Thread: Motor and collet getting super hot!!

Default Motor and collet getting super hot!!

So i been putting this need setup together and the other day my collet came loose spinning The motor and the boat got stuck in the water just spinning ...Brought it back to shore opened it up and notice was smoking ...It literally started burning up the grease in the tube and motor was super hot ...Then next few days i took it out and made sure everything was good i did a couple passes brought it in and notice collet still and motor getting super hot...Any suggestion ???It is a brand new setup and the ESC is cool no temp at all to it ...

Once a collet spins, typically both the collet and cable are shot because they've both lost material at the interface. I suggest you replace both. When you install the new parts, ensure perfect alignment between the collet and flex cable so there's no deflection. It should slip right it. Be sure to wipe off any grease from the flex cable tip before it slides into the collet. I use a small amount of anti seize on the collet threads to ensure smooth engagement. Use a good set of box wrenches to tighten down the collet so that it doesn't slip again.

Yeah i follow all those procedures everytime it was tight the first time around just came loose ...and now the second time it was tight but still alot of heat build up around the collet causing my motor to get too hot ...But i did notice that the cable is slightly off almost if not rubbing against the stuffing tube...need a Flex shaft now and collet ...Its a sonicwake proboat nothing for it in stock here propably just throw another stock setup on it and fingers crossed

As recommended above, use a bit of anti-seize compound on the collet threads and on the conical surface of the collet petals. Just a bit is needed, this allows you to tighten the collet more by reducing thread friction. Since I started doing that years ago I never had a collet come loose.

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

Yes, as Fluid said, I've not had a collet loosen up on me either once I started using quality collets

Check your stuffing tube alignment with the motor output shaft, if it was installed poorly you could be getting excessive friction on the flex shaft and tube.