Thread: Blowing a Flyciolor 150

Default Blowing a Flyciolor 150

I have been doing a lot of testing with Flycolor 150's and 40X74 motors on 6S. (our local Q limited class). I write this as I have fielded several questions on KV. Using 1400-1600 kv I see amps from 120 to 150amps and speeds from 52-74mph from monos to hydros. without failure. Today I tested a 1515 1Y 2200kv on a Vision tunnel with a 1614/3 ABC prop. Well it was fast but not low enough in diameter or pitch to make a 1 mile run. Went into overheat failsafe and I was having too much fun and pushed it. It quit and is not going to heal. I have told numerous people who are going very fast jumping 4S setups to 6S it may not be the best idea and high kv and rpms severely limit props.
    This does in no way is an indictment on the Flycolor 150 as it is a very good controller but has limit. I must have 8 of them that are doing very well. Every time I see people just jumping up on cells I know it is not a good idea.
    tracking 1.JPG
    Been building and testing in my back yard while staying at home. Kind of my normal self isolation anyway.
    Mic

Mic Halbrehder
    IMPBA 8656
    NAMBA 1414

Cool

This is not surprising at all, it is possible to blow any ESC by over-amping and/or running for too long. The latter is what happened here, that setup is safe for a few SAW passes, not for running an oval race. I set several SAW records with a very similar setup, but never made more than three passes. Logging showed I was pulling well over 200 amps. Propping down would have helped a lot.
    ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

as an FYI, my first flygolor 150 popped the BEC circuit on 6s, but if you hooked up an external battery still functioned fine... may be the same issue?

Correct you can exceed limits. In this case a couple of laps and I would have been fine. I was pushing limits too see if I could make 6 laps. (paid the price)
    The ESC is unresponsive but plugging it in the BEC powers the steering servo. (go figure) I do have one FC150 that the BEC is gone but it works fine with an external. Maybe the BEC is marginal on 6S setups? Very easy fix though.
    Mic

Mic Halbrehder
    IMPBA 8656
    NAMBA 1414