Thread: Esc

Default Esc

So i run this boat on 6s and i have the dual pickup rudder set up. (I don?t think it really runs any cooler than stock. Way to hot) I just got my dr props tornado 45 prop and i love it. First run with the new prop pulled the cover when the two graphine 6000mah batteries died and smoke came out. The top of one of the capacitors on the esc cracked and some hair like stuff came out.

Should i throw in a seaking 180a esc? Or just replace it and try hooking up one of these https://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pr...rod=tfl-521b30 i bet it works better than the tiny pickups on the rudder

Pardon my French, but...oh, $h!t. Just curious, but, are you still running the stock EC5 connectors? If so, sounds like a possible 'resistance overload', meaning that the higher resistance of the "too small for 6S" connectors got WAY too hot from too high a resistance, and everything went "up in smoke" domino-effect style. Also, what brand, and C-rating, were the batteries? A cheap brand, with tabs and/or wires that are too small can also increase resistance, thus increase heat. You might also want to check your motor...make sure it's not damaged/fried.

As long as I'm still running only 4S, I feel confident that the EC5s are "good enough". However, before I start running 6S, I'll be swapping those for some larger 6mm connectors, as well as swapping the stock ESC for a Seaking 180A.

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place

I ordered that pick up and am going to make it dedicated to the seaking 180 i also ordered. Also going to put the stock rudder back on it if i can find it for motor cooling, If not just use one of the pickups on the dual pickup rudder and leave the other open or put in a y and feed both rudder pick ups to the motor

I am doing some upgrades to my sonicwake and I have already upgraded to the dual rudder pickup kit from Boatbitz for my cooling system and I want to install a different ESC since the Dynamite 120A IS junk!
    I was thinking about getting the Seaking 180 ESC but it?s a tight squeeze in my hull, so wondering has anyone tried upgrading to the Turnigy Marine ESC 150A or the OES 150 ESC Radier and run it with a Leopard 4074 Motor?
    There are 6 versions and I was wondering what would be the best fit for my boat - I heard that the 1050 runs smooth! Please let me know your thoughts and opinions?
    1050 Kv/rpm per volt
    1400 Kv/rpm per volt
    1650 Kv/rpm per volt
    1800 Kv/rpm per volt
    2000 Kv/rpm per volt
    2200 Kv/rpm per volt

sci logo.jpg

I finally completed my "6S upgrade", installing the Seaking 180A ESC, and Leopard 3674 motor. First test run was on the stock prop, and, other than some 'hopping', she ran great...super cool, and approximately (estimated) the same speed as the stock electronics on 4S...but with a longer runtime (which is part of my goal.

On the second run, using a CNC-4514 (larger diameter, but smaller pitch), and after slightly lowering the trim tabs (attempting to eliminate the 'hopping'), she ran super smooth...but, I ran into a problem. I thought that the motor had overheated, fried, and melted the solder on one of the motor-side bullets...but, after resoldering the connector, and 9 minutes of out-of-water, full-throttle testing, I believe that it was probably nothing more than a poor soldering job at the Leopard factory, as the motor appears to be good (I will, however, be keeping am extremely good eye on it for the next dozen, or so, runs).

I have the BoatBitz adjustable trim tabs, and, while I was trying to hold off installing them until the new hull (it's a surprise, and will be revealed in the main SonicWake thread) arrives, I'm thinking about installing them now.

Quote Originally Posted by UpliFT-RC View Post
    I am doing some upgrades to my sonicwake and I have already upgraded to the dual rudder pickup kit from Boatbitz for my cooling system and I want to install a different ESC since the Dynamite 120A IS junk!
    I was thinking about getting the Seaking 180 ESC but it?s a tight squeeze in my hull, so wondering has anyone tried upgrading to the Turnigy Marine ESC 150A or the OES 150 ESC Radier and run it with a Leopard 4074 Motor?
    There are 6 versions and I was wondering what would be the best fit for my boat - I heard that the 1050 runs smooth! Please let me know your thoughts and opinions?
    1050 Kv/rpm per volt
    1400 Kv/rpm per volt
    1650 Kv/rpm per volt
    1800 Kv/rpm per volt
    2000 Kv/rpm per volt
    2200 Kv/rpm per volt
    First, there's nothing saying you would need to install the Seaking 180A in the stock location...and, truthfully, unless you add something like a fiberglass ESC mount on top of the plastic tray, it won't fit, anyway. Using double-sided, I've (temporarily) mounted it into the hull, alongside the plastic tray, pushed as close as I could get it. Yes, this DOES affect the balance, and it COULD affect the self-righting function. I discovered this quite quickly, as center-affixed batteries WILL cause the self-righting to fail.

