Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How is covid affecting the IMPBA and NAMBA races?

Default How is covid affecting the IMPBA and NAMBA races?

I have not been keeping up so I was just curious how the bodies are responding to the current state of things as we slowly start to re open the states?

Thanks
    Hubert.

**Alert**
    Could a mod please move this post to the appropriate section. I assume it would be IMPBA ans NAMBA race discussions.

So far holding a posted or sanctioned event is kind of in "limbo". The first consideration is personal safety for the whole group. If an individual is willing to risk the virus that's a choice, passing it on to another may not be their choice. As a group or club you have some liability in organizing an event. You may feel it is safe but what percentage of safety is acceptable? If you feel 90-98% is acceptable, are you as a group or an individual willing to take responsibility for the 2-10% chance your wrong?

The next issue we face is many of our sites are public parks or ponds. Sure in absence of a complete lockdown what is acceptable? 10 guys in a group probably not going to raise eyebrows. 25 in a group? adding friends and pit people? So now we get 40-50 people in a park. (masks-no masks) Now some citizen complains to the parks department and guess what, you may loose your site. Your not going to like my view here but whether you believe in mitigation or let it go to herd immunity the general consensus in the medical community is masks and as a group we might want to accommodate that and social distance in groups over 10 people. Just a matter of how long you want to wait or risk loosing a site? The virus doesn't have an expiration date yet.
    Mic

Mic Halbrehder
    IMPBA 8656
    NAMBA 1414

Michigan Cup was cancelled.

We were able to hold a club race but it was a pain in the behind. No more than 4 drivers on the stand. Pit men were no where near them so all they did was count laps. We got it done and had fun but it sure wasn't ideal.

I do wonder about sanctioned races that typically attract travelers. Is everybody broke? Will they want to stay in hotels and eat in restaurants? Lots to think about.
    Noisy person

Quote Originally Posted by HTVboats View Post
    Just a matter of how long you want to wait or risk loosing a site?
    Mic's dead on here. Do it how ever the site owner wants it done. Even if they're wrong.
    Noisy person

Following state & local guidelines here in Ga & SC. Haven't put on a race since Feb.
    It looks like a couple of clubs are going to do some small fun runs this month. Hopefully we'll get races in starting next month. Time will tell....
    MODEL BOAT RACER
    IMPBA President
    District 13 Director 2011- present
    IMPBA National Records Director 2009-2019
    IMPBA 19887L CD
    NAMBA 1169

2008 NAMBA P-Mono & P-Offshore Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder; '15 P-Cat, P-Ltd Cat 2-Lap
    2009/2010 NAMBA P-Sport Hydro Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder, '13 SCSTA P-Ltd Cat High Points
    '11 NAMBA [P-Ltd] : Mono, Offshore, OPC, Sport Hydro; '06 LSO, '12,'13,'14 P Ltd Cat /Mono

We're in the same boat as Doug in IMPBA D13. First three races in 12 have been cancelled. The first two races were during stay at home orders. Our third was scheduled for three weeks from now. We're still in Phase 1 in Northern VA. We'll probably be in Phase 2 in a couple weeks but that still requires social distancing. Some of the folks did not like the idea of wearing masks under any circumstance. I was hoping they would at least consider wearing them on the drivers stand and in the hot pits. Plus our pond is public and closely watched. We decided it just wasn't worth risking the health of our members or loosing the pond. I don't know that we would of had enough entries anyway...

Last edited by ray schrauwen; 06-06-2020 at 09:45 AM.
    Nortavlag Bulc

Quote Originally Posted by Chilli View Post
    We're in the same boat as Doug in IMPBA D13. First three races in 12 have been cancelled. The first two races were during stay at home orders. Our third was scheduled for three weeks from now. We're still in Phase 1 in Northern VA. We'll probably be in Phase 2 in a couple weeks but that still requires social distancing. Some of the folks did not like the idea of wearing masks under any circumstance. I was hoping they would at least consider wearing them on the drivers stand and in the hot pits. Plus our pond is public and closely watched. We decided it just wasn't worth risking the health of our members or loosing the pond. I don't know that we would of had enough entries anyway...
    Thank you for your answers Mike.

