Thread: Unwinding a Dynamite 3831 2000 kv

Default Unwinding a Dynamite 3831 2000 kv

DSC_0001.jpgDSC_0002.jpgDSC_0003.jpgDSC_0004.jpgDSC_0005.jpg

I'll come back later and edit to add some text as to what and why I'm doing this. It's beer thirty and I have to cook dinner. MMMMMMM beef ribs

First one I did I butchered.

Second un-wind I took my time. Clipped all the wires on one end. Seemed to help if I took the time to stand all the clipped wires on the one end up like the hair on a troll doll.
    Noisy person

Wow. I'm pretty amazed.

How to tear apart a new motor, carefully with the right tools.

Lucky I have lots of toasted motors to practice on some day.

Approx. how long does it take with the torch before the glue lets go? I might start on a 4092 Leo here.

Looks like fun, with the right tools that is...

I'd be right on this if I was at my apartment in my shop. No shop here at Wendy's place At least I can do builds here but not stuff needing torches and heavy tools.
    Nortavlag Bulc

Ray,

I put the motor in the press and hold a little pressure on the handle, then start heating. Soon as it gets to the point of the glue letting go, the handle will start moving. So the answer is "long enough"

Some motors take 2 seconds of heat and just fall apart, and some you have to heat for a while till ever last mm of stator is clear of the case. It all depends on how much glue is in there.

Ray,

It's surprising at how many "GOOD" motors I get to be rewound. Actually more good ones than burned up ones!

Quote Originally Posted by donhuff View Post
    Ray,

I put the motor in the press and hold a little pressure on the handle, then start heating. Soon as it gets to the point of the glue letting go, the handle will start moving. So the answer is "long enough"

Some motors take 2 seconds of heat and just fall apart, and some you have to heat for a while till ever last mm of stator is clear of the case. It all depends on how much glue is in there.
    Thank you.

Most of the bad AQ gold motors I have the rotors also went bad in a melt down. I do have an 1800kv one where the windings just started going so I'll use that to guinea pig on. I'm not going back to my apt for about 4 weeks and I can't start this tinkering until then.
    Nortavlag Bulc

How do you know that the rotors are bad?

In all the motors that I have taken apart, I have had only one where it got hot enough to degrade the magnets enough, that I could tell that they were weak. I have had some with physically damaged magnets. Broken, gouged, or coming unglued from the rotor.

Word to the wise. That stator comes out of there hotter than hell and it holds the heat with all that copper.
    Noisy person

Ray,

It's surprising at how many "GOOD" motors I get to be rewound. Actually more good ones than burned up ones!
    Hey Don,
    Just curious. Do you have any idea how many of your motors are out there?
    MODEL BOAT RACER
    IMPBA President
    District 13 Director 2011- present
    IMPBA National Records Director 2009-2019
    IMPBA 19887L CD
    NAMBA 1169

How do you know that the rotors are bad?

In all the motors that I have taken apart, I have had only one where it got hot enough to degrade the magnets enough, that I could tell that they were weak. I have had some with physically damaged magnets. Broken, gouged, or coming unglued from the rotor.
    A couple have the magnets coming loose fromthe glue. Some partially expanded. We'll see in a few weeks what I have for spare parts.

I just figured if I cooked the windings bad enough, the rotor wasn't far off from death.
    Nortavlag Bulc

That magnetic sheet would come in handy for checking that I suppose.
    Nortavlag Bulc

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Smock View Post
    Hey Don,
    Just curious. Do you have any idea how many of your motors are out there?
    No Doug, I have no idea.

Quote Originally Posted by ray schrauwen View Post
    A couple have the magnets coming loose fromthe glue. Some partially expanded. We'll see in a few weeks what I have for spare parts.

I just figured if I cooked the windings bad enough, the rotor wasn't far off from death.
    With the cheep chinese motors, there is such a small amount of wire that it burns up pretty easily, and usually wont hurt the motor. Not so with the good motors, more wire and better insulation, means more heat and a better chance of hurting the magnets.

Quote Originally Posted by ray schrauwen View Post
    That magnetic sheet would come in handy for checking that I suppose.
    That sheet doesn't have a Good, so so, and Throw it away , scale on it .

I don't know if it's good enough to tell you anything about the quality of a magnet.