Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Boat for 3s 2200mah

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Jet View Post
    The chrome (soon to be gold) cat is an H&M Micro Drifter. It's an order of magnitude larger than the Micro Iceberg and I suspect it will handle better. Stay tuned for a pilot report on it.

Absolutely. My current H&M Micro Drifter build is a twin, and I built the much smaller BBY Micro Scat Cat as a twin. One thing I learned from the BBY MSC is to use a dedicated batter per motor. I originally tried to run both motors off one battery due to space considerations, but I had start-up issues. Once I switched to two smaller batteries, the start-up issues disappeared.

Because I run 2S systems, I am usually on the lower end of an ESC's voltage range. The large current spike at start-up causes a voltage drop, and if one ESC "sees" this drop a nano-second before the other, one of them starts freaking out.
    First, regarding separate batteries for each ESC/motor, that's exactly what I'd be doing...again, if I go for a micro cat. It's no different than how my Skater X2 is (factory) configured.

Getting back to my 'internal debate', I'm thinking I've narrowed it down to two possibilities - the H&M Micro Drifter (as a dual), or MHZ Miss Madison (which, I'm assuming, can only be a single). I could, potentially, see myself doing both...but NOT now. For right now, I have to pick only one. The (really hard) quotation is, which? I did contact MHZ about the Miss Madison...specifically, about the additional parts needed...however, their reply wasn't exactly helpful.

The reply contained a link to the hull, a link to their 'recommended' combined strut/rudder assembly, and a link to their recommended motor for running 3S (SSS 3660/2700kV). Regarding the motor link, they did, at least, say to get the "bundle" that includes the motor mount. Unfortunately, their reply have absolutely NO further info - nothing about a servo mount, nothing about servo spec recommendations, nothing about an ESC mount, nothing about a battery tray (if needed...I can always use Velcro). In other words, they provided very little of the info I had requested.

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place

Quote Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
    ............ Unfortunately, their reply have absolutely NO further info - nothing about a servo mount, nothing about servo spec recommendations, nothing about an ESC mount, nothing about a battery tray (if needed...I can always use Velcro). In other words, they provided very little of the info I had requested.
    That is typical as every builder has their own ideas how to do that. The best way to get answers to questions like that is to pose them here. For example, I find 3M Dual Lock (https://www.ebay.com/itm/3M-SJ3560-D...4cd21f665ec0a1) to be more than adequate for mounting ESCs in the little boats. Small servos are cheap, some of us just glue them in place.
    A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves

One of my favorite benefits of the micros. Check eBay, and Amazon for cases or occasionally SRA cases has a deal. ( https://sra-cases.com/ ).
    Thank you, GREATLY, for the info. They're the first place I've checked (and, I've checked quite a few) that had a reasonably-priced case that's a perfect fit for my Barbwire 3, Tx, and batteries.

For example, I find 3M Dual Lock (https://www.ebay.com/itm/3M-SJ3560-D...4cd21f665ec0a1) to be more than adequate for mounting ESCs in the little boats. Small servos are cheap, some of us just glue them in place.
    That's exactly what I've been using for holding batteries in-place, the Garmin ForeTrex GPS, and the ESC in my Barbwire 3...lol...go figure.

Now that that had been "figured out", guess it's time to make a decision - MHZ Miss Madison (as a single), or H&M Drifter Micro (or Maritmo Micro, either as a dual...plus, I'd have to decide between CFK or GfK). While I "think on it", think I'll go do more testing on my Barbwire 3.

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
    Last edited by Panther6834; 07-09-2020 at 12:07 PM.

If it were me, I'd opt for the hydro for the reason there's only one motor, one ESC, one coupler, one driveshaft, one stuffing tube, one strut, one propshaft, and one propeller to deal with. The next variable is your water. The cats will handle chop better than the little hydro.

Well, took the plunge on the DF Vortex 16, Leopard 2845-2960 motor, and necessary hardware. Only thing left to do is going to be determine what esc and Servo to use once I see how much room I have with everything in the hull. I may even try to do a build thread on the boat too

Does anyone have any good threads or info on how to properly install the stuffing tube? I’ve only done it on a mono which is more straightforward than a hydro from what I can see

The important thing to consider in the micros is the balance. Tape everything in place before you cut, drill or glue anything. Plan ahead. There's lots of info here on how to do a stuffing tube, it's easy. Just remember to keep bends to a minimum.
    Attached Images Attached Images

If it were me, I'd opt for the hydro for the reason there's only one motor, one ESC, one coupler, one driveshaft, one stuffing tube, one strut, one prop shaft, and one propeller to deal with. The next variable is your water. The cats will handle chop better than the little hydro.
    And, it's because of your final sentence that I'm leaning more toward the cat. The local places where we run rarely have completely "still" water. About the only times it's still...IF it's still...is in the early-to-mid morning - say, 6-9am (maybe as late as 11am, on rare occasions). After that, the wind starts picking up...and, by mid-afternoon, the pond is left ton the fishers, the bird watchers, and the 'walkers'.