I think the appropriate consideration would be that of the personal liability provider. In any case or scenario if someone was to blame their sickness on an event I would think it would possibly be them that would have quite a bit to say. Closed Members only Saw events could possibly be a way to get out and be productive within the sport. Although somewhat limited it might be a way for the die hard. Waivers could possibly be signed for granting access sponsors and technical advisors (back up men) to be present. I think that bodies will have to take serious group looks at how they operate events from here on. I think its quite clear that public health is certainly on the decline. Pre Covid people were nasty and didn't wash their hands after using the bathroom etc. So I kinda appreciate the public announcements and recommendations about it all. That's been needing to happen. At work I'm appalled quite often at observance of the practice of going to the bathroom and walking straight back out on the floor to touch HMI's community laptops etc. without a lick of soap or water. That's gross! I would not care what anyone said.Then you wanna have team pizza? No way....! We were raised by our mothers as kids that's a no brain-er. You wash your hands....Wow! Its instinctive for me Mike.

@ Ray I wont go any deeper on this extremely touchy tangent or photo posted after this, but I find it even more outrageous that there were large gatherings of protestors of wearing mask , social distancing, etc. long before the real tragedy that created the situation that would make social distancing nearly impossible to abide by. No matter what were all humans and sometime we allow ourselves to be guided by emotions, but there's also a word called foolish. When you do it because someone is trying to preserve your life that's that for sure. Here in NC on the coast the beaches open but then they are beaching the boats on the sand bars and the boats aren't even 6 feet apart while they socialize with zero mask. Now if you act ignorant and ignore the CDC then it is what it is. Then the simple solution again for those with personal concern has to be stay home because you see people just don't get it.

“We should always evaluate the risks and benefits of efforts to control the virus,” Jennifer Nuzzo, a Johns Hopkins epidemiologist, tweeted on Tuesday. “In this moment the public health risks of not protesting to demand an end to systemic racism greatly exceed the harms of the virus.”

Quite naturally this is the all inclusive medical fields take, so I guess it up for each individual to decide what's "essential" for them. Personally Im at the house working on boats wondering when I can take a SAW shot. I'm def not indifferent to whats happening but I realize I'm just one man with one opinion and my family needs me first before anything that might pop off in a peaceful protest. I think peaceful protest was denounced by several important people in politics and the business world some time ago when people were taking a knee in peaceful protest. It all seems quite ironic the whole "knee" thing and its tragic and terrible to watch. I guess this new knee made a much more powerful statement, so I certainly hope those same entities denounce "it" with the same zealousness as b4. What can you do with all this at this point Ray? I don't really wanna touch it. It's all bad and I hardly have a clue what to do with any of it or Covid but stay out the way and work on a fast boat.

Besides I thought the purpose of a 25 ft center console was to get out and anyway in the first place. This world doesn't even have real fishermen anymore I'd be on the AR markers and shipwrecks after gamefish. You have the cash to own the boat but hardly have a clue what to do with it. This is fisherman's blasphemy where Im from. After seeing this I'm truly done with society anyways now. LOL

Thanks for your answers.
    Ich Bin hier raus.
    Hubert
    Last edited by eXoNerated; 06-06-2020 at 08:25 AM.

Last edited by ray schrauwen; 06-06-2020 at 09:45 AM.
    Nortavlag Bulc

And so you see Ray they cannot run then because of this opinion. Do you realize that sweden chose not to wear mask and have more covid than any surrounding european country that did? How was that successful Ray? Is this the correct model for the sanctioning bodies? To wear the mask is to consider others. Not to mention we have higher risk elderly people running boats. What about them? Is Japan or Sweden running model boat races right now sanctioned? So we may have to pioneer legislation in the by laws that really works for everybody and keeps them safe. Safety is always first Ray. If one person contracts it then we all have a problem. Any Liability claims would certainly sink the bodies and places to run plus you could die....

