESC/Prop Setup Exceed Eagle Deep V

Hello,
    This is my first "big" fast electric and I purchased it off Craigslist from a local seller for less than $325 including a Traxxas receiver and rudder servo.
    I am overheating my ESC, a Seaking 180 amp, to thermal shutdown and once to a spectacular fire/meltdown, which Hobbywing went WAY beyond warranty and replaced. Please offer your thoughts on how to make this a reliable boat in the 35-55 MPH range with mixed throttle use, with a desired run time of 5-10 minutes using as much as what I have, as possible.

I have many 4s and 6s batteries, 4500-5000 mAh, all 50C or greater, 10 of which are 90C and work well in my M41 and my EDF jet planes. When in this boat, I use two in parallel but really have the room and load ability for 4 in parallel.

The prop I am running is what came with it, I think it is a ProBoat 2.75x1.5x1/4. I measured 68mm x 25mm x 1/4.

I typically run 5 minutes and mixed throttle (1/2 to 3/4 with occasional burst of higher than that for a second or two) and the boat is way more speed than I need and I get some chine walk at 3/4 and up.

There is plenty of cooling water from the dual pickup rudder going into the ESC and motor and a clean, plentiful stream is visible from each outlet at planning speed or better. The water pickups go independently to the esc and motor, not one then the other.

I understand that ESCs are not happy at less than full throttle and that merely using less throttle does not (and has not) improved the ESC heating issue. I do run with the top on and there is no air exchange into the boat. The motor is cool, the ESC is not.

What are my choices in helping this boat run more reliably?
    Thanks,
    Jeff
    Portland, Oregon

Attached Images Attached Images

Cool

What voltage are you running, 4S or 6S? You should be able to reduce the prop size, allowing WOT running, and still have enough thrust to move the boat. You will likely have to replace the flex cable with a cable having a step-down shaft, from 1/4? to 3/16?, then you will have a large variety of smaller props to try. Try an Octura x462 prop first and see how that works for you.

Oh, the props need to be sharpened and balanced.
    ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

A 50" boat on 6s? I don't see that working for well.
    Noisy person

Default ESC and Prop Help

Thank you both for the help so far.
    I am running two 6s packs in parallel.

The motor seems to be capable of 8s, (my current ESC is not).
    Would 8s reduce amps through the esc at a given RPM?

Since my current ESC is not 8 or 12s capable, would it be an advantage to purchase a 12s capable esc over an 8s? How many amps?

I think I understand that reducing the prop pitch would allow it to rev up more and lower amps drawn. Is that right?

Thanks for your help.
    Jeff