Thread: New lipo maintance question.

Default New lipo maintance question.

Hi all purchased 2 new 4s 5000 mah 50c lipos what are the proper charging and maintance procedures to ensure powerfull operation and long life from lipo batteries . Rergards Andris Golts.

Everyone has their own break-in procedures ranging from gentle to harsh, and swears by them. It's kinda the same with breaking in new engines in motorcycles and cars, you'll find a full spektrum of options. I've read about breaking down storage chemicals inside the lipo is needed with cycling, and I've also read from trusted experts there's no such thing.

My process is more about quality control than any special magic. The first thing I do with new batteries is get them on a balance charger as soon as they are delivered and get them to storage voltage levels, ~3.8V. While doing that, I note the balance the pack was shipped to me at, if any cells were dangerously low or high, and monitor them throughout my break-in cycle. Then, when I have the time, I balance charge my new packs at 1C, (I normally charge my used packs at 1.5C, sometimes 2C if I'm in a hurry) and check the IR readings on the cells when they're done. Discharge to 3.8, noting how well cell balance is maintained, and charge again at 1C, again checking IR readings when complete. I make sure IR readings are all reasonably close across cells and within a range of what I'm used to seeing for a particular brand of battery. I bring them back down to storage and if all cells are able to balance within 0.005-0.003V of one another, they're ready for use. Finally, I number my packs with a sharpie and put the year they went into service just to keep some order in the inventory.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

I’ve always stored them like a worthless piece of garbage but here lately I’ve been treating them better. I have a 7 year old pair of Turnigy 8000mah 6s that have been stored with over 4 volts a cell for years on end and only recently started to use them . They have seen over 10 full cycles in the last month but before that only used them maybe 10 times. They are doing pretty good !
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius - and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction."
    --Albert Einstein

When Lipo batteries are stored fully charged, they will begin to loose storage capacity over time, i.e. fewer mAh. It can also stress the electrolyte which causes the cells to puff.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

When I get new batteries, the first thing I do is cycle them at 1C, first fully charging, them discharging, and then charging again to 'storage'. "Storage" is best at 3.75-3.8A/cell. While most chargers having a 'storage' mode are preset to 3.8A/cell, I've set mine to 3.78A/cell.

When it comes to charging for actual usage, if I need to charge quickly, I NEVER exceed 2C. My 'normal' charging is at 1.5C, and, when charging in advance for competition, I charge at 1C.

Finally, in regards to storing batteries, you have, essentially, three choices - leave them laying around, storing them in one of the expensive battery storage boxes targeted at the RC crowd, or storing them something far less costly but equally effective. I chose the third option, storing my batteries in .50 caliber ammo boxes, which you can pick up at almost any Harbor Freight Tools for approx $10.

~ More peace, love, laughter & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place

Quote Originally Posted by fweasel View Post
    When Lipo batteries are stored fully charged, they will begin to loose storage capacity over time, i.e. fewer mAh. It can also stress the electrolyte which causes the cells to puff.
    Yep , I finally lost my 8000mah 4s after many abuses. It actually took extreme negligence on my part lol
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius - and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction."
    --Albert Einstein

Ammo boxes are a cheap, accessible idea for storage, but you should remove the lid seal if there is one, and drill holes.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Quote Originally Posted by fweasel View Post
    Ammo boxes are a cheap, accessible idea for storage, but you should remove the lid seal if there is one, and drill holes.
    Holes, I know about...but, because of the holes, figured the seal could remain. Besides. Workout the seal, the latch is useless.

~ More peace, love, laughter & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place

I have a big giant ammo box, I should start selling batteries.
    0EFE954A-C400-40EA-ABE2-4E87B42542E7.jpg
    --Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by rearwheelin View Post
    I have a big giant ammo box, I should start selling batteries.
    0EFE954A-C400-40EA-ABE2-4E87B42542E7.jpg
    4th of July is at your house this year...lol