Thread: Miss geico 29 motor coupling hex screw

Default Miss geico 29 motor coupling hex screw

Does anyone know the hexdriver size needed for the motor coupling hex set screw on the miss geico 29?

Thx,
    J
    Attached Images Attached Images

Most likely a 2mm, although on some models I?ve seen them as 1.5mm.
    Use a high-quality metric hex wrench, cheap tools tend to strip out set screw broached hex I.D. & or the tool itself.
    Shadow

Looks like the head was already stripped!
    Now I have to figure out a way to remove it, and put a new one in, so I can tighten the coupler to the motor shaft.

There?s a few tricks that you can try.
    >Try a small flat blade screwdriver, & wedge it in across corners of the hex I.D.
    give it a few light taps with a hammer (if you can access it), then try loosening it.
    >Sometimes an inch hex wrench will work, most kits go as small as 1/16? or 0.050?
    >If the coupler is aluminum, try freezing it with ?C02 freeze spray,? or dry-ice if you can find it. The aluminum will expand a few thousands of an inch, enough to usually allow you to loosen it.
    Good luck, we?ve all been there.
    Shadow

I use a 5/64" Hex wrench for all 4mm set screws. Seems to fit better than a 2mm wrench.

Since it's toasted I would use a Dremel tool to put a slot in it BUT you will need to heat it before you put a slot screw driver on it since it's probably stripped from the thread lock being so strong.
    Nortavlag Bulc

I’m going to end up replacing the motor coupler on my Miss Geico 29 V1.

I’m trying to track down the correct part number, but am coming up with 2 different options: PRB286008 and PRB3308. I believe PRB3308 is the correct one, but one site says the 286008 will work as well???

I would seriously consider upgrading to a ?collet-style? motor to flex cable adapter.
    The original one I had in my Kyosho Jetstream 888ve, used M3 set screws which were impossible to access, within the small hatch. They also had the tendency to strip out. OSE sells motor couplers, mine happened to be a 5mm motor to 4mm flex cable adapter.
    Although the collet was too tight on my cable, I just machined out the I.D. a few thousands of an inch for a better fit.
    Shadow

What 29 do you have 1,2,3? I cut a new flex and a 5mm octura to 3/16 short collet boom done gets rid of crappy flex cable and collet.

V1.
    I ordered a new coupler and a good set of hex drivers. Managed to get the set screw tightened with the new hex driver. Wish I would have tried that before I bought the new coupler!
    At any rate, she?s good to go.
    Just wondering if I should put a little bit of blue locktite on the setscrew?