Thread: Best P Limited Motor

Default Best P Limited Motor

Hi guys, newbie here. So glad to have found this forum.

So far I have completed one season racing P Limited Cat down in Florida. I have a ProMarine MTR, set up the way it arrived. Other than having the prop balanced and polished,and adding an additional cooling line, I've made no other changes. I raced with some success, but I've noticed that several of my competitors had more straightaway speed. Being new to the group, I was hesitant to ask the guys I was competing against which motor/prop combination they were running. I know the motor limitations are 36mm X 60mm, and there are a bunch of motors that meet those requirements. I also have learned enough to know that the motor isn't the entire answer. There is a balance between the boat, the motor, the prop and probably the battery. I also know that a lot of this is due to a lot of hard work and trying different combinations. Unfortunately, the majority of my time is spent in Pennsylvania, I have no locations to do any testing. (Still looking). So I kind of have to figure this out on my own without the benefit of trying it out. Besides, when you're out there running by yourself, how can you tell how fast your boat is in comparison to others.

From my limited research, I can see that there are 3 motors that best fit the bill, Leopard, TP, and SSS. The motor that came with my boat is the ProMarine/SSS motor. Would I gain anything by switching motors, or is it just a matter of getting my prop/battery combination perfected? Do any of these 3 motors have an advantage over the others? Are there any motors other than the ones I mentioned that might be better? I looked at Neu and they don't make a 36mm motor. I'm an old drag racer and I always built all of my stuff. However, my electrical skills are rather limited. Are there folks out there who would take one of these motors and do what we used to call "blueprinting"? Nothing illegal, just making sure that it was up to specs? Any advantage to be gained by doing that?

Thank you for any and all thoughts. I have a bunch of questions, but I've learned that it's best to ask only a couple at a time, the rest get buried and forgotten. Please forgive me, you'll probably see a bunch of new posts from me for various questions I have.

Stay safe and thanks.

Vince

First off I don't know many if any guys here in Florida that would not have told you what they were running. Just ask and real competitors will make you better as it makes them better.
    You are correct battery, prop, and motor have their affect. Also getting the KV that turns the prop that fits the boat. I have a cat that likes smaller diameter where as the mono I run works better with larger props.
    Cutting to the chase I have run and data logged about every motor I could get my hands on. Paid $100 for a TP vs $50 for a Leopard and I see more speed out of the Lep. Over the SSS I still take the Lep. I have Proboat and even a 1412 Neu plus Hobbystars. and 5 of 6 of my "Spec" boats use a Leopard. Remember gains may only be 1-2 mph and that can also be done with setup
    Mic
    Mic

Mic Halbrehder
    IMPBA 8656
    NAMBA 1414

Hey Vince

Call me - you have my number - and we can talk about this stuff. I believe you already have a good motor but if you check the club rules you will see that the Pro Marine 36x56 2030Kv which I am told is the same thing as the SSS by the same designation are what is approved (for P Limited) along with a few others. If you have a Pro Marine motor in the boat it should be that one. If I remember correctly you won a couple of races with that boat already in your first season and that is not too shabby at all.

Mike