Thread: Looking for replacement motor...

Default Looking for replacement motor...

Hi im new to the forum and have a hydroplane/outrigger type boat that was passed down from my great grandfather to my granduncle, and now to me that is in need of a replacement motor preferably brushed so it is period correct. The boat had a astroflight cobalt 05 marine racing motor that was crazy fast but is nearing the end of its life, and i would like to replace it with something equal to or close to the power of the astroflight like i said before preferably brushed as they're fun to tinker with. I need some help with this as I dont know too much about rc boats, and i cant find specs on the cobalt 05.
    The boat is 1/10 scale and has a team tekin marine speed control not sure specs on that either (not opposed to getting a new one), and a flex shaft with a octura x440 prop (not sure that matters).
    Thanks to anybody that can give me some advice or help on what brushed motor to use.
    Thank you
    Ethyn.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Sikk_karts; 08-04-2020 at 10:36 PM.

Did you Check Ebay?

Quote Originally Posted by photohoward1 View Post
    Did you Check Ebay?
    Yes i checked ebay and there is a used astroflight cobalt 05 for $99, their claiming its a marine racing but it doesnt say "marine racing motor" and has a different end bell...
    But i was wondering if anyone knew of any other brushed motor/s that have similar power?

Why does the OP believe the motor is “nearing the end of its life”? Unless they are badly overheated, the Astros can be rebuilt. New bearings, new brushes, turned commutator and its new again. The challenge will be finding someone to turn the comm, for example, I sold my brushed motor tools years ago.

Finding a comparable brushed motor may be a challenge today, the Astros were unique in requiring minimal maintenance compared to most brushed motors that size. A replacement will depend on what voltage he wants to run.

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

Plettenburg Brushed Motors. I used the Astros and Pletts. Equal in all aspects.

End of its life meaning comm has been cut multiple times and it did get hot enough to melt the battery connectors a bit and the negative motor wire connectors melted together, probably from the comm and brushes being kinda toasted, felt good for the first drive then couple of hours later went to drive it again and it started losing power, tried switching to another tekin marine esc same thing. Then i pulled the astroflight apart and saw comm had been turned multiple times and was burnt up, so decided i needed a new motor.

Those plettenburg motors seem real nice but price is a little steep ($300+), was the astroflight that pricey in its day? And is there nothing a bit cheaper (<$200)? It doesn't have to be as powerful as the boat seemed to want to take flight haha astroflight... Would a brushless setup just be the best option then?
    And anyone know the specs on that tekin marine esc?
    Thank you
    Ethyn.
    Last edited by Sikk_karts; 08-05-2020 at 03:16 PM.

Found the specs on the esc says "handles 4-32 cells, and up to a "0.25" cobalt motor. Twin ".05" or ".075" motors may also be used." 32 is a lot of cells! And what would the turn limit be? It ran fine on 2s lipo, anyone know if it can handle 3s lipo?
    And what would be a good brushless setup? Would just any high kv brushless setup work?
    Last edited by Sikk_karts; 08-05-2020 at 05:31 PM.

If it is rated at 4 to 32 cells, 3s lipo would be ok interms of voltage.

Thats an old speed control, from in the 90's, long before lipo. As a result it will not have low voltage cut off for lipo cells.

You ask about what turn motor. I don't know the turn limit but what I do know is those old brush motors cannot turn a decent prop fast like 20000rpm.

When I say decent, I mean like 38mm and higher. So if you choosing a brush motor, example if you was to find a trinity dirtinator for sale, I would suggest getting a 16turn for 2s running with a x435 to x438.

Those brush motors are a thing of the past.

Today you can buy a brushless motor and esc for a reasonable price that will be far motor powerful that a cobalt 05.

This very site offshoreelectrics have very good motors that you can buy for a reasonable price that will be far better that a cobalt 05.

I would suggest a leopard 3660 of around 2550kv which might cost around $49.95. Sadly it seems the offshore electric raider 150 is not in stock. They was sells for $60 and would have easily handle the suggest motor and 3s with a 42 to 45mm prop.

But a speed control of 120amps would be ok.

So a 2550kv leopard 3660 on 3s with a x440 would give you far more power than a cobalt 05. Maybe even on 2s it might match the cobalt.

Well the seaking 180 is the best available esc at the moment on this site. But I am not sure it can fit in your boat. Cost is $120 basically.