Thread: advance charging

Default advance charging

Have 12 new batteries (4-2s,4-3s,2-4s and 2-6s) all have been discharged, balanced, charged twice back to storage (nothing better to do being locked down) and are in storage mode (3.8v) at the moment.

Anyways, things are opening up with the (covis-10 lock down here) and plan on possibly running boats this weekend. I have 2 chargers so it takes time to charge them all up. Wondering how far in advance can you charge the batteries up without any problems?

Been doing a search on this but must be using wrong wordage of what I'm looking for.

Thanks for any info and your input,

John

With LiPos, the general "time of thumb" is no earlier than the day before. The best way is to charge them in the morning, for same-day use, or the night before. However, if, for example, you charge Monday morning, while it's best to use them on Monday, just be sure to use them by Tuesday night.

With my land vehicles, I will (on rare occasions) play a lil 'loose' with that. Let's say I charge them Monday night, intending to use them on Tuesday. If, for whatever reason, I'm unable to use them Tuesday, as long as I use them by Wednesday afternoon, I feel safe. However...if, come Wednesday afternoon, I realize I won't be using them, then I immediately set about putting them back into storage mode.

Not that this is related to your question...just adding it for additional 'info'...but, I've programmed my charger's "storage mode" to be 3.78V/cell, as opposed to the usual 3.8V/cell. While most are preset to 3.8V/cell, anything between 3.75 & 3.8V/cell is considered 'acceptable'.

~ More peace, love, laughter & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place

Yea,
    My chargers are set to 3.8v/cell for storage.
    Plan on running on Monday, so will start charging on Sunday (not much of anything else to do)

"More peace, love, laughter & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place"
    I believe in your statement and do all that I can to follow this myself

Thanks for your input,
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Johnc View Post
    Have 12 new batteries (4-2s,4-3s,2-4s and 2-6s) all have been discharged, balanced, charged twice back to storage (nothing better to do being locked down) and are in storage mode (3.8v) at the moment.

Anyways, things are opening up with the (covis-10 lock down here) and plan on possibly running boats this weekend. I have 2 chargers so it takes time to charge them all up. Wondering how far in advance can you charge the batteries up without any problems?

Been doing a search on this but must be using wrong wordage of what I'm looking for.

Thanks for any info and your input,

John
    I usually charge the night before or bring my equipment and charge at the lake..
    some of these lipos don't like holding full charge for more than 48hrs, after this time the chemistry can be damaged while sitting, capacity begins to be lost..
    Storage charge is between 3.80-3.85v per cell so leaving yours at the lower end is always a good thing..
    .NAMBA20...Caterpillar UL-1, P-Spec OM29, P-Mono DF33, P-Spec JAE, Aussie 33" Hydro-LSH, Sprintcat CC2028 on 8s, PT SS45 Q Hydro, PS295 UL-1 power, OSE Brothers Outlaw QMono 4-sale, Rio 51z CC2028 on 8s