Thread: Waterproofing the Receiver (Rx)

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Waterproofing the Receiver (Rx)

I've found several threads related to waterproof, or waterproofing, ESCs & servos...but none about waterproof/waterproofing receivers. In my case, I am just getting into FE, starting with a ProBoat SonicWake, and I'm planning on replacing the Rx with a Futaba (while I used to run Spektrum for my helicopters, when it comes to surface, Futaba & Sanwa/Airtronics are considerably better). Unfortunately, from what I've been able to tell, Futaba doesn't currently offer (at least in the U.S.) any waterproof-specific receivers. So, that leaves using a standard surface-specific Rx, or a dual-purpose (ie. air Rx that's also surface-compatible) Rx, and waterproofing it. I can only think of three ways of waterproofing an Rx - planning the Rx in a waterproof receiver box (commonly done by Traxxas), converting the Rx case in Flex Seal, and spraying the Rx board with a waterproofing spray. Looking at options 2 & 3.....

The quick/easy (and not necessarily better) way is to cover the Rx casing with Flex Seal, or something similar. While this does create a VERY strong waterproofing seal on the Rx casing, it doesn't completely seal the board inside (ie. is more "water-resistant" than it is "waterproof"), plus it can create excess heat inside the casing.

The final way (preferential over the Flex Seal method) is to remove the board from the casing, waterproof it using a spray, and then reseal it inside the casing. This method would completely seal the board. The most common brands are Corrosion X HD, Turbo-coat, & NeverWet, although there are several other brands. Does anyone have any first-have experience with waterproofing their Rx (or other electronics), and how well (in the long-run) did it go? Are any brands (the ones listed above, or others) known to TRULY be better in waterproofing, AND to last a lengthy time?

UPDATE:. Having contacted Futaba, I just received a reply. According to the email, they don't carry any waterproof receivers in the U.S. (the email appears to have been carefully worded to specify "in the USA", which gives the perception that they 'might' have waterproof receivers for other markets)...but, for boats, they do recommend the R304SB (which is exactly what I was already considering). In regards to this Rx, their exact response was, "For model boats we highly recommend the R304SB as it can holder a stronger link around the water line." So, now it's just a matter of determining the best waterproofing spray to use, or going with a waterproof receiver box (ie. option #1), which Futaba also suggested in their email.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Panther6834; 04-13-2020 at 05:42 PM.