Thread: Spruce and Glue

Default Spruce and Glue

The other boat is already built but the spruce and glue is coming along nicely. Its really not spruce though its birch, luan, and balsa. When the botton is done and sealed I'll primer it and apply this to the sponson bottom and maybe the turn fin. The bottom will not be painted with gloss paint. It will have a matte finish in primer and the graphite. I guess such ideas are only suitable for old timers this what was passed on to me by a very brilliant one. I like "old timers" they know things..... I have other former world champion friends that would love to see me achieve my goals. And they will give assistance as needed. Ill take that torch thank you very much and go on with it.

423-768x768.jpg
    423 Graphite Powder is a fine black powder that can be mixed with epoxy to produce a low-friction exterior coating with increased scuff resistance and durability. Epoxy/graphite is commonly used as a low-load, low-speed bearing surface, as a coating on rudders and centerboards, or on the bottoms of racing craft that are dry sailed. It does not provide anti fouling qualities. The epoxy/graphite mixture cures to a black color.
    ~West Systems~

Regards
    Hubert
    Last edited by eXoNerated; 07-02-2020 at 08:19 PM.

Is that going to be your 1:8th scale SAWs boat?

Tell me more about Luan. It has been quite a while since I built a wood boat or plane and while I have heard about its emergence and rise in popularity, all I know of it is that it is relatively new to the UK, cheap, and farmed in China. I know nothing of its material properties, when I was building from wood the sheetwoods were either Balsa or Obechi, plywoods were Birch or Poplar, and stringers were Spruce, Birch or Oak. Is is used for Sheetwood, Plywood or Stringers? Is it similar to any of those woods that I am familiar with in terms of density, strength or grain structure?
    Paul Upton-Taylor, Greased Weasel Racing.

ONE of them yes. The reason for luan in this case is none of that high level stuff its simple. Its cheap! pallet liner thrown away at lowes LOL!!!! Thats why. The boat is filled with expandable foam so the rigidity would be there no matter what kind of wood I used once its decked and all sealed in, It fairly light. The plans call for an ALL BALSA boat but I wont go there just yet. I don't think I need to. To me expensive materials unless essential make no sense for a saw boat to me. It will likely be destroyed. I wont love the boat like that. I got boats for that. End cut balsa sandwiched with CF is extremely strong and rigid. If I was building a rigger with radical tub shape. I probably build a rectangular box in Balsa then surround it with end cut balsa and literally carve the hull and finish it with cf laminate.

I have a Friend In Germany Albert AT who could take this as a plug and send me back full CF hull but again I have better boats for that. Maybe the 3 wing circus gets that. I guarantee the fellas will like the Jones boat. Looks is a must in scale. I have 2 laser cutters here in my state and I can get the 3 wing laser cut no issue. I've already ordered the plan. I may make modification to the riding surface. Most of the components for the wire drive have been ordered and the machine shop is done soon enuf. It gets sick from there you'll see. Because I will never buy hardware again. Im fully versed and degreed in every aspect of machining cnc and manual. It really no issue to make the ferrules etc. Im just not fully set up yet with 3 phase power etc. My pal and I are working on a 20 horse rotary phase converter to bring in the 3 phase off single phase 240. I plan to stay here on OSE and show alot of "NEWBIE" stuff. right away.

To me Luan reminds me of low density mahogany plywood but heres the official definition.

Luan, also spelled lauan, refers to a tropical hardwood plywood product usually made from trees in the Shorea family. It has many home and hobby applications and is readily available at lumberyards and home improvement stores. The term typically refers to a plywood panel 1/4 or, less commonly, 1/8 inch thick.

If you used it on a thunderboat stained and clear it it would be very beautiful. It has a gorgeous grain pattern. Real pretty wood but I got mine for free out the trash!!! Yes, I buy 1200 drives and dig usable wood out the trash can at lowes. The tunnel floor is luan the ride pad is birch for no particular reason. It's just a boat at this stage. The tricks come later. You know my theory is power delivery and not blowing over so most of my endeavors will be chasing those two goals. This particular boat doesn't have a big turbine on top so hopefully it has a reduce aerodynamic footprint and maybe that helps.

My three boats I plan
    Tosti Asti
    90 Circus
    3 wing Circus.

Regards
    Hubert
    Last edited by eXoNerated; 07-02-2020 at 01:24 PM. Reason: addendum

Regards
    Hubert
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Time for non trips

The plans dictate the sponson's inside bevel runs the length of the boat. It runs all the way down the inside edge of the non trips. The photo does the steps no justice. When it is primed the scale guys will see the beauty there. I got em straight guys. Parallel with the tunnel wall on each side nice and sharp 3 and 6 degrees there is what the plans call for. I have not decided if I will make the trips shallower to let air escape. I may test the boat before I paint it. This way i can make those types of adjustment on the hull first. The sponsons are shallow. Their AoA is 4 degrees. It is going to be a beautiful scale. Its coming together nicely. A lot of ideas have come to mind during this construction phase. Once im done here I can finally flip the boat. The sponson bottoms get one more skin of .o625 ply. Once the boat is flipped ill add wing mounts. I'm pulling the wings in to be mounted just inside the non trips because I can get solid mounting to the frame there. The wing mounts need to be strong if it is to run with it's wing.

Regards
    Hubert
    Last edited by eXoNerated; 07-05-2020 at 06:01 AM.

Spruce & Glue.

Regards
    Hubert

I could order it but it's just an amended Pak cowl and so "exboy" figures he'll just scratch build it too.
    Once the non trips are in and I make a few passes with the plane well be getting close to finished with the hulls basic construction.
    Allz left is the wing mounts and the deck. Im using Dick's fin to start with but will likely go to a thin piece of spring steel.
    Happy boating.
    Hubert
    Last edited by eXoNerated; 07-05-2020 at 11:11 AM.

Why was this Banned?

Due to this chap and his former friend trashing threads with their arguments and carry on.
    NZMPBA 2013, 2016 Open Electric Champion. NZMPBA 2016 P Offshore Champion.
    2016 SUHA Q Sport Hydro Hi Points Champion.
    BOPMPBC Open Mono, Open Electric Champion.