Thread: TFL Jet Boat

Default TFL Jet Boat

I picked up TFL's new Jet Boat, and I think it looks great. I just need to come up with a good color scheme to apply.

I am curious about something. I know it is a recent release, so there are probably very few in the hands of actual owners...but, if there are any other owners reading this, I'm curious to know what you used for the steering servo. The servo mounting bracket appears to be designed for a 'mini', but the spacing (ie. the length of the servo case) is shorter than the typical mini by about 4-5mm.

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place

Also, as those reading this might have noticed in the last two photos, there's a short piece of tubing, topped with a caphead screw. Here's a close-up:

Without the screw, it kinda reminds me of the short piece of tubing one would normally find on a gas/nitro boat...except this is an electric boat. If I were to make an assumption, I might take it to be something along the lines of a breather tube, so that air can 'sucked' into the "jet stream"...but, honestly, I haven't the slightest clue. Does anyone know what this is for? Also, is the boat supposed to be run with the caphead screw in, or out?

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place

Appears to me to be a shaft lube fitting..??

Quote Originally Posted by 30nitro View Post
    Appears to me to be a shaft lube fitting..??
    That's a possibility I hadn't considered.

Quote Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
    That's a possibility I hadn't considered.

I had a few nitro boats...many moons ago...that had a similar set up...i used it to lube the shaft....some were solid some were flex...

Quote Originally Posted by 30nitro View Post
    I had a few nitro boats...many moons ago...that had a similar set up...i used it to lube the shaft....some were solid some were flex...
    So, just squeeze some grease in, and that's it? Or, should I rotate the shaft (slowly) by hand while squeezing the grease in?

Some would say grease...some would oil....i used oil back in the day but things have changed...i would do a little research....

I ran into a couple problems getting the TFL Jet Boat into the water. First, the original servo I ordered...Power HD-1250MG, an analog, and (supposedly) metal gear servo, with 2.2kg of torque...died after less than a minute of testing. I was greatly disappointed, as I, and others, have had excellent experiences with Power HD digital servos. I can only surmise that their analog servos are of lower quality.

Thankfully, I had my secondary choice already ordered...Hitec HS-5086WP, a digital, waterproof, metal gear servo, with 3.4kg (if I'm remembering correctly) of torque. This was ordered the day after the Power HD servo, and Amazon shipped them two days later...and, two days after that, they lost the shipment. Amazon, shipping from their own warehouse, being transported on the own trucks, to be delivered by their own delivery, lost it after it departed the shipping warehouse...it never even made it to the next stop. I used to work for Amazon, and even I can't explain how this could happen.

On the day of delivery, I received a "mysterious" email, informing me that the deliver would be delayed by 2 days, although no reason was given. This is what prompted me to contact them, to find out where my package was, and what led to the discover that Amazon had lost the package on one of their own trucks. Thankfully, they promptly shipped replacements (I had ordered 2 servos), which arrived yesterday morning, to which I installed just before heading off to a dental appointment. Even though this is a 'micro' servo, with only one mounting point at each end, it fit perfectly, being shorter in length that the actual mount opening by 0.1-0.2mm. Even better, it came with the appropriate horn already installed on-center (or, as close to "center" as you can get).

I got her in the water today, for her first two test runs...granted, only on 3S. Before I can run her on 4S, I'll have to swap the stock XT60 connector for the OSE-qs6 connectors I use on all my 4S (and above) boats. In the meantime (I need to check my qs6 supply, can as I might need to order more), I'm more than happy to run hey on 3S. Take note that this boat has NO trim tabs, and NO turn fins. I say this because, at least on 3S, she runs as if she's the most dialed-in boat anyone has ever seen. To say she was "running on rails" would be an understatement...more like she was running on a Maglev track. Here's a short video:

https://youtu.be/AV-ORRxyQGY

Thoughts? Impressions? Questions?

You weren?t kidding when you said it was dialed. I can?t help but wonder what happens when it gets choppy, I bet if the impeller pick comes out of the water that boat gets loose in a hurry.

You should paint it like one of those wild color schemes they put on race jet skis!

Quote Originally Posted by RossCo216 View Post
    You weren?t kidding when you said it was dialed. I can?t help but wonder what happens when it gets choppy, I bet if the impeller pick comes out of the water that boat gets loose in a hurry.

You should paint it like one of those wild color schemes they put on race jet skis!
    Actually, I was thinking of going with an "Imperial" theme.

Good...no, GREAT...news. OSE just got the 4-blade impellers in-stock, but I don't expect them to be in-stock for very long. If I remember correctly, when I received the "in-stock" email notification earlier this morning, Steve had 7 in-stock. As of right now (after ordering mine 2 hours ago), there are only 4 available.

https://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pr...od=cnc-2919450