Thread: Esc Recommendations

Default Esc Recommendations

Hello there. Im new to the site and new to boating. Ive been the hobby for many years of racing 1/10 cars on local tracks. A friend of mine convinced me to getting a boat with him so we can run together on his lake. He professionally races hydroplanes and thought it be cool to get rc models scale to his class. Well any ways starting off it?s a pro boat Ul-19 still stock except the steering servo. I?m looking into replacing the esc as research and prone to overheating issues I?m wanting to replace it with something better. Starting off I?m looking at getting a dual water pick up rudder and a esc. For voltage mostly plan on running 5s and sometimes 6s. Im currently running 4s and and have 3s battery?s I haven?t tried yet. Im still like to run the stock motor for now and it?s a 2000kv dynamite motor. My friend in his same boat has the sealing 180a v3 and he?s having problems with it already cutting off after one minute on 5-6s single Repeating repeating flash. I believe low voltage issue. Witch I've read theres been issues with that esc and improper low voltage detect. So any recommendations for a good esc that will be great thank you

Go with a Raider 150. (Flycolor 150) It will handle your needs with room to expand. Half the price of the 180. Consider a lower KV motor for 6S.(1300-1700kv) The 2000 works but limits your prop selection and efficiency.
    Mic

Mic Halbrehder
    IMPBA 8656
    NAMBA 1414

I was looking at the raider from the OSE store and that shows it has more caps installed on it. Hopefully not a dumb question but how does having more caps installed unlike the fly color one help with performance. Trying learn as I go and understand going into the boating hobby. For the motor I do have a plan of upgrading just the esc and dual cooling for right now.

https://www.intlwaters.com/threads/r...voltage.57952/

Here is a thread from I Waters that was a pretty good discussion on advantages and possible disadvantage of improper cap installation. As for the Raider VS Flycolor you probably will never notice a difference but the caps add a little headroom so to speak.
    Mic

Mic Halbrehder
    IMPBA 8656
    NAMBA 1414

Your esc could be fine. We don't know exactly what batteries you have from your car so they could be the problem.

Exactly what are they? Brand, MAH, C rating.
    Nortavlag Bulc

My two 2s lipos are. Power hobby pro Lipo 5200 mah and 50c rating 50 c continuous and 100 C Burst.
    I haven’t used my 3s yet to achieve. 5s or 6s. My 3s packs are lectron pro 5200 50c. The stock esc is the dynamite 120a esc. How ever I did order the raider 150 amp esc and the dual pick up rudder. Thanks for the reply