Regards
    Hubert
    Last edited by eXoNerated; 06-06-2020 at 09:15 AM.

If we start to bring this to a political discussing it will not get us back on the water any faster which is what we all want. Your best chance to make a political statement is "Vote". enough said!
    As for masks you really wear one to mitigate your spreading airborne droplets, more a health conscious courtesy on your part. A medical grade like an N-95 will protect you individually. It is a percentage play much like I don't choose to attend an indoor arena or movie theater in the near future as that's more risk than I care to subject myself to. If it comes down to a mask on the drivers stand or hot pits even general pits I rather comply than stay home. For the time being just another safety issue like fencing, no swimming and no sandals.
    Mic

Mic Halbrehder
    IMPBA 8656
    NAMBA 1414

Oh my.
    Nortavlag Bulc

Quote Originally Posted by HTVboats View Post
    If we start to bring this to a political discussing it will not get us back on the water any faster which is what we all want. Your best chance to make a political statement is "Vote". enough said!
    As for masks you really wear one to mitigate your spreading airborne droplets, more a health conscious courtesy on your part. A medical grade like an N-95 will protect you individually. It is a percentage play much like I don't choose to attend an indoor arena or movie theater in the near future as that's more risk than I care to subject myself to. If it comes down to a mask on the drivers stand or hot pits even general pits I rather comply than stay home. For the time being just another safety issue like fencing, no swimming and no sandals.
    Mic
    +1
    Agreed
    I wont be posting any riot or protest photos to start one. But covid case numbers arent political they just are what they are. Sweden and its decision to not impose mask or really social distancing was hardly a good decision that's a fact by the infection numbers there as compared to the surrounding european coutries that did. So for me its clear they are no model to follow no matter what his or her politics are. I trust the data and numbers more than any politician and like Mic I can make positive outcomes for myself based solely on my own personal decisions based thereof. I wear a mask out and about for myself and others so likewise I'd rather wear one at an event than sit at home.

Technically this original post is also a political question in nature but it isnt the national political stage asked about its the politics of the sanctioning bodies as they will pertain to preventing covid 19 while being currently active in the sport. Please be mindful. It doesn't sound like there is a solution from the central administrators and each district is doing its own thing. Is that a fair assessment? I'm just curious as they are national bodies is there no instruction from the front offices how to handle Covid yet? There is def liability involved so it certainly sounds to me like there will have to be some centralized instruction based on just that. Each district has autonomy I suppose but they represent the bodies as a whole when it comes to liability or is that incorrect as well? Isnt the appropriate thing to do here is consult first with the liability claims provider before making any decisions? They will likely say no running for awhile but what is the right thing to do?

Regards
    Hubert
    Last edited by eXoNerated; 06-06-2020 at 10:26 AM.

Hi Mike,
    El Zorro ask me today through email was I coming to the Smithfield event to grab a turn fin bracket from him I inquired about. I assume you are having a race the 28th?

Thanks,
    Hubert

Got your email and responded but hadnt got anything back. Do you know if any EC SAW will take plce this year? If so when would it be?

Regards,
    Hubert

We raced yesterday. Just club racing though. Fun time was had by all.
    Noisy person

Hey Hubert, Sorry I don't log onto OSE as much as I used to and I missed your post. The Old Dominion Club did have a one day club race yesterday. We had about a dozen folks show up. Two from the Jacksonville area and one from Sanford. Social distancing was marginal. No one wore a mask.. It would of been tough in the heat. I had the only FE and ran with a novice racer gas just to get laps on my P-Lim Mono. Dick was unable to attend.

We havent had SAW Record Trials in Elizabeth City for four or five years now. We also used to run 2 Lap Ovals in Franklin, VA. The players that ran it are still around. I miss it. Hopefully, one of these days it will start back up. It was customarily held early spring (March/April) and late fall (November) so it wouldn't interfere with the district racing schedule and the Internal Combustion guys would have good air.

