Thread: Super Hawaii Build

Default Super Hawaii Build

Just got a brand new Super Hawaii ABC Hobby. I wanna go brushless with direct drive. Dont wanna use the stock motors, gearbox, and outdrive I guess its called. I dont wanna go crazy on money. Any suggestions at all on motor esc etc?

How fast you wanna go.. and how stable are you expecting it to be?
    "Look good doin' it"
    See the fleet

50 would be nice. I plan to strengthen the hull bottom with carbon fiber, and strengthen the transom as well. Gpnna add trim tabs and turn fins too.

those were cool boats! a late friend of mine had one really modded out in the old brushed days. looking forward to seeing a modern take on it

At those speeds, the lip at the deck to hull seam could add enough lift to cause blow overs. I have one of those hulls waiting for a “rainy day” (which are very rare in Denver area) and removing that lip was one of my first upgrades I will be doing.
    Also with such a low vee, closer to flat bottom, I expect unstable driving much above 40 on flat water.
    I’m just sharing my thoughts... that said, I’m looking forward to seeing this go!

As for motor, it won’t need much. The hull is light and very efficient, so I wouldn’t put a big power system. If it were me, I’d probably try a proboat 3660 1800kv on 4s and a 442-445 prop. This will work fine with a raider 150 esc sold on the OSE store.
    "Look good doin' it"
    See the fleet

Didnt think there was enough LIP to cause blow over. Interesting. You talking about running single 3660? If so would using the stock outdrive be ok or another setup?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Depends on how you want to drive it.
    I’m a scale guy, so I will be setting up mine to run 30-40 with single or twin outdrives like you show there with a single or twin motor system
    "Look good doin' it"
    See the fleet

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse J View Post
    Depends on how you want to drive it.
    I’m a scale guy, so I will be setting up mine to run 30-40 with single or twin outdrives like you show there with a single or twin motor system
    Watching! Interested i have one also,stock so slow

Well I looked into putting 2 3660 on the stock gearbox. I wont be able to unfortunately. The stock 550 motors are 36 wide. But the 3660 motors with cooling jackets are 44 wide. Guess I will run single motor with aftermarket outdrive. Gotta find a decent one that wont cost alot.

What if you cut the stock gearbox in half and made the motors a little farther apart?
    There aren’t any recent outdrives that I know of other than traxxas. There are some scale outdrives, but probably not fitting your “cheap” category.

I’d try to modify what you have, but that’s just my opinion.
    "Look good doin' it"
    See the fleet

Another thing to consider is the plastic stock gears in that gear box may not handle the increased power for long and the stearable outdrive universal joint may also suffer as back then they were never designed for brushless power.

I would scrap that outdrive and invest in some alluminium hardware for a direct drive set up, doesn't have to be super expensive OSE sells good hardware and also take a look on ebay if your budget is tight.