Thread: ESC on fire MGM

Default ESC on fire MGM

Hello guys today after doing some tests when returning home I had the batteries connected to the drives and one has started burning with a flame of more than 50cm and it was off I do not understand. This is a bug in the ESC.
    The batteries weren't nothing just one little Dirty from the smoke.
    For God's sake, I had no fire in the trunk of the. Car.
    Does this
    Last edited by RafM; 06-08-2020 at 11:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RafM View Post
    Hello guys today after doing some tests when returning home I had the batteries connected to the drives and one has started burning with a flame of more than 50cm and it was off I do not understand. This is a bug in the ESC.
    The batteries weren't nothing just one little Dirty from the smoke.
    For God's sake, I had no fire in the trunk of the. Car.
    Does this think it's going to go under warranty?

Thank you

Enviado desde mi ELE-L29 mediante Tapatalk
    Show

Any chance that ESC was connected to the left motor with the cable that failed?
    MODEL BOAT RACER
    IMPBA President
    District 13 Director 2011- present
    IMPBA National Records Director 2009-2019
    IMPBA 19887L CD
    NAMBA 1169

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Smock View Post
    Any chance that ESC was connected to the left motor with the cable that failed?
    Hello I had no change I was testing the boat and then home and when I got there started the fire nothing bad

They were plugged in surround g transport? If so never do that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by photohoward1 View Post
    They were plugged in surround g transport? If so never do that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It was plugged in, but Off on the switch

If I was Mr MGM and saw those pictures, I wouldn't give you warranty on it.
    Paul Upton-Taylor, Greased Weasel Racing.

Quote Originally Posted by NativePaul View Post
    If I was Mr MGM and saw those pictures, I wouldn't give you warranty on it.
    Why?

It takes a heck of a lot of power to turn a flex into a pretzel and spin it at 30k+ rpm, you will have produced way more amps in doing so than any ESC is rated for.

Make sure your shafts are appropriately sized for the load, the stuffing tube (and PTFE if fitted) is the appropriate size for the shaft, it is well aligned, well lubricated, has minimal unsupported length between the stuffing tube and coupler, and if you really must use a collar there make sure it it well balanced to minimise the chance of that happening again. Still bad luck happens, and running over a semi submerged plastic bag or a wad of discarded fishing line will rip stuff up and/or burn stuff up regardless of your best efforts.

As above, don't transport your boats plugged in, plug them in right before a run and unplug them right after, whether you have had an incident or not, but if do have an incident make un-taping and disconnecting the battery your number one priority, in the rescue boat before you even get to shore if you are using one, or the second you get it ashore if not.
    Paul Upton-Taylor, Greased Weasel Racing.

Well that's not good. But as mentions you shouldn't leave the batteries plugged in even when off. From my understanding there is still battery drain . Your lucky the battery or batteries didn't go up instead of the esc.

Pretty sure my Proboat manual mentioned this when I bought it. Stay safe and good luck.

Stay away from mgm….. there crap IMO. there is a couple Schultz for sale, here in the for sale thread . They work , don't need a lap top at the pond to continually adjust settings.
    Cheers, Jay.

Quote Originally Posted by jaike5 View Post
    Stay away from mgm….. there crap IMO. there is a couple Schultz for sale, here in the for sale thread . They work , don't need a lap top at the pond to continually adjust settings.
    Cheers, Jay.
    I have had the complete opposite experience with my MGM ESC's.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Quote Originally Posted by jaike5 View Post
    Stay away from mgm?.. there crap IMO. there is a couple Schultz for sale, here in the for sale thread . They work , don't need a lap top at the pond to continually adjust settings.
    Cheers, Jay.
    Hello Jay can you say me where can to find the Schultz
    Thanks!

