Thread: Laying out the internal components

Default Laying out the internal components

Hey, guys. This is literally like my 3rd post in this forum, so, yeah, rookie question coming up... I am building my first build (you can read about that here), and was trying to figure out the component layout. This is what I was thinking:

20200418-225112.jpg 20200418-225122.jpg

I tried more or less that layout in the pool to see the angle of flotation, and, eyeballing it, it seems OK (will determine final exact position based on CG, so thing can move a bit forward or backwards), but the idea is to have the motor and battery in the center (over the tunnel), the ESC and receiver on the port side (left in the first pic), and the servo behind the battery on the starboard side (right in the first pic) but still over the tunnel, obviously (I will plug the other hole in the back I made by mistake!). I know the battery is larger than usual, but it is what I have available... I plan to use the little carbon fiber plate I got left to make the tray for the battery and the servo holder (I am out of epoxy, so it is not like I can install it anyway!).

Opinions are greatly welcome... This is my first boat build (my previous 2 boats have been RTR).

Felipe

PS: Rookie at boating; involved in RC since the mid 80's, mostly planes, though!

Hi.
    I answered over in the batteries forum before I saw these photos.
    With the layout you have there it may be difficult to get the CoG at 30-32 percent of the hull length. See how you go.
    If the CoG is too far rearward, the boat will have a tendency to backflip off the water.

I thought as much; I found this battery pack, so I plan to use this one instead. None of the CF is yet glued in; I intend to glue in the motor mount, then balance the boat by moving the battery and the ESC.

Here's how it looks now:

20200419-123101.jpg

And with the motor and battery in:

20200419-123202.jpg

By the way, did a rough CG check; it works out. Still needs to be rechecked once I cut the flexcable and glue in the motor, but it roughly checks out. I think it will work.

CG set according to the plans (that have the motor WAAAAAY forward, which mine will not be!).

f08aaaac93010a743ea9c5136fa39449.jpg

PS: I just noticed the plans say to sheet over the balsa with 1/64 ply... I hope my 2oz fiberglass hold up as well as plywood does!