Thread: Chargers brands

Default Chargers brands

I asked this on a local FB page but you guys are boat nerds. Thought I would as here too.

What's the new hotness charger wise?
    Noisy person

I'm such a huge fan of the Hyperion 720i Super Duo 3, I buy them used when I see good deals. I have 4 at my home charging station and another 4 in my mobile setup. Honestly, the only feature I don't have that interests me is the bump tag on the Revo cell lab. That's very cool. Other than that, IR readings, voltage readings to thousandths, multiple setup memories, and an extremely accurate balance circuit are why I like the Hyperion.

If I had to buy something new, I'd likely buy an iCharger duo model.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

I like these.https://www.isdt.co/hobby?lang=en

I bought 4- Q6 plus chargers at 300watts each when they were $40 on sale and put them in a box with a 24v 1500watt PS made from two server PS's.

I think Spectrum has their Smart version of same chargers or similar. https://www.spektrumrc.com/Search/De...mart%20charger
    Nortavlag Bulc

The ISDT chargers have been the bomb for a few years now. Tremendous capabilities in small inexpensive packages.

I am big fan of the smaller ISDT and iChargers for simple charging duties. For serious charging/discharging/cycling I really like the iCharger 4010/408/406 Duo's.
    Tyler Garrard
    NAMBA 639/IMPBA 20525
    T-Hydro @ 142.94mph former WR

Anything out there AC that's decent?

I have three hyperian and an iCharger already. Lost a Bulldog power supply last week. Could easily have burned my house down.
    Noisy person

Cool

I burned a 45 amp Bulldog supply down several years ago at a SAW event. It might have burned my table and boats down too......if your good buddy Wilmer(!) hadn?t spotted the smoke and flames. Most all my chargers now are either A/C only, or have the battery leads cut off.

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

AC chargers jsut have cheap DC power supplied built-in. What's the difference? I prefer to use a high quality, high output external DC power supply and DC chargers
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Quote Originally Posted by T.S.Davis View Post
    Anything out there AC that's decent?

I have three hyperian and an iCharger already. Lost a Bulldog power supply last week. Could easily have burned my house down.
    Take a look at the Hitec X2 & X4 chargers. I have an X2 AC Black Edition, which you'll be hard-pressed to find any bad reviews on. It used to be my 'primary', until I picked up an iCharger 406 Duo...now it's my 'backup'. Tho, I should mention that the iCharger is inside a PRC case, which also has a 12V output to connect the Hitec via DC. That way, if need be, I can simultaneously charge 4 batteries, two on each charger.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Not sure what it is about the Bulldog power supplies, but other commercially available power supplies from Lambda, MeanWell and HP are pretty reliable and safe when used correctly.
    I am not a fan of using 15+ year old used HP server supplies removed from service and repurposed for charger supplies. Too many hours and thermal cycles will lead to failures.
    Tyler Garrard
    NAMBA 639/IMPBA 20525
    T-Hydro @ 142.94mph former WR

Quote Originally Posted by RaceMechaniX View Post

Too many hours and thermal cycles will lead to failures.
    I honestly believe that's what happened to my 30 amp Bulldog. I've had it for 12 years and have used it a LOT over those years. I bought it used.

I was only considering built in power because I like the idea of having one less piece of the puzzle to drag around with me. One less thing to crew up. I'll look into those power supply brands Tyler. Thanks.
    Noisy person

Quote Originally Posted by RaceMechaniX View Post
    Not sure what it is about the Bulldog power supplies, but other commercially available power supplies from Lambda, MeanWell and HP are pretty reliable and safe when used correctly.
    I am not a fan of using 15+ year old used HP server supplies removed from service and repurposed for charger supplies. Too many hours and thermal cycles will lead to failures.
    Agreed. The 'problem' worth a lot of power supplies being sold as "new fors RC chargers" power supplies it's that they're actually used server power supplies. I had bought one, along with my iCharger 406 Duo, from my LHS. as soon as I realized it was actually a used server power supply, I returned it the following day, and then ordered a MeanWell from Progressive RC (along with the rest of the components I used for my charger case).

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Fluid View Post
    I burned a 45 amp Bulldog supply down several years ago at a SAW event. It might have burned my table and boats down too......if your good buddy Wilmer(!) hadn?t spotted the smoke and flames. Most all my chargers now are either A/C only, or have the battery leads cut off.

2008 NAMBA P-Mono & P-Offshore Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder; '15 P-Cat, P-Ltd Cat 2-Lap
    2009/2010 NAMBA P-Sport Hydro Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder, '13 SCSTA P-Ltd Cat High Points
    '11 NAMBA [P-Ltd] : Mono, Offshore, OPC, Sport Hydro; '06 LSO, '12,'13,'14 P Ltd Cat /Mono

I also gave up on RC specific power supplies after having 3 give up the ghost (flame free) in a 5 year span after stopping using a battery at home, I now have a Meanwell built into a charging case and it has outlasted all of the hobbygrade ones I had put together, I think it is 8 or 9 years old now. They are well reviewed but time will tell, maybe it will give up the ghost next time I charge, whenever that is.

The last charger I bought was a cheap hobbyking rebranded touchscreen unit, It had a level of bad reviews higher than I would like, so although my personal one has been great and owes me nothing, I wouldn't recommend that particular model. I can however say for sure that I won't ever buy a charger with buttons again, the ease of use from the touchscreen and the data that it can display without having to scroll through dot matrix screens is a game changer for me.
    Paul Upton-Taylor, Greased Weasel Racing.

Love my Revolectrix gt1200's. 40A parallel charging all day long from HP Proliant PS 800w in series (25.6V at 62A x2). Plus 80W discharge. I can take 12 batteries from storage to full charge in about 25 mins with this setup running full tilt.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I did order a 1200 watt power supply. Haven't seen it yet but it's out there somewhere.
    Noisy person

I just picked up 2 Icharger X6’s I haven’t had a chance to them yet. I also picked up RL power 85amp power supply.

I had a Protek 610 quad charger. It was ac/dc but only when up 10amp charge. No problems out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by eric113 View Post
    I just picked up 2 Icharger X6?s I haven?t had a chance to them yet. I also picked up RL 85amp power supply.
    Haven't used an X6...but, I do have the 406 Duo, and it's outstanding. iCharger might be 'expensive', but you do get what you pay for.

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place

Quote Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
    iCharger might be 'expensive', but you do get what you pay for.
    We like ours too. I just thought maybe there was new revelation that we were missing. I invested in 4 Hyperian Duo years ago. Gave one away to a guy in need. Super pricey at the time but I've been using them for eons. The iCharger is the only charger I've added in maybe 10 years or so.
    Noisy person