Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Prop damage

Question Prop damage

I’m absolutely new to rc boating, and I have recently had some prop damage. I was wondering if this was enough damage to warrant Replacing the prop, and/or doing something to it. I’m open to any other suggestions because I’m so new to this.1CC73BD7-91C2-4A8A-8D7F-080B4A13E5C2.jpgA4E5B6F0-2625-4D53-A348-7221A456D47C.jpg

That prop can be fixed. You can send it to Chris Hoffmann (dasboata) and he'll take care of it. With that said, I don't know what quality of prop it was to begin with. If it's a cheap prop, having a pro repair it might not be cost effective vs. simply replacing it.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Quote Originally Posted by Dzimmermann View Post
    I’m absolutely new to rc boating, and I have recently had some prop damage. I was wondering if this was enough damage to warrant Replacing the prop, and/or doing something to it. I’m open to any other suggestions because I’m so new to this.1CC73BD7-91C2-4A8A-8D7F-080B4A13E5C2.jpgA4E5B6F0-2625-4D53-A348-7221A456D47C.jpg
    that looks like some soft azz material what is is SS or aluminium ?

The first photo looks like it would be easy to bend back to shape, but is that a crack in the blade near the root in the second photo? If so scrap it
    Paul Upton-Taylor, Greased Weasel Racing.

Ok thanks. There are no cracks, so I’ll try to bend it back into shape

At some point in time as this hobby progresses the issue of massaging props comes up. Here's a simple prop anvil that can make this activity easier :

anvil1 20200409_101939_resized.jpg

They can usually be found at used furniture stores like Goodwill ; cost just a few bucks and come with a free table lamp

Anvil 2 20200409_101952_resized.jpg
    2008 NAMBA P-Mono & P-Offshore Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder; '15 P-Cat, P-Ltd Cat 2-Lap
    2009/2010 NAMBA P-Sport Hydro Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder, '13 SCSTA P-Ltd Cat High Points
    '11 NAMBA [P-Ltd] : Mono, Offshore, OPC, Sport Hydro; '06 LSO, '12,'13,'14 P Ltd Cat /Mono

Quote Originally Posted by properchopper View Post
    cost just a few bucks and come with a free table lamp
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

L0L...that's hilarious.
    Honestly I'd just get a new prop and be done with it.

In the first picture there are some marks on the side of the rudder.
    Are they from the prop? is the rudder what caused the prop damage?

Larry
    Last edited by TRUCKPULL; 04-24-2020 at 12:04 PM.
    Past NAMBA- P Mono -1 Mile Race Record holder
    Past NAMBA- P Sport -1 Mile Race Record holder
    Bump & Grind Racing Props -We Like Em Smooth & Wet

Quote Originally Posted by TRUCKPULL View Post
    In the first picture there are some marks on the side of the rudder.
    Are they from the prop? is the rudder what caused the prop damage?

Larrt
    Good spot Larry I missed that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yea, looks like a rudder strike, let me guess, proboat sonic wake, black hull.

Quote Originally Posted by Joel63 View Post
    Yea, looks like a rudder strike, let me guess, proboat sonic wake, black hull.
    Just curious, but...what's up with the black-hulled SonicWake "hate". I know I've read several things where people have had negative things to say about the black hull, and I'm happy that I got the white hull (primarily because of the blue decals...don't care much for green), but is there really that much of a difference? Are they truly made from two different plastics, or are they just different colors of the same plastic? Btw, I noticed that the white hull has the same black plastic transom as the black hull.

~ More peace, love, laughter & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place

Not sure why, maybe the black pigment changes the properties of the plastic. There is a large thread on RC groups, when I went thru it the only reported rudder strikes were with the black hull.
    My guess is it's only happened in a hard flip/crash at high speed.

It's been proven that black Sonikwakes go faster than white ones ergo they flip/crash more often at high speed and cause more rudder strikes

Quote Originally Posted by Capt'n Crash View Post
    It's been proven that black Sonikwakes go faster than white ones ergo they flip/crash more often at high speed and cause more rudder strikes
    No, no, no...we had a huge debate on this in one of the off-road racing forums I belong to. It was ultimately determined that yellow is the fastest color, followed by white, then blue. Sad that my favorite is the third fastest.

~ More peace, love, laughter & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place

Quote Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
    No, no, no...we had a huge debate on this in one of the off-road racing forums I belong to. It was ultimately determined that yellow is the fastest color, followed by white, then blue. Sad that my favorite is the third fastest.

Hahaha so that is why I paint my boats yellow! And here's me thinking it was just so I could see them better
    NZMPBA 2013, 2016 Open Electric Champion. NZMPBA 2016 P Offshore Champion.
    2016 SUHA Q Sport Hydro Hi Points Champion.
    BOPMPBC Open Mono, Open Electric Champion.

Orange is the fastest colour, it looks ugly, but it is the most opaque pigment, so you don't need as thick a layer of paint or gelcoat for an even coverage, and thus your boat/car/plane weighs less and is faster.

Quote Originally Posted by NativePaul View Post
    Orange is the fastest colour, it looks ugly, but it is the most opaque pigment, so you don't need as thick a layer of paint or gelcoat for an even coverage, and thus your boat/car/plane weighs less and is faster.

