Thread: 4p configuration question

Default 4p configuration question

This is going in a 36? AC Nitro Cat w/the packs in the sponsons.

-2x4s 6000mAh + 2x6s 6000mAh packs.

My plan was to connect each 4s pack to a 6s pack in series (10s 6000 mAh) then connect parallel to the controller for 10s 12,000mAh; however, when I connected the 4s to the 6s via a ?y? adapter, I got a spark.

I can connect the 6s packs in series without a spark. Same with the 4s packs.

Does this mean that I have to connect the 6s packs in series, the 4s packs in series then parallel to the controller?

Thx for the help. I?m trying to avoid burning down the house 🤯

There is a terminology problem here. You are wanting a 10S2P power system, not 4P. I assume that each pack is 6000 mAh capacity, not 3000 mAh. A spark is normal when connecting to the ESC, it lets you know your ESC caps are working. Connect a 4S and 6S pack together in series, then parallel with the other 4S and 6S in series with the Y connector. Without seeing your layout, that’s the safest option. Do NOT parallel 4S and 6S packs together....

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

Jarrett,

Besides Jay's comments about the nomenclature, it sounds like your two 10S parallel lipos are not at the same voltage if you see a spark when connecting the two 10S packs in parallel.
    I run a 10S2P cat with a similar configuration of 4S and 6S packs to a single controller. I connect the 4S and 6S packs together first making a 10S pack on each side.
    I then connect the negative of each 10S side to the negative of the ESC. Then connect the positive of each 10S pack to the ESC.

You should not see a spark when connecting the second 10S pack to the ESC. If you do this means the two 10S batteries are at different voltage levels.

A quick check would be to connect the the 4S and 6S packs on the bench to make your 10s packs. Use a multi-meter and check the positive and negative of the complete 10S pack. You should be within 0.1V on both packs.

-Tyler
    Tyler Garrard
    NAMBA 639/IMPBA 20525
    T-Hydro @ 142.94mph former WR