Thread: ProMarine RC - Good or Bad...and, are they even still in business?

Default ProMarine RC - Good or Bad...and, are they even still in business?

GREATLY entire my ProBoat SonicWake...but also looking for my second boat. The SonicWake is a fantastic boat to learn on, but, for my second FE, I still want a V, but looking for an RTR/ARTR that is competitive.

The TFL Pursuit is still a top contender, but I also discovered the ProMarine RC Phantom SV33 & SV33 X2. Is this a good boat? Is the hull quality good? Is the SV33/SV33 X2 equal to, better than, or worse that the TFL Pursuit?

Unfortunately, there's another 'problem'. In looking over the ProMarine website, not only are the two SV33 models "out of stock", just about EVERY boat on their website is, which leads me to wonder if ProMarine is actually still in business. Best I can tell, based on the website's copyright, the site hasn't been updated since 2018. Because of this, I sent them an email...and, no reply came. Taking things to the next 'level', I tried calling (multiple times, at different times during the day, over a 2-day period), and every time, it went straight to voicemail. When all of this is taken into consideration, it's making it appear as if ProMarine has folded.

Does anytime know the status of ProMarine...and, if so, maybe you know why they're "out of stock" on just about every boat.

~ More peace, love, laughter & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place

I ordered parts for my SV33 on a Friday 2 weeks ago and they shipped the following Monday.

Quote Originally Posted by Rlimits View Post
    I ordered parts for my SV33 on a Friday 2 weeks ago and they shipped the following Monday.
    Understood, and thank you. That, at least, lets me know their still in business...a although, at the same time, that could just be them shipping leftover pasta that they still had in stock. In not saying that such 'is' the case...only one possibility of many.

While you receiving a few parts might indicate the possibility that they're still operating at some level, that didn't answer y other questions, sick as the build quality (especially of the hull), why they are out-of-stock of almost everything, and how the SV33/SV33 X2 compares to the TFL Pursuit. Can you provide that info?

~ More peace, love, laughter & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place

Sorry I can't help you on the other question.

He actual made me a new flex shaft for the SV33 over the weekend that was why it took till Monday for it to ship.

Good luck with your quest. On a side note I do have NIB all white single Skater that i'm going to sell in the near future.

you know it could be possible they have greatly reduced hours due to local and federal COVID restrictions, and maybe they cannot currently manufacture stuff?

I had posted the same inquiry in the RC Groups forum, and someone posted about an RC shop in Indianapolis where the owner of the shop is close friends with Mike (owner of ProMarine RC). To use his words, this shop supposedly has "crazy stock" of ProMarine...so, I just called them. I was told they haven't had a ProMarine boat in over a year.

He also told me that they talked to Mike just a few days ago (thus, ProMarine is, essentially, still "in business"). According to what Mike told them, he said it's impossible for him to get anything in right now, and he has no clue of when, if at all, hell be able to get more hulls (thus, ProMarine is, in-effect, "temporarily out-of-business").

Guess that means I'll probably have to eliminate ProMarine from contention. Obviously, I'm not happy about that, as it currently leaves only the TFL Pursuit. Knowing that, canyone can suggest other ARTR/RTR boats of similar size, similar (or better) hull quality, similar (or better) quality components, etc, etc, etc. Although I will, eventually, get a cat, I'd like to stick with a V for now.

Requirements - ARTR/RTR (preferably ARTR), V hull, approx 32-33" hull, no plastic hulls (ie. Traxxas, ProBoat, etc...looking for fiberglass, CF, carbon-Kevlar), and, most importantly, something that is race-capable (obviously, my SonicWake is not for racing).

Sorry I can't help you on the other question.

He actual made me a new flex shaft for the SV33 over the weekend that was why it took till Monday for it to ship.

Good luck with your quest. On a side note I do have NIB all white single Skater that i'm going to sell in the near future.
    Glad you were able to get a flex cable for it...which brings up another matter - replacement parts. While those who personally know Mike, or have some other "connection" to him, can easily (or fairly easily) get replacement parts, what does that mean for everyone else? For the 'average' person, how easy will it be to obtain replacement parts?

As for the Skater, I gotta admit...it is a gorgeous cat. Is it the 'standard', or X2? Depending on "how far in the future", and how much, I could see it as a possibility...although, at the same time, there's that whole 'replacement parts' matter'. Of course, in regards to the "generic" parts (rudder, prop(s), turn fins, etc), those could probably be ordered through Steve. As for the flex cables, that's where I wonder.

i had contacted them maybe 2 months ago . Michael the owner did get back to me and said due to the recent outbreak he is having a hard time getting hulls shipped out of china ,yes even promarine hulls are made there but to higher standards .
    he also said he was in florida dealing with some stuff but would be back in a couple weeks . i have not reached out since . they are very much still in business but it has always been hard to get a boat from them .soon as stock comes in they are gone . good luck .keep us updated
    volantex vector pro ,proboat veles 29 , traxxas spartan, hobbyking/tfl pursuit ,ft009 with rescue rigging

My Brother actually just bought a MTR from Mike, 2 weeks ago. He had been texting him for days prior. From what my brother had told me, Mike has been busy looking for a new US Hull manufacturer. I think currently they are manufactured in Germany.

Quote Originally Posted by Nemesis17592 View Post
    My Brother actually just bought a MTR from Mike, 2 weeks ago. He had been texting him for days prior. From what my brother had told me, Mike has been busy looking for a new US Hull manufacturer. I think currently they are manufactured in Germany.
    I wouldn't know where the hulls are manufactured...but, according to some in another forum, at least some (possibly all) of the hulls are manufactured in the same factory that produces the TFL hulls. This is not intended to mean they're better than, worse than, or the same as, TFL hulls, as nothing was said about them being the exact same hulls...just that they're (supposedly) made in the same factory.