Thanks gentlemen,
    Wow so the action in my State continues to dwindle to even less. Somethings gotta happen about that if the sport is promoted. When I tried to get the club released and restarted here it was more issue with the individuals involved releasing the club so I said forget it. Julian Conde, Jim Allen , and I said wed all participate so we only needed two others to start the club but then we have no spot. The money was no issue because I was willing to pay everyones fees to get started. Someone just sits there with the club name and keys but does nothing to get it back on track. I dont get how we end up having only time trials hours away . It doesnt seem fair that no one seems to care about that and NC as a result just falls off the map never to return. I aint steal nobodys props. So why would I want to have no club here and have to drive to Alabama or nearly DC just to run my boat in speed trials because of it? People talk about whos competed but not all of us are going to load up a trailer and drive cross country to do it. These places are all several hours away and I just want run my boat through the traps and leave. I dont think ill drive multiple hours just to do that. Hopefully you can understand my point of view. To truly open the sport to everyone theres gotta be places they can go to compete near them not several hours away.

Regards
    Huberts
    Last edited by eXoNerated; 06-30-2020 at 06:55 AM.

We ran into that kind of thing with a new pond we were trying to use. There was ONE guy that belonged to club such n' such that knew the pond owner. Nobody else was allowed to even speak with the owner. It was a perfect site. Retired gravel pit, clean water, trees all around it, no public access, no homes around it. The other club had access locked up but put no effort to organized racing. We eventually gave up on it.

It's tough building a club. Numbers float. New guys come at about the same rate that others move on. It's an odd thing. Makes it harder if egos aren't kept in check. A glance in the mirror is required on occasion too. Myself included. Club racing has to be about the fun. Yeah, it's racing and all but if the locals aren't having fun above all they wont keep showing up. If it's all super intense high stress compete compete compete whispering and super secret props.......they're not coming back. Club racing is hella fun for us. Everybody gets along for the most part (98%?) and we laugh like little girls.

A handful of our club..lings are willing to load their crap up to get to a sanctioned event. Those are a ton of fun too. Maybe because I just race at those. I've come to realize that if I want events to travel to......I have to travel to events. Sounds stupid and self evident but I think we tend to forget. We look at the sign ups to decide if we're going to go. "Numbers are small......think I'll skip it this year". Someone else makes the same decision. That someone else might have gone if they saw YOU were going. Next year that club decides not to bother hosting an event at all. It was definitely part of our decision making process for the Cup this year. We saw low turnout last year and figured with Covid it would be dismal to nonexistent.

I'm off on a tangent here but to have nice events to attend we have to support those events the best we can. Those people may be able to reciprocate when you're ready to host an event. This is especially true for FE. There aren't many of us sparkies to begin with. If we don't hit the races offering FE it wont be offered in the future.
    Noisy person

Ok that makes sense. My thing is NC is indeed part of d12 so it should be of concern to help get at least one event here. Thats my thing T. One thing that cannot happen though is stealing people stuff . That has to stop. I'm paying my dues today so I can have ground to talk from. I want my concerns considered as I really get tired of "competition" metrics when discussing non related issues like physics. Its ridiculous T. I want to bring my boat to show i have every bit as much experience and good things to bring to the table as anyone with the coin to run all over the us behind the toy boats. Competing doesnt automatically give expert status. There's loser at the competitions too and they would be part of the inclusion as well. I never liked the politics and did goto races in OKC in the 90s but they ran my friend Kenneth Stone away with politics and he taught me how to build a quality scale boat 30 years ago. So I go with him. He and Curtis Samuel that use to run Andys goose are my friends. I haven't been to any meets since then and navigating through these forums and personalities is not so easy. If you simply correct someone the bottom usually falls out. That's difficult when you truly know things and are simply trying to help. Im tired of it all so I wanna bring the boat run it thru the traps and go home. No handshakes from the "intense haters" either T. I'm no idiot and know my boats can run well. Im not scared to have them judged by this metric of speed. And agree sometimes you need to put up what you sell on the forums. Im fine with this. I dont wanna be part of any clicks but I do want to be a member that can share like anyone else and have a voice in my district what I have found in 30 plus years from people that were back them some of the best. Kennys outboard sundowners were highly valued at one time in our community. Kennys older and less active now and what is sad is I dont know if anyone from boating even reaches out to him any more besides me. I was on my way to OKC last week and would have checked in on him but they had too much going on out there and I dont have time for all that foolishness. I ALSO DONT WANT COVID!!! With my luck they'd all get their wishes granted and id die.

