Thread: New (used) boat won?t plane.

Default New (used) boat won?t plane.

I bought a supervee27 used that seemed to be in good shape but had some issues that I have finally fixed. (Crack in hull, motor seemed rough).

Put it in the water and it won?t plane. I tried different methods to get it to but the most I can get is a jump out of the water and then just pushing.

My dad said it could be the wrong prop so I ordered an x440 which is supposed to be a surface prop but the one on the boat looks stock. I can?t say for sure but it seems to be. And it is in decent shape. A few very small nicks on 2 of the 3 blades.

Could it just be an adjustment issue? Everything looks straight and nothing is wacky enough that I would think it could affect it.

Any ideas?

How many cells are you running it on? That boat should have no issues planing with a 440. Maybe post a picture of your set-up.

Thanks for your reply! I don’t have the 440 prop yet. I ordered one after it didn’t plane today in hopes that it has the wrong prop on it. But it looks like it is the stock prop. And since nothing else was changed on the boat, I doubt it was changed unless the PO broke it or something.

9D4DB314-08C8-42F6-B2BF-2E6254A0001F.jpg37B35221-CACB-4E6D-AFCF-B59C92E24EB5.jpg37B35221-CACB-4E6D-AFCF-B59C92E24EB5.jpg

Hard to tell but I see you are running Nimh cells 12. Are they wired in parallel or series? Parallel is only getting 7.2 volts series will get you 14.4.....

It’s the stock dual-battery setup which appears to be 2 7.2v in series for 14.4v.

As it is not the original motor, can you tell us what KV rating it is.

Of course! It is a Leopard 1650kv motor. 3650. I replaced the stock motor because it turned over very very stiffly (felt like strong magnets vs mechanical blockage) and, when I opened it up, one of the rotors was damaged.

did you follow the setup procedure for the speed control, if something wasnt set right or the speed control wasnt set it could cause the slow running.... did you buy the boat ready to run with radio or did you supply your own?

Cool

It is tough to diagnose from the details given. One clue is the fact that it ?jumps? out of the water, then goes slowly. This indicates that the motor/voltage/drive is probably okay, but something is slowing the boat after it starts. It does sound like an ESC issue, likely the LVC which cuts power when battery voltage is low. Causes include:

- batteries not fully charged
    - batteries worn out
    - battery/ESC wiring/plugs have excessive resistance
    - issue with faulty or incorrectly programmed/bound ESC

BTW I closed your other duplicate thread.

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

Thanks, Fluid. Appreciate it. More traffic here for sure.

the batteries are brand new, fully charged.

the esc is the one that came with it - I assume it is the stock one. I swapped out the radio and receiver. I never had it in the water with the original one.

i’m headed there this morning to let my little boy run my little tunnel hull and will bring it as well to video what it is doing.

there will also be some old guys there who meet every wed morning and maybe they will have some ideas. I’ll post when I get back if there is anything new and to put a video up if not.

Make sure you take a video of your arming process. If your still using the stock controller should need to arm the controller every time you plug in the batteries.

Well good news (for me!). One of the guys gave me a prop and it works great! So I’m very excited to get the x440 prop I ordered