Thread: Pros and cons going from gas to electric

Default Pros and cons going from gas to electric

I was wondering what are the pros and cons converting from gas to electric systems? I currently have several hulls that are designed for gas motors which I already have. They range in size from about 46" to 57" hulls, deep V, hydroplane, tunnel and a catamaran. The options I see are, keep what I have and run the gas, convert the gas ones to electric and sell my gas motors, or sell it all and buy electric boats already like a proboat or something.

I was thinking about this for the noise factor and also the maintenance issues. From what I have seen so far gas appears to be cheaper to operate and purchase but I don't know much about the electric side. I am located in Canada if that makes a difference.

Any ideas or thoughts would be appreciated.

I think the real question is do you want to convert them? Which can be fun in it's self . And Can you afford to convert them? The size boats you're talking about the motors and ESC's and batteries aren't going to be cheap. Batteries alone you're talking 8's and up for the size boats you have. Others will chime in I'm sure with more knowledge than I have . I'm building my first FE 1/8 scale hydro and it ain't cheap. LOL But then again I don't care. Just do it.

One of the best part of electric is that it opens more doors for where you can run and not bother anyone. Electric is MUCH more quiet and allowed more so than gas boats.

Agree with 1coopgt ,

Cost of motors ESC and Batteries will be the factor, if you can sell your Gas motors that will help recoup the cost. The other con, is your hull, normal Gas Hulls have holes cut all through them and a canopy that usually doesn't completly cover the hull soyou will need a new canopy or figure out some other way of sealing the hull.

Con Run time, If your racing then you are talking 3-4 mins, if your just running around in the pond and not making high speed passes maybe 6-8 mins.

Once you get a few batteries you can swap them from Hull to Hull especially since you will be running 4000-6000 MAH batteries 4-6S. Might be easier to sell your gas and buy new Hulls,

Con most of your Gas props are not going to be able to run on electric. Electric props are smaller because they turn a lot more RPMS - 28K-50K

Thanks for the info guys. A lot to think about. I might just sell what I have and buy smaller electric boats. Let me know if you think of anything else!

Also, keep in mind the smaller boats will not handle rough water that you are used to with the larger hulls. Just something to think about if you run in larger lakes.

Thanks for the feedback guys!