I concure orange is clearly the fastest! To break it down further, florecent orange / hi visual racing are faster that international orange, I have been testing all shades of orange since the late 80's
    PROBOAT BlackJack 24", ShockWave 26"
    MRP U-31, 3 tunnels VS1, MRP Bud Light, Dumas HS Sprint

I would disagree strongly there, florescent colours need to go over a white base, so are the heaviest and slowest.

Visibility is subjective and different against different backgrounds under different lights, but most people find florescent pink the most visible against most lakes, at most times.

I'll disagree with that ! In roundy round race water, weight is your friend for the most part. My PT SS is orange, orange chrome in fact . That's orange over chrome, a Lotus colour. Hens the term Orange you hot !! Now just gotta work on the set up to keep the damn thing on the water!!
    J.

you guys are all wrong... metal flake blue is the fastest... boat.jpg

Is it safe to assume the boat in the pic is only half as fast , seeing only half the boat is blue metal flake and half the slowest colour white !!

Sure wish I had a black one: because black is the new fast

Talk about being bored at home,
    woke up here in Mi with about 1" of white stuff on the ground and right now it is snowing to beat all hell.

Quote Originally Posted by jaike5 View Post
    Is it safe to assume the boat in the pic is only half as fast , seeing only half the boat is blue metal flake and half the slowest colour white !!
    ahhh but that is where you are wrong, as there is blue metal flake UNDER the white, AND the white is actually a white/silver/blue pearl....

on a side note, its half as fast because it has a big heavy 23cc gas engine in it, and its a 40 yr old hull... not the color...LOL

pipenew.jpg

OK, so as long as we've gone off the original topic AND I have some "spare" time (like being under house arrest minus the fashion-delete ankle bracelet) I will say that as a practicing oval racer, being fully aware of your rig on the course is all important. At first I was a lane 4 or 5 racer, then had two cataract lens replacement operations (clinical trial - yahoo) and now I can stay closer both to the inside lane and the pins (mostly) Then I painted my MC Yellow (I've been in heats when they were new on the market and there were 2 or 3 MC's in the original stock livery) boy was that fun and cornfusing.

Not only has the newer yellow paint job made it easier to see where my boat is relative to the course, it keeps reminding me of my favorite circular nutrition module waiting for me in the pits after the heat :

Donut 20200421_140942_resized (2).jpg

With faster boats like P Sport Hydros perfect vision under various lighting conditions is enhanced by standout colors. My favorite example from WW in Arizona a few years ago when dusk was approaching:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=giN0xQeA8RE&t=125s

And finally a VERY IMPORTANT consideration in choosing a hull color when oval racing is making sure the BOTTOM COLOR is as visible as possible when resting belly up (yes it will happen to You ) in the lanes on the back straight (or actually anywhere on the course). When dead on the course your boat is but a teensy speed bump for the other boats in the heat who, if their pit spotter or the CD or Course Judge can see the dead boat and call it out, will (mostly) drive around it.
    Last edited by properchopper; 04-21-2020 at 06:23 PM.
    2008 NAMBA P-Mono & P-Offshore Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder; '15 P-Cat, P-Ltd Cat 2-Lap
    2009/2010 NAMBA P-Sport Hydro Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder, '13 SCSTA P-Ltd Cat High Points
    '11 NAMBA [P-Ltd] : Mono, Offshore, OPC, Sport Hydro; '06 LSO, '12,'13,'14 P Ltd Cat /Mono

L0L..I had no idea my tongue in cheek comment abut black Sonicwakes being faster than white ones would spark so much controversy. Hope it put a smile on some of your faces

Quote Originally Posted by Capt'n Crash View Post
    L0L..I had no idea my tongue in cheek comment abut black Sonicwakes being faster than white ones would spark so much controversy. Hope it put a smile on some of your faces
    I think I'm at "fault" for picking up on your comment, and "running" with it. Can't claim to know about others, but I try to find ways to inject a lil humor into everything I possiblity can (if appropriate). We all need a little humor in our lives...especially in light of the times we're currently living through. I have a saying I came up with many (many, many) years ago - "You can't truly make it through life successfully without a good sense of humor." You can "blame" my mother, or my having worked Renaissance Faires...or both...lol. If you ever find yourself in the RCC (RC Crawler) forum, check out my build threads...particularly my first Capra, and the Baja Rey 'hop-up' I'm currently working on (plenty humor in both).

Best thing you could have done these days (give everyone a good chuckle a chance to vent with a sense of humor) in being in lock down, made my day just reading the post.
    Last count, 183 more died here in MI yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnc View Post
    Best thing you could have done these days (give everyone a good chuckle a chance to vent with a sense of humor) in being in lock down, made my day just reading the post.
    Last count, 183 more died here in MI yesterday.
    But seriously....

fart 20200112_200603_resized.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by bogieboy View Post
    you guys are all wrong... metal flake blue is the fastest... boat.jpg
    I could not agree more... And it is even FASTER if you mix said blue with metalic silver!

20200417_174425.jpg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast