Thread: Need advice on LiPo 3s 5000mAh battery charger and Sonicwake36

Default Need advice on LiPo 3s 5000mAh battery charger and Sonicwake36

I have a Smart S2100 battery charger that failed after 2 weeks and think there is a better charger out there. My boat uses 2 5000 S3 batteries. Being new to the electric boat world and reading reviews (which I don't trust) on chargers hoping someone can help.

Also I hava a Sonicwake36 which keeps breaking the nylon rudder shear bolt. The water is clear and I am sure I have not hit anything. Is this normal with high speed boats or am I missing something? Or do I need to purchase 8-38 nylon bolts in bulk?

Thanks
    Ken

Wow what a surprise no one has and suggestions on a charger

I use the Hyperion 720i Super duo3 and love it. They're not made any more, but can be found used for $100-$150. Sorry, can't help you out with anything new. iCharger and Revolectrix CellLab chargers are very nice though.

You can try switching your shear bolt to brass, but the majority of my boats run nylon, and I typically only break them in a bad crash with an awkward rudder landing.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Own and have used a HiTec X4 AC Pro (AC/DC) and love this thing. Quiet, efficient, easy to "program" and just flat out works. You will need to supply your own 4mm banana to (what ever battery connector) to charge your batteries. It comes with 2 battery cables-Deans connectors, the 2-balance boards, but that is a small price to pay to get a great charger. Get ya one!
    Been Smashing RC Throttles since 1997

This is the charger I use.
    For race days I need to charge up 15 or more 6000mah packs in 3s, 4s, & 6s depending on what classes I have nominated to race in.
    I parallel charge 2 x packs on each channel at the same time with a 40A power supply. Works great, & all packs are charged in a just a few hours. You won't need to do that, and a 20A power supply will be fine for your packs.

https://au.banggood.com/SKYRC-Extrem...r_warehouse=CN

I gave up using shear bolts for rudders years ago.
    I use a steel bolt but with a curved slot in the rudder block. The steel bolt can be tightened to hold the rudder in place but allow it to deflect backwards if it hits something.
    Here's a pic of one on my Ferrari

005.jpg
    Last edited by 785boats; 06-26-2020 at 01:52 AM.

Thanks for the help with the chargers. What a great idea on the shear bolt! That's what I am going to do.