Thread: 1 mini servo or 2 micro servos?

Default 1 mini servo or 2 micro servos?

Hey, guys. Finishing up my first FE (scratchbuilt), and, in order to balance it, I had to move the battery pack back. I thought I had enough room for a servo, but turns out I do not have enough room for a regular sized servo (not only width, but also height). Now, I BELIEVE I have a mini servo (I believe it has metal gears, IIRC) among the big pile of RC parts I have in the storage closet, but I am SURE I have 2 microservos there (plastic gears for sure). Do not ask the brand, I do not remember (micro servos could be FMA direct? Mini servo could be Hobbico? I don't remember)! My question is, do you think it is better to run a single mini servo or 2 microservos? My rudder has both sides enabled, so I can have one going to each side... And I DO have 2 boots left (in fact, I drilled both holes thinking I needed both, then epoxied one close when I saw I only needed one; I regret doing that now!). The boat is 30" and powered by a Leopard LBP4074-B 1800KV, for reference.

Here is the component layout also:

15877556485972889504430095187629.jpg

Notice there is little space in the rear, and servo HAS to go in the rear for balance.

Finally got around to looking... So the micro servos, one has a busted gear, so it is a no go. The mini servo is this one. You think it will hold up to the cat?

We have no idea what servo you are talking about, how about a description or photo? For a 30” boat the CG seems very far to the rear, but we don’t know anything about it - hydro, mono, etc. Adding a photo or two of the entire boat might help us to give you meaningful recommendations.

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

Click on "this" above... it will take you to the following link: https://servodatabase.com/servo/hitec/hs-225bb

It is a Hitec HS-225BB, he linked to it in the post above yours.

If you are not racing (ie no contact with foreign objects like other boats or buoys) you might get away with that servo for a while, but I wouldn't use it personally.

To me a 30" FE boat deserves a GOOD metal or carbon geared digital mini servo or a decent standard size servo.
    Paul Upton-Taylor, Greased Weasel Racing.

Is it worth it to get the metal gear kit for this servo? Or better to just get one that comes with it? The kit is $8 in Amazon... Now, it HAS to be mini servo sized, or it will not fit. Regular servos are too high for that position (and too wide). I will not be racing, as there are no races here in Panama that I know of... in fact, I know very few people with boats.

Metal gears would help it survive any flips or spin outs you may have, but for $8 I would add a few more bucks and look into getting a cheap Chinese digital servo with metal gears, which will have much better holding power.
    Paul Upton-Taylor, Greased Weasel Racing.

One servo is enough, I ran 35'' boats with Futaba first price servo, no problem.

Click on "this" above... it will take you to the following link: https://servodatabase.com/servo/hitec/hs-225bb
    I guess the OP doesn’t want us to know about his 30” boat. Knowing details would help us to better answer his question, a 75 mph hydro would need a different servo than a 45 mph model.....

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for