Thread: Flex Shaft Wire Lay and Prop Rotation

Default Flex Shaft Wire Lay and Prop Rotation

Hello beautiful people - hope you are all well?

Could somebody clarify things for me with regards to prop rotation and flex shaft wire lay please?

I have just acquired some props for my Mono 1 and Mono 2. These are the opposite hand to the ones I normally use (RH instead of LH rotation)

A search on here (and other places) suggests that I need to get a flex shaft with a RH Lay to use with these.

All indications are that the wire lay needs to be such that when the prop rotates it "tightens" the flex.

So the question is, which way does the cable lay for RH and LH props?

My current props and shafts have the props turning CC/W and the cable lay is from Top Left to Bottom Right

I assume I need a flex shaft that runs Top Right to Bottom Left. Am I on the right track here?

Thanks
    Andy

You are right on your thinking of the RH rotation flex top right to bottom left.

If you are intending on racing those monos, sell them and get LH rotation props. A RH prop will turn better to the left than the right, and races are clockwise so only require right hand turns.

If you are sure you will never want to race, it is viable to use a RH prop, along with a RH flex, and the rudder mounted in the centre or on the left side of the transom instead of the usual right side, and run counterclockwise.

Edit, I forgot to say, and run counterclockwise.
    Last edited by NativePaul; 04-28-2020 at 11:43 PM.
    Paul Upton-Taylor, Greased Weasel Racing.

You have to remember that when you order a prop from Europe if you want to order a left hand prop, you need to order a right hand prop from Europe. The reason is that here in North America we look at the boat from the rear, in Europe they look at the boat from the front.

When you ordered your props did you specify a left hand prop?? if so you then received a right hand prop.

Best would be to sell the those props and get the other rotation. I will help greatly for making right hand turns.

Larry
    Past NAMBA- P Mono -1 Mile Race Record holder
    Past NAMBA- P Sport -1 Mile Race Record holder
    Bump & Grind Racing Props -We Like Em Smooth & Wet

Hi all - thanks for the responses.

So it does seem that (unless I run the course anti clockwise) these wont work very well.

No problem. I got a dozen 2 and a dozen 3 bladed aluminium and brass props for a couple of quid each so its no great loss.

They are all surface props and range from 38 to 54 mm in diameter. What (if anything can I use them for?

Andy

Quote Originally Posted by TRUCKPULL View Post
    You have to remember that when you order a prop from Europe if you want to order a left hand prop, you need to order a right hand prop from Europe. The reason is that here in North America we look at the boat from the rear, in Europe they look at the boat from the front.

When you ordered your props did you specify a left hand prop?? if so you then received a right hand prop.

Best would be to sell the those props and get the other rotation. I will help greatly for making right hand turns.

Larry
    Good info Larry, I didn't know that. . .good to know. Always learn something new here. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TRUCKPULL View Post

Larry
    What about ordering from Asia/China? Who?s convention do they follow, North America or Europe? The seller?s pics help, of course, if they?re of the actual prop.

Thanks

From what I have seen - they follow the North American rules.

Larry
    Past NAMBA- P Mono -1 Mile Race Record holder
    Past NAMBA- P Sport -1 Mile Race Record holder
    Bump & Grind Racing Props -We Like Em Smooth & Wet

Thanks!