ProMarine hulls are made in China to Mike's specifications. That would be great if he could find an affordable US manufacturer.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

You could ask someone to build a nice M34 Raider for you. In the long run you might be happier.
    Nortavlag Bulc

Quote Originally Posted by ray schrauwen View Post
    You could ask someone to build a nice M34 Raider for you. In the long run you might be happier.
    Now, that's an idea I have thought of...THANK you. I checked out some of the videos, and...I like, I REALLY like. So, this raises two important questions:

1) Which would be suggested/recommended, fiberglass or CF?
    2) Would it be better to have Steve build it (if he's building for customers), or would I be better off finding someone local (although, not sure if there's anyone in the San Jose area building)? Although final cost is important (I'm not exactly "rich", closer to "somewhat poor"), I don't mind paying a lil extra for quality work.

While I'm waiting for a reply to those two wires, I'm going to type up an email Steve, to see about getting a quote...will hold off on sending until answers to those questions appear. Thank you, GREATLY, for that suggestion.

Talked with Mike from ProMarine RC. Said he is “working on getting his supply chain going again”. So probably a year or more is my best guess.
    Been Smashing RC Throttles since 1997

Got some good news. Thanks to someone in the OSE or RC Groups forums (honestly, I can't remember who, or which forum ..wish I could, as I'd REALLY like to thank him/her), I was led to a shop without an online presence, in another state, that happened to have that ProMarine boats in-stock (they had three, but the person who discovered this, and reported the findings to the thread, purchased one of them).

The shop had a blue Phantom SV33 X2, and a yellow Skater X2. Well...now they only have the Phantom, as the Skater is mine. I haven't gone to FedEx, yet, to pick up the package, as I'm currently out of town...but, I will have it in-hand two days from now. I also received an email from Mike, briefly explaining the "problem" he's had getting hulls in, and his search for a US-based hull manufacturer.

Anyway, glad to have mine...thank you to all who provided info, in this forum, as well as the other.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
    Got some good news. Thanks to someone in the OSE or RC Groups forums (honestly, I can't remember who, or which forum ..wish I could, as I'd REALLY like to thank him/her), I was led to a shop without an online presence, in another state, that happened to have that ProMarine boats in-stock (they had three, but the person who discovered this, and reported the findings to the thread, purchased one of them).

The shop had a blue Phantom SV33 X2, and a yellow Skater X2. Well...now they only have the Phantom, as the Skater is mine. I haven't gone to FedEx, yet, to pick up the package, as I'm currently out of town...but, I will have it in-hand two days from now. I also received an email from Mike, briefly explaining the "problem" he's had getting hulls in, and his search for a US-based hull manufacturer.

Anyway, glad to have mine...thank you to all who provided info, in this forum, as well as the other.

Did you get it from Schaefers Hobby in MO that is where I found the single and they had a X2. If so that was most likely me.

Did you get it from Schaefers Hobby in MO that is where I found the single and they had a X2. If so that was most likely me.
    Bingo...thank you. Initially, there was some "confusion", as two different sales people have me conflicting info on what, specifically, they had. One said the SV33 was the single-motor version, while the other said it was an X2. I just now think I figured why. I'm thinking they might have accidentally put your single-motor boat in the X2's box, which would explain why the remaining box indicates it's the single-motor version, yet, what they actually have is the X2. Anyway, I wish you would have purchased the X2, as I would have probably purchased both the Skater X2, and single-motor SV33. Oh well...such is life...lol. Enjoy it, and take good care of it.

Getting back to Schaefer's, I was also misinformed about the possibility of delivery. By that time, I was dealing with the second sales person. Once he confirmed that the Phantom they had was the X2, I'd decided to only get the Skater X2. The shipping cost he quoted was correct, and he set it aside, with my name on it, until I could call the following day to pay for it... unfortunately, when I called, the person from the previous day hadn't come in yet, and I ended up speaking with a third sales person, who said shipping was no longer done on large and/or expensive items, which he confirmed by (supposedly) asking Art. When I asked to speak with Art, he, essentially, refused. Thankfully, before this point, I was smart enough to have asked the owner's name.

To make a long story shorter, I hung up, called back (a nice female answered), and asked to speak with Art. From that point, I only deal directly with Art. I told him I understood his reasoning (they had experienced multiple counts of CC fraud) behind changing there shipping policy, and came up work a solution I felt he might be willing to accept - sending a cashier's check from the bank, then receiving it, depositing it, and waiting until the funds cleared before shipping the boat. He accepted...and, he even continued providing updates, via email, through the point of shipping.

Art was pleasant to deal with, and, given the opportunity, if I'm ever in St. Louis, I will gladly thank him personally. I don't know whether, or not, you personally know him...but, if you do, fall free to tell him the person who bought the Skater X2 said "Thank you", once again. To you, I also say "Thank you", again.

Glad you manage to get one. Just don't ship USPS unless your in no rush.

I bought the single Skater (all White)that thought i was going to keep but will sell in a few weeks.

Glad you manage to get one. Just don't ship USPS unless your in no rush.

I bought the single Skater (all White)that thought i was going to keep but will sell in a few weeks.
    Ah. Not sure why, but I thought you had gotten a single motor Phantom SV33...my bad. Just curious, but why you going to sell it? Eespecially after just having bought it?

Bought it because I could not find them (it still in the box). I have 2 skaters and a SV33 already, so don't think i need 3. Going to take that money and put it toward one of the other boats I have to build.