However, for the second test run, I positioned the batteries as close to the water chamber as I could, and, before starting the second run, I did a quick self-righting test - I put the boat into the water upside-down, and, within seconds, it's was doing it's thing. I do have the aforementioned fiberglass ESC mount, and, once I receive the new hull (probably a few weeks away), I will be using epoxy to affix it on top of the original ESC's mounting location, so as to re-center the weight. As for the OSE Raider 150A ESC, I am strongly considering one, albeit, for a different boat.

Finally, for motor choices, you might want to read through the OSE & RC Groups SonicWake threads, as there are a few who have installed 40mm cans, and some of them have described the "troubles" of modifying the rear (front, if you're looking at it from the hull's bow-to-stern perspective) portion of the motor mount. The mount mounting to the shaft end isn't a problem, as long as the screw diameter is the same...but, the other end had a curvature designed specifically for a 36mm can. That's why, in selecting my 'upgrade' motor, I was only looking at 36mm cans. Looking back on my decision, if I were to do it again, the only change I might would be going for a different brand motor.

Whatever you do, best of luck...and, have fun.

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place

IMG_3153.jpg
    IMG_3154.jpg
    IMG_3155.jpg
    Seaking 180 in my boat on rubber mounted piece of plexiglass
    with my dr props tornado 45mm prop and 2 3s turnigy graphine 6000mah batts in series (they are heavy) after 2 passes either the motor fades or my batteries are going bad and about 5 full speed passes it gets to 150F. if i hammer on it the boat only runs for about 3 min and hits low voltage cut off. i even lowered the stock setting for the LVC on the seaking to get a little more run time but any longer run with this prop and it just gets really hot. But she fly's. i am going to throw the stock prop back on and see how big of a difference it makes
    Last edited by jhurlbert; 07-15-2020 at 06:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jhurlbert View Post
    IMG_3153.jpg
    IMG_3154.jpg
    IMG_3155.jpg
    Seaking 180 in my boat no rubber mounted piece of plexiglass
    with my dr props tornado 45mm prop and 2 3s turnigy graphine 6000mah batts in series (they are heavy) after about 6 full speed passes it everything gets to 150F. But she fly's
    That's a cool solution...I like it.

#Panther6834 - superb idea with the plexiglass! Do you know what size that pcs you fit in your SW by chance? Check it out - I was thinking since I push my two 3 Lipos all the towards the front of the boat when running, it which leaves me about 2-3 inches left of the battery tray that I don't even use! I am thinking about using my dermal and cut away that 2-3 inches they I don't use! Cut a pierce of plexiglass, just like you did and use epoxy like you did and install and fit the Seaking 180 ESC What are your thoughts and concerns?

SW ESC.jpg

#Panther6834 - superb idea with the plexiglass! Do you know what size that pcs you fit in your SW by chance? Check it out - I was thinking since I push my two 3 Lipos all the towards the front of the boat when running, it which leaves me about 2-3 inches left of the battery tray that I don't even use! I am thinking about using my dermal and cut away that 2-3 inches they I don't use! Cut a pierce of plexiglass, just like you did and use epoxy like you did and install and fit the Seaking 180 ESC What are your thoughts and concerns?

SW ESC.jpg
    The plexiglass install isn't mine...it's the Ops (

SW ESC.jpg
    The plexiglass install isn't mine...it's the Op's, jhurlbert. I can't take credit.

I am thinking about taking a dermal and taking the back end of the battery tray off AND REMOVE MY stock 120a Dynamite ESC and install my Fiberglass Mount that I bought from OSE to fit my Seaking 180 V3 ESC! Instead of installing the SEAKING 180 ESC off to the right of the boat, I am going to install it in the middle of the hull. Ones I remove the stock ESC and i will be using a dermal and grind down the back of my battery tray and then I will be able to fit that Fiber glass tray flush in the middle that i got from OSE! Spec on the Fiber glass mount is the following - Measures: 78x73mm 17.5mm high. I think its going to work perfect, crossing my fingers :)

Here is a short video on how I am going to be doing it, please let me know your thoughts and concerns?

Sorry I meant a Seaking 180 ESC at second 0:36!!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FA4C-uKVTBI

CNC5301_b4_medium.jpg
    Last edited by UpliFT-RC; 07-22-2020 at 07:57 AM.
    BJ42'' / Miss Geico 36'' / TFL Hydro 35'' / Retrieval boat 30'' Tug
    Make sure you check out my Youtube channel -----> shorturl.at/ntFQ7

I am thinking about taking a dermal and taking the back end of the battery tray off AND REMOVE MY stock 120a Dynamite ESC and install my Fiberglass Mount that I bought from OSE to fit my Seaking 180 V3 ESC! Instead of installing the SEAKING 180 ESC off to the right of the boat, I am going to install it in the middle of the hull. Ones I remove the stock ESC and i will be using a dermal and grind down the back of my battery tray and then I will be able to fit that Fiber glass tray flush in the middle that i got from OSE! Spec on the Fiber glass mount is the following - Measures: 78x73mm 17.5mm high. I think its going to work perfect, crossing my fingers :)

Here is a short video on how I am going to be doing it, please let me know your thoughts and concerns?