With that said, my narrowed-down list, in order of preference, is (currently) H&M Drifter Micro, Tenshock Mini Mono, and MHZ Miss Madison. Honestly, I really DO like the look of thee Miss Madison...and, I'll probably build one sooner, or later...but, for right now, whatever I build, I need to 'know' that I will be able to run it at the local pond in Campbell, and anywhere I take it while working. As for the Drifter Micro, I'd really like to build it as a dual. I'm leaning towards 3S, especially since I believe that would be the cooler-running option, but I'm not opposed to 2S. Also, considering the confined space, I have to admit that I really liked your idea of using the air-cooled drone motors (although, I worry as to whether, or not, they're waterproof). So...what say you, the 'wizards of the water'?

I took a closer look Tenshock boat and with all things considered, that may be your best bet. Building a twin from a bare cat hull is challenging. You would have to make your own motor mounts/strut mounts in mirror images and a whole lot of fooling around.

First, sorry for what is a long post, but this is quest is really becoming discouraging. In addition to contacting HMZ, I also checked with H&M...and, Oliver's reply was even less helpful than MHZ. At least, with MHZ, they recommended, and provided links for, a few different parts, including the motor mount, and a good motor for running 3S. H&M, on the other hand, provided absolutely nothing...not even a motor mount suggestion (for single, or dual).

To quote Oliver's words, he said, "Furthermore since we must reduce our hardware parts cause the chinese copy so much of our hardware we do not have all parts for the MIcro line like rudders etc." Honestly, I do understand not carrying 'all the parts', and I understand his reasoning behind it...but, at minimum, I would have thought he would at least carry and/or suggest motor mounts for his hulls...especially for the 'micro' line. Throughout the remainder of Oliver's email, he told me that I should get a much larger boat (he specifically told me I should get something in the 60-100cm range), and that I should get something that runs 6S-8S. If you're inquiring about a BMW, the last thing you expect is to be told you should be buying a Ferrari.

Looking at the idea of building a mini cat (such as the H&M Drifter Micro), I like the idea of building a dual for two primary reasons: 1) With a centered rudder, the boat turns left just as easily as it turns right, 2) With a dual, straight stuffing tubes can be used...no need for bending. With a single cat, as well as a hydro, the stuffing tube needs to be bent...and, unfortunately, I don't have any equipment for doing this. I also don't have the room for such equipment (my wife and I live in a condo). If there were a source for an already, and properly, bent stuffing tube, that could resolve this problem...but, I'm unaware of any (if anyone has a solution to this, I'm VERY open to hearing it).

As for the suggestion to just go with the Tenshock Mini Mono, the whole point of my wanting to build something small isn't just to "build"...it's also to build something different from what I already have, and I already have a 17" mono (Atomik Barbwire 3). Yes, I realize this has a plastic hull...but, it's still a good boat...and, since the rebuild, I've been getting some good speed out of her (on a 3214, she almost hit 30mph, which is faster than she would have ever run on stock electronics)...plus, I still have larger, plus a couple of higher pitch, props to test.

So, realistically, why would I want to build a Mini Mono? Besides, I still really like the H&M Drifter Micro...and it's still my primary choice. If I have no choice but to build one as a single, then, so be it...but, I'd still prefer to build one as a dual (especially considering I don't have the equipment to properly bend a stuffing tube). Unfortunately, if I were to do so, it seems I have no source for the motor mount (unless I were to go with the motor mount suggested by MHZ for the Miss Madison), nor do I have any way of properly bending the stuffing tube (again, unless someone knows how I might obtain one that's already bent, and if the proper length).

It's starting to look as if my only "options" are the previously-recommended Tenshock Mini Mono (or one of their other mini monohull kits, such as the Peter Pan, Volador, or Evolution)...or not building a mini at all. Btw, just what are the differences between these four Tenshock minis? The website gives absolutely no info.

Truthfully, I would REALLY prefer to not have another 17" mono...but, at the same time, I do want to try my hand at building a boat, and I do want another mini-size boat (besides, with four boats in the 26"-36" range, I currently don't have any more room for another large boat). If I were to go work building a Drifter Micro single, can anyone provide a solution for the bent studying tube problem, as well as the motor mount? If not, do I just "give in", and get one of the Tenshock kits...or, do I (temporarily) give up on building a boat? Again, this is becoming discouraging.

What about the Proboat 17" Miss Geico cat?

