Thread: Water entering boat !

Default Water entering boat !

Hi all built a 24 inch round nose Miss Thriftway hydro 12 years ago set up on 2190 kv 2860 Leopard running on 4s lipos recently i noticed substantial amounts of water in hull after 2 minute runs checked hull for cracks and checked plumbing system for leaks i even removed the flex cable and turned a bevel on the drive dog and re-packed the stuffing tube with Mercurys 2-4-C marine grease tonight after a 2 minute run there was 2 1/2 oz of water in the boat and i noticed a big gob of grease beside the flex hex i do not use a teflon liner just 3/16 brass tubing what are the chances the brass tubing could be wore out ! Where else could i look to resolve this problem ! Regards Andris Golts.

Slip a piece of silicone tubing over the inboard end of the stuffing tub so that just a bit overhangs the end...enough to just touch the flex cable. Done correctly this eliminates water entering from the stuffing tube without causing excessive drag.

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

Hi Fluid there is already a piece of med size silicone fuel tubing zip tied to the inboard end of the stuffing tube i will replace it and check again good idea ! Thank you ! Regards Andris Golts.

A 24" hydro should fit in most domestic baths, tape it up, hold it underwater, and see where the bubbles are coming from.
    Paul Upton-Taylor, Greased Weasel Racing.

Andris,

This has always worked for me - seal the joint between the stuffing tube and the strut with shrink tubing (use silicone inside before heat shrinking to make sure it won't migrate)

andris 20200702_084126.jpg
    2008 NAMBA P-Mono & P-Offshore Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder; '15 P-Cat, P-Ltd Cat 2-Lap
    2009/2010 NAMBA P-Sport Hydro Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder, '13 SCSTA P-Ltd Cat High Points
    '11 NAMBA [P-Ltd] : Mono, Offshore, OPC, Sport Hydro; '06 LSO, '12,'13,'14 P Ltd Cat /Mono