Thread: Maiden run - 2 for the price of 1!

Default Maiden run - 2 for the price of 1!

During the lockdown, my son and I were bored, so we finished a cat we were building, and we started and finished a V bottom boat (aptly named QUARANTINE). Both boats are scratch built balsa with fiberglass coatings.

Today was the maiden run for both; one turned out superb, the other, let's just say there are a lot of adjustments (and some spare parts) in it's future!

First to run was the V hull. You can read about that boat here.

Specs on this one are:
    24" V bottom
    SSS 2960 2200kv Motor
    TFL P1 Outdrive with 36mm bronze propeller
    OSE 150A ESC
    Tactic radio and Annimos DS3218MG 20 Kg waterproof servo
    HRB 5000 mAH 4S

Adjustment (drive angle I think, but could also be balance) was off (and I also need to lower the right trim tab to balance motor torque), so the boat was bucking like a bronco. I also lost one of the screws that align the drive for steering, which is why the video ends with the boat going in circles, AND I striped the gears (the meshing was not properly adjusted, and I did not check for that).

Please excuse the video quality; it was my son's first time filming a video of something fast.
    Last edited by jfrabat; 06-06-2020 at 09:38 PM.

Now, I needed to get my spirits up, so I took out the cat (read about that one here), and it did not disappoint! I have no idea about the speed, but it is more than enough for me. I can still go to a larger prop, as temps were slightly warm to the touch at most, but, to be honest, I am seriously considering leaving it like this.

Specs on this one are:
    30" Catamaran
    Leopard LBP4074-B 1800KV driving a CNC 4016-D (I also have a CNC 4216-D and an Octura X442, but I am tempted just to leave the 4016 in there)
    OSE 150A ESC
    Fly Sky FS GT5 & Savox Mini Servo
    Lumenier 4S 6600 MAh (a left over from my old drone)

And a second video of the cat, because... well, why the heck not?

I stopped running because the other boat all of a sudden started running (I though I had disconnected the batteries, but I had not! You can hear it in the video).