Thread: ABC pros

Default ABC pros

I decided to try some ABC props and maybe pick up some speed on my PT 45. What a Sheet show !!This hull HATES them!! They by far where the most difficult props I have ever tested. Couldn't get the boat started to get on plane , would prop torque real bad like the prop was twisting the boat side to side because it was biting so hard, would hop like crazy and not get on plane and worst yet if I stop the boat in the water it was almost impossible to get it going again. Strut moved ALL OVER as well. Tried the 1716, 1717 and an 18 something.
    Any one run into this ?? Going back to the Prather stainless 235 and 240 props.

Sounds like you picked the wrong prop. On diameter alone, you're not even close. A Prather 240 is a 53mm prop. An ABC 1716 is 43mm with a lot of pitch. I don't know what a PT45 is, so I can't help much on recommending a prop.

Your prop choice was off. Too small for the hull and too high a pitch ratio. Try a 2014, 2015, 2115-17-45. That hull was designed around 50-55mm props common on the .45 nitro versions.
    Brian "Snowman" Buaas
    Team Castle Creations
    NAMBA FE Chairman

Well my theory was to run a smaller prop with high pitch do to the fact that I spin the motor to 45,000 under load.
    In the past a larger prop always created issues with amp draw and boat stability.

The diameter of the prop is what creates the thrust cone in the water. Too small, and you ain't going anywhere. Yes, too large of a diameter can also cause issues, high amp draw being among them, but over compensating with a tiny prop is not going to work.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

I should have said the prop choice was off for the particular hull. Motor choice when you're converting some of the nitro designs to FE is an issue. Often times, backing down on kV to allow suitable prop/hull combo helps.

For reference, both my current 4-cell hydro records (SAW and oval) were set with combos running under 40k loaded.
    Brian "Snowman" Buaas
    Team Castle Creations
    NAMBA FE Chairman

The best this hull has gone was 108mph with a 106 back up run pulling 310-320 amps,2,200kv,45,000 rpm on a modded Prather 235.
    I found that this combination lives for a very long time with out melting down.

If the system is reliable with the p235, try a similar ABC. The P235 is just shy of 51mm and 1.6 pitch ratio. Try a 2016-17-45. Essentially the same diameter and pitch, maybe more efficient.
    Brian "Snowman" Buaas
    Team Castle Creations
    NAMBA FE Chairman

Becarefull with ABC props they load the motor and esc more up
    I am a big fan of prather props (Sprint Cat 36 with TP4060 and prather 240 102mph )and i tested a ABC 1915-17 and destroyed a motor

Well if you use the wrong one. That isnt a matter of prop brand thats a matter of prop selection within a line. U should never assume just because the pitch and diameter are the same that the loading will be the same for props of a different brand or series within a brand. Alot of other things working to determine those differences between brands or a certain cut. There ceratinly will be an ABC that works as good as a prather if you had select it. ABC has the most complete line and options within that line than any other rc surface piercing prop producer. Jim is a true maritime engineer and has put together what he feels mostly anyone would ever need in our boats. If you have a particular quest you can also consult him.

Regards
    Hubert