Thread: New here need help

Default New here need help

Just dig out my old KYOSHO WAVE RUNNER RC TUNNEL F1 boat from the basement. I forgot I had it. Last time I used it was 20 years ago but was constantly having problems keeping the speed controllers dry. I have all the parts. 2 brushless motors. But I forget how to put it all back together. I definitely need a new speed controller. Can someone help point me in the right direction to getting her going again. I most likely need new batteries. Mine are over 20 years old.

If you could snap some pics and post them here that would be helpful. Sounds like a cool project!

You don't really need to "worry" about getting the ESC wet...just buy a marine-grade ESC. Not only are the electronics already waterproofed, but the heatsinks have water-cooling tubes. Another option...which requires a LOT more work...would be to take another ESC (such as the Castle Mamba X...which, by the way, is already 'waterproof'), remove the heatsink, and replace the stock heatsink with a marine heatsink that has the water cooling pipe(s).

As for the receiver (I know you didn't mention, or ask about, it...but, felt it worth mentioning), depending on you brand preference, you can get a waterproof Rx (such as Spektrum), you can take a standard Rx and waterproof the circuit board(s) using something like CorrosionX, or you can put the Rx inside a waterproof receiver box.

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place

F-1 tunnel's my favorite subject. How far do you want to go with your old boat, what brushless motors do you have, an how fast, vs run time = esc. Some of these old tunnels don't handle vary well, if you try an boost their performance too much past what they were originally designed for. A nice conservative 3S set up(if the old out board can handle it) 2000 kv motor, 60 / 90 amp esc, 440 prop, should fetch plenty run time with speeds around low 30's, sounds about right for that old hull.

Disclaimer: Old ABS plastic can become brittle an crack easily. proceed with caution.
    PROBOAT BlackJack 24", ShockWave 26"
    MRP U-31, 3 tunnels VS1, MRP Bud Light, Dumas HS Sprint

I want to get it going back to factory spec. I just took a bunch of pics. How do I post them?

The water proof speed controllers 20 yrs ago were garbage. Mine always got wet and stopped working.

I haven?t put this thing together in over 20 years. Not sure what goes where. Can?t remember. Someone point me in right direction?

Just need help getting pointed in the right direction to jar my memory

testing components. Wiring. What goes where. Etc.

Sorry I'm no help in figuring out how to put it back together. It might be easier to buy a New brushless motor and esc and fit them in . Save the servo and servo tray its obvious where they go. Good luck with it.

To get her going back to OEM spec, easy and cheapest rout it to stick with a brushed motor esc combo. That old motor still spin, if not any stock R.O.A.R. 550 car motor should work, an can be had cheep enough. Marine grade ESC are piped for water cooling, you won't need that, a brushed car ESC will work jest fine, and they are all so H2o proof.

I would try and keep the steering servo to the rear, with the ESC jest in front of that, an the battery up front. Once you have your electronics in house you will see everything fall in to place.
    PROBOAT BlackJack 24", ShockWave 26"
    MRP U-31, 3 tunnels VS1, MRP Bud Light, Dumas HS Sprint