Thread: NiMH or LiPo

Default NiMH or LiPo

"interesting" that there's a Miss Geico 17 section, yet no one has ever posted here before...so, slow e to be the first. Alright, at the same time, full disclosure: I don't even own a Miss Geico 17, alright I am considering getting one. Here's the 'situation'.....

I purchased a ProBoat ShockWave to use as a 'rescue boat'. However, due to the "slow-moving" nature of rescue boats, someone I know locally, who's also quite involved in the local race scene (as is his son), advised against it. What he said is, being brushless, constantly moving the boat show is bound to kill the motor and/or ESC. He advised using a boat with a brushed motor...thus the reason I'm now considering the 17" Miss Geico.

The thing is, I purchased a FlySky GT3C specifically for the "rescue boat" (I've already replaced the Rx in the ShockWave, tho I can easily replace it again), so I'd want to use that with the Miss Geico 17. Unfortunately, the boat's sick electronics includes an ESC/Rx combo. If I want to user the FlySky TX/Rx, that means I'll also need to replace the stock ESC...which I don't have a problem with, as I'd simply replace it with the Dynamite 2210 Waterproof Brushed 60A ESC...which finally leads me to my question.

The Dynamite 2210 is 2S LiPo, as well as 5-7 cell NiMH, compatible. All I currently use...in my boats, my off-road, and my on-road vehicles...is LiPo batteries. For me, the only 'choice' I know is LiPo...but, where brushed Marine motors are concerned, from what little I've read, it appears that LiPo batteries can run "hot", and that some people have advised using NiMH, instead.

For those who have, or had, the 17" Miss Geico...has anyone run both NiMH & LiPo batteries? If so I did you notice any temperature problems with the LiPo batteries? What about ESC and/or motor temperature differences? Also, did you notice any performance and/or runtime differences (particularly when using different battery types of the same capacity)? And finally...speaking of capacity...what is the maximum capacity, as well as the maximum battery dimensions, that will fit inside the 17" Miss Geico?

I haven't decided whether, or not, to get this boat, but having the answers to the above questions will greatly help in making a decision. While the ShockWave was intended to primarily be a 'rescue boat', it would have also been a 'just for fun' boat. If I were to get the Miss Geico 17, it would ONLY be used as a 'rescue boat'.

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place

My opinion is that in general, brushless motors run cooler, due to no arcing at all, where as brushed motors arc at the commutator and they will run hotter...

I dont see why a brushless would burn out at part throttle, the way the controllers work it just alters the frequency of the 3 phase power output... any motor/esc will heat up when run at part throttle, but i would think that a brushed motor and esc would run hotter....

I would say, it depends on what your definition of "part throttle" is. 50% throttle would still be pretty fast...plus, that's still pushing a decent amount of water though the water cooling tubes. A rescue boat, on the other hand, is mostly operated at, say, 10-20% throttle. At that does, very little (if any) water is going through the cooling tubes, thus the motor WILL run hotter.

The only other thing I can think of...whether I stick work the ShockWave, get the Miss Geico 17, or go with something else, would be to swap the motor for a much lower kV bushless motor. At full-throttle, it would still be going a lot slower than the stock motor, and there still wouldn't be a huge amount of water flowing through the cooling tubes...but, being a lower kV motor, it should run cooler.

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place

So I had picked up a Gieco 17 to use as a rescue boat also. One it's slow as hell maybe 10mph. It's made to play in swimming pools as it sits. With the NiMh battery it just doesn't have the power to push a bigger boat and it's self. Tried to bring my Zelos twin36 in after flipping it. I decide to put a brushless motor in it . Started a thread for the upgrades. In the mean time I picked up a Proboat Valvryn to use as my rescue boat. A plus for the Valvryn is it's self righting. What boat were you planning on rescuing with the Shockwave?

Boats that could require rescuing:
    ProBoat SonicWake, ProMarine Skater X2, & TFL Pursuit (carbon fiber)

Anyway, I've already decided to scrap the idea of using a Miss Geico 17...so, essentially, this thread is now "closed/dead".

Well for others .This is my planned method.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EohSQqM63q0