Thread: set up for using a hobbywing seaking 180a esc with a LEOPARD RC Model X2 3650 3900KV

Unhappy set up for using a hobbywing seaking 180a esc with a LEOPARD RC Model X2 3650 3900KV

I have a hydro that I am building. I have a LEOPARD RC Model X2 3650 3900KV 4 Poles R/C Hobby Inrunner Brushless Motor IM961 and a hobbywing seaking 180a esc What size battery do I need for it? I was told to use a 9000 mah 100c 11.1V LIPO battery with this set up, but when I went to plug in the power there was an arc at the connection plug, so did not plug it in.
    Please help as this is my very first try at this. I have several boats that were RTR when I got them.

Thanks ErickTheBold

Your motor is a D wind, so the ESC needs to be configured for timing in the 0-7* range. The ESC out of the box should be configured for auto cell count, meaning it can be used with any battery voltage from 2S-6S. 3900kV is more suited for a 2S lipo battery, but 3S will work too with a smaller prop. Knowing nothing about the boat you're building, I can't say which is more appropraite, nor what capacity (mAh) pack you should run.

When plugging a battery into an ESC, it's common to hear a pop and even see a spark, more so with high voltage batteries and larger cap banks attached to the power leads.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

That motor Kv is high for 3S but as stated above with the right prop it can work. We really need the OP to be fully transparent with us if he wants meaningful help, we cannot guess his boat or setup! Give us the exact hull, exact prop, etc so we can give him actual recommendations instead of wild guesses....

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

Hello Guys,
    I have a Atlas Van lines Model Hydroplane that is 36 inches long and 18 inches wide at the sponsons.
    It was a cheap model that I have added fiberglass to so that there is better support, better seal-ability and so I can fiberglass the 2 halves together. This has added a lot of weight to the boat. I have kept the balance of the boat at the end of the sponons.

My prop is a CNC Prop 40mm - 3/16" bore, PN cnc-4014251.

Again, here is what I have for parts

a LEOPARD RC Model X2 3650 3900KV 4 Poles R/C Hobby Inrunner Brushless Motor IM961,

a hobbywing seaking 180a esc,

a 9000 mah 100c 11.1V LIPO battery.

My controller is a RadioLink 2.4 GHz 6 channel pistol grip radio model RC6GS

Again, I am very new to this and don’t understand most the lingo that is being used, so be kind to a beginner.
    I bought the 3900kv model thinking that since it spins faster it would go faster, but that seems to be a mistake on my part.
    I want the boat to go fast but also go for longest time I can, hence getting the big battery. I realize that those are opposing ideas though.

Think of motor kV more like transmission gears in a car and less like RPM. Lower kV will be able to produce more torque, spin a larger diameter prop, and have a lower RPM potential. Higher kV can spin higher RPM, with less torque, and smaller props. A 40mm prop with 1.4 pitch ratio is a reasonable size to start with for that kV, but I don't know much about hydro setup's and what they like. The battery you've selected is very heavy. While you are correct, it will provide more run time, managing it's location in the hull as to not upset the center of gravity balance may be a challenge.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Thanks that made sense to me.
    So what KV speed motor should I try?
    I am also thinking of using 2 motors as my boat is going to be heavier then most already.
    I am balancing the weight of every thing front to rear as well as side to side.

Honestly with a boat that size you will be better running a 6s setup. I would suggest a 4074 or 4082 size motor around 1400kv and props in the 45-47mm range to start with. ESC is good.
    NZMPBA 2013, 2016 Open Electric Champion. NZMPBA 2016 P Offshore Champion.
    2016 SUHA Q Sport Hydro Hi Points Champion.
    BOPMPBC Open Mono, Open Electric Champion.

so what does 6s mean? I can buy new motor and props

I know its battery info, but don't understand what the stuff means

Quote Originally Posted by ErickTheBold View Post
    so what does 6s mean? I can buy new motor and props
    You could run 2, 3s batteries in series or 1, 6s battery . The 11.1v battery is a 3S and 22.2 is a 6s battery. If you run 2,3s batteries in parallel you are still at 11.1 volts but you run for a longer time..