Thread: Help in figuring out how to bind new ESC to boat and transmitter

Default Help in figuring out how to bind new ESC to boat and transmitter

Help we are newbies to all of this.

My son bought a voltenex catermeran and we are trying to install a new dynamite 90 amp esc. Did not come with instructions. We found some online for the 120 amp and followed those. But not working.

Here is what we are doing:

Turn radio on and pull throttle to full forward postion
    Next we connect battery and then turn on esc
    It then makes constant beeps and shows a green light on esc. While doing this the motor is glittering.
    We then try putting in neutral but still nothing changes.

What can or do we do next?

I have attached a pic. I have a video here on YouTube

Also Note: The ESC has an on off with and another button that says SET. Not sure what SET button does or how it plays a part in all of this.

/

I am not familiar with that radio or ESC, but several of my ESCs show a green light at full throttle. My guess is that your radio is one of the many that need the throttle channel reversing. Give that a go.
    Paul Upton-Taylor, Greased Weasel Racing.

Quote Originally Posted by NativePaul View Post
    I am not familiar with that radio or ESC, but several of my ESCs show a green light at full throttle. My guess is that your radio is one of the many that need the throttle channel reversing. Give that a go.

Thank you we just tried that but still did not work.

One other note; We were driving boat other day with standard 40 amp esc using 4s Lipo. It was second run on 4s and boat just stopped in middle of pond. Steering worked but no throttle.

So that is why we are trying to upgrade electrics. Does this have anything to do with it? We did order a new motor but has not arrived yet just this new esc.

Is this the 700mm version or the 850mm one? I am assuming 700 from the 40A ESC. IMO both have undersized ESCs, a 40A ESC is only really suitable for a mini sized FE boat, and has no place in a 700mm boat. They give it some reliability by using a low kv (1800) motor combined with a 3s battery, unless you propped down significantly when you switched to 4s, you increased the amp draw well above what the undersized ESC could handle, I wouldn't be at all surprised if the stock ESC burned up and left you stranded.

Was there a smell in the boat when you recovered it, normally burned ESCs absolutely stink. It may have also just overheated and shut down to protect itself, in which case it may work fine again (on an appropriate load) once cooled down.
    Paul Upton-Taylor, Greased Weasel Racing.