Past NAMBA- P Mono -1 Mile Race Record holder
    Past NAMBA- P Sport -1 Mile Race Record holder
    Bump & Grind Racing Props -We Like Em Smooth & Wet

About a year ago I bought a new MGM 28026 direct from MGM. After a few runs the boat came in and I untapped the hatch. Then as I was disconnecting the lipo the unit went boom caught on fire and then went out but was a charred mess as in the photo's here. Now I do run things hard but this was just a prop and data run with maybe a 180 amp load and a couple laps. Contacted MGM and they wanted download data which was up in smoke. They accepted photos and agreed it wasn't worth sending to them. They offered a new unit at half price plus shipping ($60)and I said that was not satisfactory. After several e-mails and calls up their chain of command they replaced it begrudgingly for shipping. Needless to say a premium price for a great controller when it works but a real pain dealing with a company 4000 miles away. To me not worth the price anymore. I have had 6 MGM's in the last 8 years and for some reason the one 28026 that is oldest still works. 2 of them and 3 25035's are history. Includes the replacement.
    Mic

Mic Halbrehder
    IMPBA 8656
    NAMBA 1414

I have 5 MGM 280 esc. They are in my scrap box with. Utterly unreliable. Only had one burn though. They didn't warranty that one.

That said, when your shaft failed it likely damaged the esc. Leaving the power too a damaged esc can go badly under the best of circumstances. Turning the switch off may have meant nothing to it as it was already injured so to speak.
    Noisy person

I know some of you guys have had bad experiences with the MGM's, but mine have been pretty reliable and I have yet to burn one up.
    I did learn early on the MGM's are more finicky with certain motors compared to others.
    Lehners and MGM's are very reliable combo's however MGM's are low wind 4-poles are not terribly reliable. This is particularly true for 0.5Y's and 1D motors from Neu and low wind number TP's and Leopards.

If you guys are running 4-poles I suggest modified Castle 200's.

In the OP's situation I agree with Terry, the damaged cable likely caused a massive current spike damaging the ESC before it could protect itself.
    What wind 2250 are you running?
    Tyler Garrard
    NAMBA 639/IMPBA 20525
    T-Hydro @ 142.94mph former WR

This i something i experienced, my AS26-150 ran terrible with NEU motors, with Lehner's they are beautiful...

slightly annoying as i cant use a Tp4070 with one to save some costs...
    Hpr 06 / 09 / 150 /185, Mhz Skater H45 hydro.
    Uk SAW record holder

Quote Originally Posted by RaceMechaniX View Post
    however MGM's and low wind 4-poles are not terribly reliable. This is particularly true for 0.5Y's and 1D motors from Neu and low wind number TP's and Leopards.
    Terry, do you consider 3Y 4-poles a low wind? Not sure how that scale would progress.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

I unfortunately have submerged my MGM 400/63 twice for maybe 2 minutes and still going strong. Why you may ask lol. My T mono is so fast I'm having trouble keeping it on the water

Half and quater turns in a fractionally slotted concentrated wound motor has lower induction then the Lehner. The sinus MGM drive needs more pwm to run the short coiled motor it does not have. A sinus alroth also take more processor speed so when you run high pole counts the commutation seqence runs out speed and performance quicly declines. The choice controller TODAY to run with a NEU is APD now. I showed Steve the prototype controllers he's tested them and then adopted it into their sales. Ask Gerben The F5D world champion won't go back to castle inverters after trying this. The brake and throttle response is all better and this is from the world champion pilots who pull in excess of 10kW often in their geared setups. You see the fets carry alot of copper with the high pin count. Naturally they are the most power dense inverters in the industry. A mil spec drive. Give me a chance and I'll show you a scope capture of how a sinus drives runs past it commutation speed and the pulse train begins to lose its definition. The 120 and 200 amp 12s APD drives are not a god awful in price either. You dont have to consider them but if you want the most current drive tech this is it. The other are the open source BLheli inverters . They are more capable than an marine specific controllers which the industry still hasnt got right for us. We really dont need sophistication . Boats need torque thus we need amps. The companies keep making 200 ampere drives but most of us are averaging 150-180 so a CHEAP 400 ampere drive thats not too huge would be a good place for heavy competitors. With the advent of SiC components drive technology should move ahead in leaps and bounds.

https://neumotors.cartloom.com/storefront/product/brushless-motor-controllers

Regards,
    Hubert
    Last edited by eXoNerated; 06-25-2020 at 02:22 PM.