Thread: 1/8 SCALE 2008 U-1 Ellstrom E-LAM Plus

Default 1/8 SCALE 2008 U-1 Ellstrom E-LAM Plus

So I jumped into the rabbit hole. I Picked up the SG121H hull kit from RC Boat Company . Just recieved the hull today looks awesome . And boy do I have a lot of work ahead of me. Hopefully I didn't bite off more than I can chew.

Hopefully you guys won't mind a lot of questions . You folks have been great with the questions I've asked so far . So here are a few pics of the hull and parts that I have picked up so far.

Parts So far
    NEU 1527 1.5Y 850KV with 8mm shaft
    Swordfish Pro+ II 240A esc
    40 X 70 Water Jacket
    HRC 1527 Hydro Motor Mount.
    Accu-tech HTFARC-100 Turn fin
    Accu-tech SRS-100 Rudder assembly - ( This was recommended by RC Boat Comp. It's designed to mound on the Starboard side of the hull. I've noticed a lot of 1/8 scales have them mounted on the Port side. Do guys just drill out the Smaller mounting hole in the rudder so they can flip the Rudder mount so that they can attach the rudder assembly on the port side).

Still need to Buy the strut assembly Accu-tech ASSA-100 Accu-Tech is out of them right now so I have to wait. I may call Rattle Snake RC and see what they can recommend for me, then I'll be able to order the stuffing tube and flex shaft.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Good luck with your build, you need to order the opposite rudder control arm to reverse, the smaller hole is designed shear point to allow rudder to break away. rossisales.com is Speedmaster and should have short hydro strut in stock. Do you plan on 8 or 10s and whats your plan for battery location?

Quote Originally Posted by trashcar View Post
    Good luck with your build, you need to order the opposite rudder control arm to reverse, the smaller hole is designed shear point to allow rudder to break away. rossisales.com is Speedmaster and should have short hydro strut in stock. Do you plan on 8 or 10s and whats your plan for battery location?
    Thanks. Ya wish I had know that before buying the AccuTech Rudder assembly Which was sugjested by RC Boat company. I ordered a Lft-Side 40/60 Rudder Control Horn from RattleSnake RC. over the weekend . I'm hoping that the Speedmaster part will fit in the Accutech Rudder assembly. I'll need to push the pin out and change out the control horn.

As of right now I'm going 8's . I haven't figured out where I'm going to put the batteries yet. I've seen where some folks are mounting them all the way up front and where others mount them to the left and right of the motor. I sub'ed to one guys build that was a carbon fiber hull like mine from RC Boat company and he put the batteries all the way forward but he never showed finished pics of where he mounted the ESC.

I'm sort of thinking of putting the ESC ,receiver and reciever battery in the radio box area and the batteries to the left and right of the motor. But that creates a new problem for me. I don't know how to make water proof battery compartments that I can cut into the sides. I picked up a water proof Savox servo that I'm going to mount back near the strut assembly.

I'm open to peoples suggestions and wisdom on this one . Saddly I have to fix my first mistake and fiberglass the holes I drilled in the transom for the rudder assembly and water inlets Now that I'm moving the rudder assembly to the left side of the transom. Learning experiences.

I've built 1/8 scales with the rudder on the starboard side & the port side. I can't really tell any difference in handling.
    Starboard side was the most preferred side some years ago.

The difference in running the rudder on the starboard side & the port side is in the feel and how it will handle at different speeds. Having the rudder on the starboard side the boat will turn faster like more of a dart or hooking. This is slight in feel and I only put the rudder on that side with riggers. Having it on the rudder on the the port side (left side) is more smoother and I prefer it on big Sports and Scales. Finding the correct ackerman geometry is more important than which side to pt it on. Basically it is the distance of between the rudder prop and turn fin. It is more crucial on the port side to make it steer like a Cadillac. On the starboard it steers more like a hot rod.
    Randy
    For ABS, Fiberglass, Carbon hulls and Stainless hardware
    BBY Racing

Thanks guys. Randy Is that the 12degrees angle? Think I read about that over on Internationalwaters.com the other day or I read it on this forum not sure.

Could be I moved mine untill I was happy with the steering. A old Nitro guy by the name Roy Munoz helped me set it up and he had me set it up to not lift the transom.
    Hear is a picture of mine not sure if it will help. I can take a better picture is you need it.
    at grand prix.jpg
    Randy
    BBY Racing

Quote Originally Posted by RandyatBBY View Post
    Could be I moved mine untill I was happy with the steering. A old Nitro guy by the name Roy Munoz helped me set it up and he had me set it up to not lift the transom.
    Hear is a picture of mine not sure if it will help. I can take a better picture is you need it.
    at grand prix.jpg
    Well now you've made me curious. I thought hydros run with the transom out of the water. Riding on the lower half of the prop .

Quote Originally Posted by 1coopgt View Post
    Well now you've made me curious. I thought hydros run with the transom out of the water. Riding on the lower half of the prop .
    Ya that is right. but if you lift it more in the turn it slows down more.
    Randy
    BBY Racing

Interesting thanks