OK, Go with the Micro Drifter (hereinafter referred to as MD) and follow my thread; I'll help you out. Ask questions on that thread and go from there. As for bending a stuffing tube, I just use my fingers (I anneal the brass first), but that's a subject for another thread/post. I actually had to bend the stuffing tubes in my MD.

Living in a condo, do you have the ability to shape CF or fiberglass (G-10) to make a motor mount (See photo)? Accurately drill holes? Do you have quality, slow-setting epoxy? Have you ever worked with that kind of epoxy?

Some details of my motor mount and stuffing tube are attached. Send me a PM and we can talk more about your workspace and specialty parts without overtaking this thread.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by bhorowitz View Post
    What about the Proboat 17" Miss Geico cat?
    Is a great choice...if you want to race a snail, and lose.

Kidding aside, I had initially considered the idea of buying the hull, and building from there...but, I wanted to go with something better than a cheap molded ABS hull. Additionally, the hull's design probably can't hold up to anything much faster than the stock brushed motor - it's really designed for a "pool", not a "pond" (or a lake, for that matter").

It's starting to look as if my only "options" are the previously-recommended Tenshock Mini Mono (or one of their other mini monohull kits, such as the Peter Pan, Volador, or Evolution)...or not building a mini at all. Btw, just what are the differences between these four Tenshock minis?
    I know you aren't interested in racing, but please don't lynch me for mentioning it, as it is integral to answering your question.

The Mini Mono is a stepped surface drive deep V designed for the Mini Mono class which runs on an oval course with 60m straights and a 7.5m radius bends.

The Peter Pan, Voladoor and Evolution are unstepped shallow V, submerged drive boats designed for the Mini Eco class which runs on a triangular course with 30m straights and 120 degree corners.

The Mini Eco boats as a group are not as fast as the surface drive Mini Monos (they are similar speed to your modded Barbwire), but the Mini Ecos turn a lot better, and turn almost equally well in either direction.

Specifically the Peter Pan/Swordsman is a very old design that tended to dive on full throttle cornering in the rough. The Volador is the same hull but with a secondary ride plane added to give it a little more lift in the corners, and the Evolution is a completely revised hull with the extra ride planes from the Volador, and also anti submarining wedges at the nose. If you want one of these 3 specifically the Evolution is the one to go for, the Ecomaster Mini Eco Expert 2015 is better, doesn't come as a one click to buy kit, and without one to race against you wouldn't notice the difference.

For Examples of these boats here is a Mini Mono race.
    Paul Upton-Taylor, Greased Weasel Racing.

A Mini Hydro race.

And a Mini Eco race.

Damn you Paul, you made me hit buy on a Mini-Mono too

OK, Go with the Micro Drifter (hereinafter referred to as MD) and follow my thread; I'll help you out. Ask questions on that thread and go from there. As for bending a stuffing tube, I just use my fingers (I anneal the brass first), but that's a subject for another thread/post. I actually had to bend the stuffing tubes in my MD.

Living in a condo, do you have the ability to shape CF or fiberglass (G-10) to make a motor mount (See photo)? Accurately drill holes? Do you have quality, slow-setting epoxy? Have you ever worked with that kind of epoxy?

Some details of my motor mount and stuffing tube are attached. Send me a PM and we can talk more about your workspace and specialty parts without overtaking this thread.
    Sorry...not sure how I missed your post. I hadn't seen it until just now. In regards to your MD thread, can you please share the link, as I'm not aware as to where to find it? As probably mentioned, and as mentioned in PM, I've no place to "shape" much of anything.

Other than a few basic hand tools (hammers, wrench & socket set, cordless drill, various pliers), my most extensively-used tool is my Dremel, which I've gotten fairly creative in using. For the Dremel, be I also have the workstation, which shows me to use it as a mini drill press. Epoxy, I have, and have worked with (although, for the Barbwire, due to the hull's material (plastic), light weight, plus a portion of the hull designed to hold the stuffing time in-place close to the motor, I used E6000 for holding it in-place at the transom).

Quote Originally Posted by NativePaul View Post
    I know you aren't interested in racing, but please don't lynch me for mentioning it, as it is integral to answering your question.
    I had, and have, no intention of "lynching" you...it's almost funny to have thought that...and, thank you, very much, for that info. For now, I've decided to go with the Drifter Micro, for which Bill is 'assisting' with knowledge. As for the Tenshock boats, if/when I decide to go that route, your info WILL help me in deciding.

Some company's websites provide excellent information, which others provide none. It appears that Tenshock is, indirectly, amongst the latter group. I don't take this as a 'sign' of behind "lesser" boats...on the contrary, it leads me to believe that, at least within Europe, those familiar with the name are also familiar with the "purpose" of each boat.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12