Thanks for answers that made sense.
    Hubert

I haven't found FE guys to be too clicky. Well, I hope not.

That's where that glance in the mirror comes in handy to me:
    What do I want? Well.....more guys with toy boats.
    Am I helping with that?

That last question is way harder to answer. Need veteran boat guys. Need new guys. New guys need guidance. Vet guys need inspiration and good competition. New guy needs to be able to compete with vet guy. Can I get vet guy to help new guy? I can if I can get him on board with that first question. It's a bit of a balancing act.

Try not to get frustrated. Keep talking. Patience is hard when guys don't seem like they want to evolve. We can't force them. They have to be convinced.
    Noisy person

Dang you need to run for president TS that was an excellent answer and truly funny. All the underlying difficulties you pointed it out exactly how it can be sometimes. The thing about online help is if it ever gets proprietary why post it online in the first place when you know those questions will be asked. Go figure but this is what people like to do instead of keeping their secrets out the public eye. Its hard to self aggrandize and not tell all at the same time..... .

Anyway wheres your club and where do you guys run?

And about covid it isnt getting any better I'm afraid. I want to go fishing for Spanish mackerel but there's too many people at the beach during the 4th ignoring the recommendation from the experts. People do this with their life so I have no idea why I expect people to listen about their boats that they are extremely proud of. Im just stupid that way I guess. Im not good with people and dont how to approcah things like" i measure the efficiency of my boat by watching it with my eyes." If I ignore and just walk away That looks rude. If I correct the person im a dhead to them so how do you win here T? Some answers no matter how nice you say can be embarassing If you've already made a qualifying statement and its wrong. Its not the person with the right answer that set the person up for embarrassment it is the qualifying statement they made and were not absolutely sure that set them up. Maybe Im wrong but can you at least see my view?

Regards
    Hubert
    Last edited by eXoNerated; 06-30-2020 at 11:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by T.S.Davis View Post
    I haven't found FE guys to be too clicky. Well, I hope not.
    I'm still fairly new to the FE scene...and, from my experiences (so far), I will say that those I've met have been extremely open to new people, and have been (for the greatest part) very helpful. This goes for those I've met in-person, as well as online.

It's 'interesting'...when I was involved in RC helis years ago, the plane/heli crowd was fairly "clicky". Getting info was difficult...and, even then, your best bet on getting any info was only from those flying the same class. Ask 'outside' your class, and you'd probably get nothing. However, with ground RC (land-based, as well as water-based), people tend to be more friendly, and a lot more helpful. Using off-road as an example, from the beginning, quite a few people offered helpful info/tips...plus, the more I got involved, the more helpful people became.

I've only been involved in FE for 3 months (I've now got 5 boats, ranging from a 17" Atomik Barbwire 3, to a ProMarine Skater X2)...but, in that time, I've come across a few members of the local club, plus a former speed record holder from Las Vegas (was visiting family), and not a single one of them brushed me off. Same goes for online. Everyone's been as helpful as they could be. I've learned that, with some people (such as the owner of ProMarine), you can only ask one question at a time...if you ask more, you only get the answer to one...but in that, not once have I run into a situation where my question was "pushed aside".

Great hobby, with (mostly) great people supporting it. My only 'complaint' is that I didn't get involved sooner. I got my first RC...a gas-powered car...40 years ago. Looking back on it, I wish it had been a boat.

