Thread: Esc was replace now seems slower

Default Esc was replace now seems slower

Hello so just replace the esc in my boat and now it seems slower. I didn?t change anything else, same battery?s motor and prop. Re calibrated the radio many times with no prevail. My old esc was a dynamite 120a esc and nothing was wrong with it yet but I swapped it out for a raider 150a esc for better efficiency and reliability.
    Boat proboat ul19
    Motor dynamite 2000kv witch I believe is a d wind
    Battery?s 2x2s in parallel. 5000mah 50c
    Same stock prop
    New esc raider 150a

During the install the timing Was set it at 7.5 from the 15 degrees and also I added new connections to the esc. I did remove the 6mm connector and install a ec5 for the time being till I can get better connectors. Then I took it my local lake for the first test run and found it to run slower. I didn?t have a speed gauge just from the sight and sound. Before there was a high pitch sound during wot. Now it seemed less. When I came back to shore after a few passes to check the system out I noticed the battery?s were warmer then normal and the battery to esc connections were warm and esc also the bullet connections to motor.
    To add during install I added new esc connections and butler connections at the motor and I ran out of my solder so left and pick some up. At that moment only kind I can find was the silver solder style for electronics. Not the 60/40 kind. When I did solder the connects I will admit they were bad. Problems getting the solder to tin into the wire leaving exaposed strands of wire to connections. I was also trying to do all this late at night trying to make the next day for testing as it?s the only good day of the week. Next week it?s all rain and windy. After my test run and what I have noticed I did redo all the connections of solder with 60/40. This time around the solder flowed into the wires and the connectors. Then last I reset the timing to 0 seeing if that helps too. So only theory I can think of is The poor Solder job and having high resistance. Right now the weather is really windy and raining so I can?t go out and retest it. So it?s driving me nuts and maybe someone can shed some light on the subject. Thanks

(Battery?s 2x2s in parallel. 5000mah 50c )

I hope NOT-. Should be 2X2S in Series. to make a 4s pack.

Larry
    Past NAMBA- P Mono -1 Mile Race Record holder
    Past NAMBA- P Sport -1 Mile Race Record holder
    Bump & Grind Racing Props -We Like Em Smooth & Wet

Oops. , typo two 2s lipos ran in Series. For total 4s. Lol.

Sounds like you know your way around but, I always ask, did you calibrate the throttle?
    Nortavlag Bulc

Yes I did calibrate the throttle. End points on radio set to 100% and esc calibrate.

What radio may I ask? So far everything sounds just fine.
    Nortavlag Bulc

How about Low Voltage Cutoff setting on ESC?
    Nortavlag Bulc

radio I'm running is the spectrum dx5c
    low voltage cut off is set to 3.4v I believe I didn't change that setting from the preset from the factory. low voltage did cut off at the end of my run time and reduced speed to 50% like normal. the weather did break today with a minor mist of rain and I was able to get out again to test again. This time around the speed from an view point seemed better and seemed like and better run. my new tweeks I did was cut off the battery connections and the bullet connections and re soldered all the connections with a 60/40 solder vrs a silver solder and re set the timing to 0 degrees.

You might try going back to 7.5* timing. I believe I recall Rafael Lopez posting that's what the manufacturer recommended.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

I can give it a try and see what happens switching it back to 7.5 . I've started to look into data loggers for reasons like this so I can have real numbers instead of the finger and eyes numbers lol.

Why did you replace the esc? Did the old one die? If so it may have caused damage to the motor which could be the problem. Just one possible issue.
    NZMPBA 2013, 2016 Open Electric Champion. NZMPBA 2016 P Offshore Champion.
    2016 SUHA Q Sport Hydro Hi Points Champion.
    BOPMPBC Open Mono, Open Electric Champion.

The old esc still works just fine. I replaced it for reliability concerns. I wanted something better that can handle my needs. I was going for circle running most of the time wide open. I did re test the boat again setting the timing back to 7.5 from 0 and it seemed a little faster. Hitting 34mph on 4s but now having a problem with battery’s getting hot and expanding some. ( bloating ).

Well after much reading and learning I did know there should be a gap between the drive dog and strut and the past few times I have been setting it flush with the strut. Almost every run I’ll pull the flex shaft out and re grease it. Lol there so much when it comes to learning about boating. Another possibility od the flex cable loading up and binding against the strut as there’s no gap.