Thread: Motor test

Default Motor test

I burned up the motor or the ESC . How do I test the motor and not burn up another ESC?

Use a continuity test on a DMM and put one lead on the motor case and try each phase. There should be no continuity. A megger is how you can check the insulation but unless the motor was driven extremely hot I doubt that's failed. Usually the controllers go first.

Look at the winding's and make sure none of them look dark or black.

Hi,
    some questions. Do you know the kv of the motor ? , Do you have a electric drill ? and do you have a voltmeter to messure volts ?
    If all Yes , we can start. Take the drill and place the motorshaft of the brocken? motor in the cuck. Then hold the motor and start the drill to drive the motor . You can feel how strong is the drag of the motor can . This test is ok if you have done such with the new motor , so you know the drag of the can. Normaly it is not very strong. But if some of the coils are bad you will feel a strong dragmoment to hold the can. You can now also messure the induced volts of the motor. All separate mesured volts between the 3 phase wire have to be even . If you know the free running rpm of your drill you can messure the volts and than you can calculate the kv of the open phase .
    This volts have to be lower than the kv that you can mesure with , say 3,6 volts direct feed in the motor esc. And all 3 mesured volts of the 3 phase have to be close the same. Little difference allowed because of different magnets , different airgap , different count wind.
    A normal drill has most rpm of max. 2000 to 2300 rpm. kv = rpm per volt.

Happy Amps Christian
    Happy Amps Christian