Sorry I meant a Seaking 180 ESC at second 0:36!!

CNC5301_b4_medium.jpg
    Just so you know, having the Staging 180A ESC slightly to the side does NOT necessarily alter the self-righting. That's where mine is temporarily mounted. By placing the batteries as close to the flood chamber as possible, self-righting still works.

That being said, what you're planning on doing is, essentially, the same thing I'll be doing (using the same fiberglass mount, which I already have) for the ESC's permanent mounting position.

Panther6834 - i BOUGHT a OSE Fiberglass Mount for Seaking 180 V3 ESC Measures: 78x73mm 17.5mm high and this is how I am going to install mine by dermaling the battery tray out since I only use the front of it and this is how I am going to do it!

Panther6834 - i BOUGHT a OSE Fiberglass Mount for Seaking 180 V3 ESC Measures: 78x73mm 17.5mm high and this is how I am going to install mine by dermaling the battery tray out since I only use the front of it and this is how I am going to do it!

I know, and I was agreeing with what your plan is. As I also said, in regards to the "permanent" mounting position of my Seaking 180A, I plan on doing, essentially, the same thing (I also already bought the FG mount). I'm just waiting on the new hull (have a guy up in Oregon working on something "special").

Quote Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
    I know, and I was agreeing with what your plan is. As I also said, in regards to the "permanent" mounting position of my Seaking 180A, I plan on doing, essentially, the same thing (I also already bought the FG mount). I'm just waiting on the new hull (have a guy up in Oregon working on something "special").

What do you mean by a FG mount if you don't mind me asking? I am getting ready to pull the trigger on my Seaking 180 ESC for my SW and install my fiber glass mount for the new ESC so it will be mounted smack in the middle just like yours will be!
    Should I also grad the OSE 6mm Gold Plated Bullet connectors to go with the Seaking 180 ESC?
    Last edited by UpliFT-RC; 08-03-2020 at 06:58 AM.

What do you mean by a FG mount if you don't mind me asking? I am getting ready to pull the trigger on my Seaking 180 ESC for my SW and install my fiber glass mount for the new ESC so it will be mounted smack in the middle just like yours will be!
    Should I also grad the OSE 6mm Gold Plated Bullet connectors to go with the Seaking 180 ESC?
    FG = fiberglass
    CF = carbon fiber
    KF = Kevlar fiber

KF = Kevlar fiber

I just got the SonicWave in Feb. Like many say here the esc seems way too hot. I bought the dual flow rudder and the cnc prop upgrade from OSE but she ran hotter than when it was stock! Running at around 160 - 170F compared to 135 before I added the dual rudder. That does not make sense to me.

Is there an easier fix than adding the se king 180? I would like to run 6s and keep the boat fast but do not want to burn it up. What other suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by nadanixon View Post
    I just got the SonicWave in Feb. Like many say here the esc seems way too hot. I bought the dual flow rudder and the cnc prop upgrade from OSE but she ran hotter than when it was stock! Running at around 160 - 170F compared to 135 before I added the dual rudder. That does not make sense to me.
    drift boss
    Is there an easier fix than adding the se king 180? I would like to run 6s and keep the boat fast but do not want to burn it up. What other suggestions?
    Have you found an easier fix than adding se king 180?

I had a Sonicwake and that was one of the problems that I would always run into with that set up. fAST AND FUN BASHER BOAT but very short runs unless you upgrade the ESC.
    Dual water lines will not do it my friend... Before mine it caught on fire and sank to the bottom of the lake from Overheating one day- lol, I did pull one of my personal best in speed records.
    I pulled 79mph with my Sonicwake that was bone stock except for a prop sawp..

If I were you - I would install one of OSE electronics ESC's!
    They are the 150's i think.

https://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pr...sss-3682-combo

Quote Originally Posted by squelchlater View Post
    It wasn't until the beginning of February that I finally got my hands on a SonicWave. The esc, as many have said, appears to be extremely warm. The dual flow rudder and cnc prop update from OSE didn't help, and the boat got much hotter than before. I installed a dual rudder, and the engine now runs at about 160-170C, up from 135C. To me, that does not add up to anything.
    mario games
    I hope that you mean "F" and not "C" in temperature.

Larry
    Past NAMBA- P Mono -1 Mile Race Record holder
    Past NAMBA- P Sport -1 Mile Race Record holder
    Bump & Grind Racing Props -We Like Em Smooth & Wet