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place

Hi Panther

I know its many decent people in rc boating I realize that and that its all a two way street. I just hate that competition is held as some high metric when some of the best boaters chose to move away from competition. It was once said by a great man something like this.....You usually can spot a genius in room by the forming of a confederacy against him. This happens often and people just move away. Not worth it. No matter what it looks like if i want to show my work in person to others in IMPBA ill have to travel for hours...... one and thats not cool that my dues support racing in every other state than my own but were deemed International when were not even in all 50 states yet. In the meantime theres no record trial to run so how can i prove a thing other than posting my gps?. How can we set a world record and we dont even have a site that can support those speeds. So the USA is done in attempts for the fastest rc boat coz we dont have a track unless we fly to munich? WOW thats sad. And whos doing all that. That's way to deep for me and in today's world I wanna stay stateside right now.

Regards
    Hubert

Default Wave Blasters

We too had our first Sunday club race and meet-up couple of weekends ago on June 14th. It was the first time that we had gotten together
    since the pandemic started. We lease our pond for little cost from the county and had to have their approval and ok before we proceeded.
    They are very good to work with, but did want use to send them some Covid Rules that we would follow for their review. When you have to put pen to paper
    on these things it does make you think of so many details. Not sure if we got it right, but we started our club day off with a driver's meeting, handed out the
    covid rules, and amazingly nobody objected to the masks aspects. We also asked for a show of hands, who in the club are at risk or have family members
    living at home that are at risk. Actually about half of the 10 members in attendance raised their hands. Our attendance was a bit off, but we relaxed, kept all heats
    to 4 or less boats, had plenty of open water time and everyone said they enjoyed the day after all that time cooped up. We did bring spare masks and only had
    to hand 2 out to a father and son who stopped by to watch and wanted to hang with us for the day.
    Going to attach our Covid Rules here for comment. Be nice, but let us know if we seemed fair enough and cautious enough with all this uncertainty.
    Btw....enjoyed reading the other good comments here, as we really were wondering how everyone else is doing this.
    We also have updated our Club web-site, take a peek at it:
    www.WaveBlasters.org
    Thx,
    Ken
    Attached Files Attached Files
    TenShock Brushless / Pro Marine
    NEU Motors / Rico Racing/ Castle Creations
    2023 NAMBA & 2018 IMPBA FE High Points "National Champion"

@ Ken
    It sounds like you had a good time and are doing it right with protections in place. Im very happy you have sensibility in your club to conform to mask. Not wearing them in some political protest is insane. If people dont i cant come coz my parent who I see daily are 81 and 79 years old and dad just got out of the hospital with AN UPPER RESPITORY INFECTION about a month bfore covid. 4 sure I cannot let my guy get anywheer near this thing that was created on account of me. It just cant happen. So anyone beffing about the mask i cannot play with.

Where are you guys located Ken?

Quote Originally Posted by eXoNerated View Post
    Where are you guys located Ken?
    Ft Pierce, Florida...see our website if you have a few

WaveBlasters.org

Btw, can you see that Pdf attachment of the Covid Rules,
    or do I need to paste it onto a reply ?
    TenShock Brushless / Pro Marine
    NEU Motors / Rico Racing/ Castle Creations
    2023 NAMBA & 2018 IMPBA FE High Points "National Champion"

One way IMPBA might be able to expand the sport is through more education of the youth. If we want to build the body up right it should have diversity training as well for the kids as we are an international body. If we include children to teach them science and how to have rogerian debate that will help the atmoshpere of the sport in the furture and make it more inviting. We may be able to get some of the engineering universities involved and find really good water they will let us work with. Sound dumb probably but could something like that work? Im just curious and not complaining about all the responsibility on a few people hands. im sure they like assitance versus lesson on how to run it so I just want that clear for the record. The Germans have done something similar with their youth and the speed planes. We cant go back and redo things or fix broken bonds but we can start fresh an new over after the pandemic and try new things. It looks like adjustment is imminent anyway. I really love model boats and electric motors and joined the body to participate with anyone that would engage.

Regards
    Hubert

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast