Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: To build or buy... what?s worth the cost?

Default To build or buy... what?s worth the cost?

New guy here, thanks in advance for any advice... I will try to keep this ?to the point?

After lots of research and shopping around I have come to accept that a decent twin motor setup is about $450. Described below.

Twin 4070 brushless, 150A esc, 3/16? flex cable assembly (normal and reverse), two speed master 21 struts.... you get the picture.

My struggle here is I?m looking at $400-450 before I even get a hull and for that I would imagine there are RTR or ARTR boats in this range capable of keeping up with what I am building..?

Am I doing this all wrong? Should I be looking at a cheap RTR to upgrade or just be happy with? Maybe a used boat but I fear I have no idea what to look for and could easily buy a lemon...

I reached out to the local boat club here in Orlando and was told to come here to look around. Unfortunately that?s about all the advice I could get... much thanks to any and all willing to help a new guy. ..cheers..

I would buy a quality RTR. It will give you a excellent platform to start out on and learn from. When the day comes that you can’t buy what you want then your first build will be more successful.
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius - and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction."
    --Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by rearwheelin View Post
    I would buy a quality RTR. It will give you a excellent platform to start out on and learn from. When the day comes that you can’t buy what you want then your first build will be more successful.
    Thanks for the input... RTR is admittedly the easy answer. I would probably lower my budget a bit and hope for a decent hull that could be upgraded later. I?m definitely more of a builder, I take pride in it as I?m sure many do. Buying RTR just doesn?t give that same feeling of accomplishment in most cases...

I would love to hear some RTR or kit suggestions from those with experience. Preferably around or below the $400 range. A solid starting point that I can build from is what I am after I think. A solid hull and drive gear would put me in a good place to upgrade later I feel.

Thanks for the input. ..cheers..

Team, Has ProBoat resolved the issues with the RTR Zelos 36 twin? That may be a candidate for RebelTX.
    Cheetah, Super Rio, (Mod) Starship (Mod and sold),

If your more of a builder then by all means build your own. There are so many different ways to build these. I have three boats that I probably can say are built like no others and that alone is satisfying.
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius - and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction."
    --Albert Einstein

A TP4070 is a lot of motor. Two of them, well, that's twice a lot of motor, especially for a first build. I agree, get a quality RTR, used even. Run it hard, break it, learn to fix it. Upgrade it. Its a good, complete platform to start with that you can tinker and learn with as your skills and understanding grow.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

I appreciate the input and have been doing more searching this morning.... I am leaning towards a Cat style hull so I have been looking at reasonably priced RTR's with fiberglass hulls and have also been looking for some kits but I have come up short on decent pre-cut kits. I wouldn't mind assembling the inner structure and laying the fiberglass i dont think, It would be a learning experience. But i have not found kits like this.

Currently all I have found is the Pro Boat Veles 29" as it is about $400, has a Fiberglass Hull and is brushless... but i am sure there are more options.

I have not yet for a suitable Cat Kit

Thanks for all the input so far, any other suggestions on RTR's or kits would be appreciated. ..Cheers..

You can find some deals on a used Zelos 36 Twin. Promarine RC 32" Skater and MTR single motor cats would be in that used price range too.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

I totally get you in the satisfaction of building your own boat.

Personally, unlike some, I find building a chore, but I love having a boat that I have built at the end of it, there is a real pride in having done it for me, and even more so if I designed it too.

I do have 2 RTRs too, both heavily modified and painted to try to get some sort of ownership of them, but at the end of the day there are hundreds out there that are more or less the same, and I would happily run them both over with my car before I sold one of the boats I have built.

There is a middle ground for me, and that is buying a hull, painting it and fitting it out, it doesn't give me the satisfaction of a built boat, but it is as easy as modding an RTR, and as I have chosen the hull with what I think is the best compromises for my intended use and all the best gear for my available budget and done some problem solving along the way, they do at least feel like they are mine.

IMO RTRs can be great deals due to the economy of scale I doubt you could build a better general running around boat than some of the RTRs out there for the price. However they are built to a price, and the best you can hope for is decent low budget electrics inside a good hull. While you can upgrade electrics very easily, if you are planning on upgrading the electrics from the start then an RTR doesn't make sense financially to me.

From the size of the twin motors you are thinking of the only RTR I can think of that would come close is the TFL Zonda.

It is in a different league of size and a mono so you may well not be interested, but check out the Tenshock Mini Mono (also known as Oxidean Mini Dominator) and Mini Scord. Tenshock are the only company I know of that are making epoxy hulls (Aquacraft, Proboat, TFL, and Joysway all use vinylester resin (don't know about Promarine as they don't have a presence here in the UK so I have never seen one in the flesh), the design and build of those hulls are great, and the hardware is great, the motor in the ARTR version is a good budget item, the Servo and ESC are both decent low budget items. While they are much smaller than what you are thinking of, they are self righting so rough water is even less risky than a much bigger cat, and while they are not nearly as fast in outright mph, because they are smaller scale they look and act just as fast, while coming in ARTR at a little over half your power system budget.
    Paul Upton-Taylor, Greased Weasel Racing.

Thanks for the great information! The Pro marine boats look amazing if I can find something lightly used. The Tenshock boats are a nice value it seems but not really my flavor. The Cat hull they sell looks like it could be something to build on however.

I too agree it is very hard to beat the price to performance of some RTR boats. Part of the reason I chose such a beefy power system was to crush all RTR opponents lol. I?m m not sure that?s realistic at my price point, but a fun idea.

I am going to spend more time looking at options. Maybe I can convince myself a single motor is enough and that will cut cost greatly...

I think ultimately I am looking for a pro marine cat at a good price or a nice cat hull to build up. I am also going to keep looking for a hull kit I think I could tackle myself.

Thanks for the input so far. Any other kit or RTR suggestions would be great. I am also interested in opinions on the single motor idea... much thanks! ..cheers..

You should buy one of there boats.
    --Albert Einstein

You should buy one of there boats.
    Holy cow, those things are no joke! I spent some time looking around the website and there are certainly some high quality products coming from that shop it seems. I will definitely add this to the list, I even kinda like the Dom stuff....

Anyone have first hand experience with Oxidean Marine? The hulls look like top quality. An RTR might be out of my range currently with this whole virus thing killing all my work off. But a kit might be something I can swing if I put cheaper electronics in it and maybe upgrade when work picks up again...

It sucks but I know lots of people are having a hard time. Hell, I have a baby due in June and am trying to move into a house before that. The pregnancy actually got me back to RC since it?s something we can both do... hence the budget minded build.

Everyone?s input is greatly appreciated! I am certainly in better shape now than before and have some good ideas I think... always willing to hear more or take any tips for a new guy. Thanks again! ..cheers..

Do your research on the owner of OM and decide if that's someone you want to send money to and do business with. For what it's worth, all of the parts of that boat are sourced elsewhere and are not unique to OM. So, if you want to build your own boat, you can buy the hull from the manufacturer (DYmotorshop) and source your own components for the budget build-up
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Quote Originally Posted by fweasel View Post
    Do your research on the owner of OM and decide if that's someone you want to send money to and do business with. For what it's worth, all of the parts of that boat are sourced elsewhere and are not unique to OM. So, if you want to build your own boat, you can buy the hull from the manufacturer (DYmotorshop) and source your own components for the budget build-up
    Well noted... Thanks for the info!... I was more under the impression they were building hulls in house and CNC milling there own drive parts to fit the hull. The hulls look like a good value for money and drive parts look to be about the same price wherever I look. Im still trying to figure out if I will be able to afford the dual motor setup at this moment, I may end up having to go with a single motor for the time.

All the input is greatly appreciated, I will certainly end up with a much better boat build with the help everyone has provided.

Any additional information is always appreciated, I will be shopping for drive parts and trying to choose a hull in the next few days.

Thanks again ..cheers..

Quote Originally Posted by fweasel View Post
    all I did was find this video on YouTube, I’ve been out for 3 years from the hobby but do remember the owner from years ago and always seemed like a good person to me and showed his passion for this hobby. As a business person I really have no idea how he is. I have never even been to his website to look at prices or products. Just a YouTube vid that shows some cool stuff is all.
    --Albert Einstein

There is a lot of toxic water under the OM bridge. BBW...
    Nortavlag Bulc

Quote Originally Posted by ray schrauwen View Post
    There is a lot of toxic water under the OM bridge. BBW...
    I had no idea , sorry to here that !
    --Albert Einstein

Wow ! I just checked out OM page and he sure gives himself a lot of credit and one would think that he is the greatest gift to FE lol... That and he don’t care who’s intellectual property he claims for himself all that is great is from his own experience. Doesn’t seem to care who he takes business from , sounds like a shark to me.
    --Albert Einstein

i just clicked on the homepage of OM for the first time ever... wow... my head hurts.... also needed waders cause s*** got deep real quick...LOL

Wow ! I just checked out OM page and he sure gives himself a lot of credit and one would think that he is the greatest gift to FE lol... That and he don’t care who’s intellectual property he claims for himself all that is great is from his own experience. Doesn’t seem to care who he takes business from , sounds like a shark to me.
    not only FE, but RC cars, Battery tech, Speed Control tech, AND full size car audio....

I watched the video that was posted and was impressed with the product on the website. However, I was also under the impression that the brand was making its own parts. Once aware that was not the case it is more apparent that these are in fact parts anyone can buy and assemble. Perhaps the logo on his motor coolers are custom printed, and there is something to be said for a pre set up boat I suppose... but I agree there is nothing to special there and he is certainly confident in his product.

Anyways, I?m still putting a parts list together. I?m looking at rudder options and servo setup. Not sure how large of a rudder would be wanted or what the best method of service arm setup is. I am leaning towards the carbon/Kevlar mono high deep V hull And a single 4070 motor ... the search continues
    ..cheers..

Quote Originally Posted by bogieboy View Post
    not only FE, but RC cars, Battery tech, Speed Control tech, AND full size car audio....
    Treasonous, sold folks out to the commies.
    --Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by RebelTX View Post
    I watched the video that was posted and was impressed with the product on the website. However, I was also under the impression that the brand was making its own parts. Once aware that was not the case it is more apparent that these are in fact parts anyone can buy and assemble. Perhaps the logo on his motor coolers are custom printed, and there is something to be said for a pre set up boat I suppose... but I agree there is nothing to special there and he is certainly confident in his product.

Anyways, I?m still putting a parts list together. I?m looking at rudder options and servo setup. Not sure how large of a rudder would be wanted or what the best method of service arm setup is. I am leaning towards the carbon/Kevlar mono high deep V hull And a single 4070 motor ... the search continues
    ..cheers..
    This one ?91CF04F8-563F-4440-BB44-090BBBF27C68.jpg
    --Albert Einstein

I am leaning towards this 29.5" model currently but have not made a final decision (below)..... there are a ton of options for drive stuff!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/750mm-29-5-...t/274262587503

..cheers..

Quote Originally Posted by RebelTX View Post
    I am leaning towards this 29.5" model currently but have not made a final decision (below)..... there are a ton of options for drive stuff!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/750mm-29-5-...t/274262587503

..cheers..
    This is my Titan 29 from Aeromarine that I built on 4s. I have a vid of it on 6s. They build the hull how you want. This one is heavy duty fiberglass with wooden stringers, it?s virtually indestructible the way I built it.
    --Albert Einstein

I am not a fan of carbon/kevlar personally, while it does look cool, it is normally at least the same price as full carbon, and not as stiff as full carbon or as strong as full Kevlar, and it still blocks radio signals like full carbon.

I would save my money and get a glass version instead.
    Paul Upton-Taylor, Greased Weasel Racing.

Quote Originally Posted by NativePaul View Post
    I am not a fan of carbon/kevlar personally, while it does look cool, it is normally at least the same price as full carbon, and not as stiff as full carbon or as strong as full Kevlar, and it still blocks radio signals like full carbon.

I would save my money and get a glass version instead.
    I personally like fiberglass too. I run my boats hard and it’s a piece of mind knowing I can fix fiberglass verses carbon fiber boats from supplies easily obtainable from any auto store. I do have a carbon mono but I feel like it’s not nearly as strong as my gasser Aeromarine hulls
    --Albert Einstein

Thanks for the great info everyone..... I was leaning for the kevlar/carbon for strength, I had no idea it would block my receiver. Repairability is a great point to bring up, I have looked at many fiberglass options but it seems the quality varies greatly between manufacturers. Its also a price game as mentioned, I have worked out about $550 in costs for the High Deep V Hull, single 4074 motor W/ 150A ESC, and drive parts from OSE... I do have concerns with torque steer from the single motor but it is obviously the more budget minded option. I am quickly nearing the price of the TFL ARTR carbon sold on the OSE site as well for $570 with a 4082 motor and 180A ESC that may prove to be a better option as well.... Its a tough decision for sure, building still sounds nice. Is there a good fiberglass cat hull in the sub $200 range? I think I found the pro boat Vales was fiberglass but have not looked into much more before I got hooked looking at carbon thinking it would be a much stronger option. Tough choices for sure, a cat hull was the original plan and would be cool, its all a balance of cost to performance i suppose. ..cheers..

Stop driving yourself crazy. Get this (may have to wait until it comes back into stock but worth the wait). Build it with a TP 4060 and a Swordy 220 and Buckle the "f" UP . Will blow off everything you're looking at (except Randy's 4 motor monster )

https://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pr...=tfl-1134-hrdw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cl5ebHR6wR4
    2008 NAMBA P-Mono & P-Offshore Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder; '15 P-Cat, P-Ltd Cat 2-Lap
    2009/2010 NAMBA P-Sport Hydro Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder, '13 SCSTA P-Ltd Cat High Points
    '11 NAMBA [P-Ltd] : Mono, Offshore, OPC, Sport Hydro; '06 LSO, '12,'13,'14 P Ltd Cat /Mono

No limits!

--Albert Einstein

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast