Thread: Shortening wire leads on esc question

Default Shortening wire leads on esc question

Hi all recently re-configured the radio box on my p-spec tunnel hull by building a esc box on top of the existing radio box in order to be able to move my lipo back towards the stern to achieve proper c.o.g. and also with the new location of the Seaking 120 amp V2 esc i was able to cut out 12'' of wire on the 3 leads on the motor side of the esc . Would this inprove run time or add to speed or both ! Regards Andris Golts.

I've been told that shortening the motor wires is not as beneficial as shortening the battery and power leads. The reduction in resistance on the motor side is very minor and longer wires can actually help in some cases. Shortening battery wires does more to reduce inductance, which is bad for the ESC.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Shortening the leads is always beneficial, but more so in high power models.
    Shorter and lower resistance battery leads are more sensitive to the ESC for ripple voltage and DC bus stability.
    Short motor phase wires reduce the inductance loop and phase resistance which makes the system more efficient.
    Don't forget about using good connectors too. A poor connector will negate the best wire.

For a P-spec system there will not likely be a noticeable power or runtime difference, but the system should run a little cooler. Cooler is always a plus.
    Tyler Garrard
    NAMBA 639/IMPBA 20525
    T-Hydro @ 142.94mph former WR

Quote Originally Posted by RaceMechaniX View Post
    For a P-spec system there will not likely be a noticeable power or runtime difference, but the system should run a little cooler. Cooler is always a plus.
    Yes! Exactly what I've observed in my modestly powered systems where I was able to reduce wire lengths before and after.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Have you ran the boat yet to confirm the CG setting??

I would do this first, also check it in different water conditions, before you cut the wires. It's a pain to try and make them longer afterwards.

Larry
    Past NAMBA- P Mono -1 Mile Race Record holder
    Past NAMBA- P Sport -1 Mile Race Record holder
    Bump & Grind Racing Props -We Like Em Smooth & Wet